The band I am about to be playing for wants me to play lead, even though I offered to play rhythm because I'm not that great, but all they need is a lead. Can anyone provide me with some tips or web sites for learning how to play lead well? I can improv stuff, but it won't be too great
check out discoverguitaronline.com free lead licks, those will help also cyberfret.com, you probably already know this but they key to good lead playing is to stay relaxed the whole time and to never back out of a fast passage even if you mess up a bit.
Fear the Evil Chainsaw Wielding Penguin...
learn all your modal scales...get good at alternate picking...maybe learn to sweep, and definitely learn to tap
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Line 6 Spider III 150 2x12
Massive pedal board
Spector Legend Custom 5 string
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
stick to the key of the song

climb up and down the scale stopping an adding vibrato on every third or fourth note
thats some basic stuff

what u can do play the notes that are within the chord of rhythm
Quote by BassGuitarGod
learn all your modal scales...get good at alternate picking...maybe learn to sweep, and definitely learn to tap

+15 level up!!

I'd like to add that most solos in commercial music these days fits rather
nicely into the blues scale. A lot of metal solos fit right into modes..

Listen to great guitarists...start learning from them. Study what they do.

I once had a guy tell me that David Gilmour live is not a concert..it's a clinic.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
i agree with what Washburnd said...look into guitarists like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, Jeff Loomis, Chris Broderick, etc...
but never listen to Job For A Cowboy or any deathcore bands because that will skull**** your playing
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Line 6 Spider III 150 2x12
Massive pedal board
Spector Legend Custom 5 string
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Quote by BassGuitarGod

Modes aren't the be all and end all of guitar music, they're not even particularly important. You certainly shouldn't be advising someone to play them if you don't understand them yourself.

The major scale is the cornerstone of modern music, modes are just an aside to explore when you start to exhaust the possibilities that the major scale offers.

TS - forget modes even exist for the time being, they're not going to help and you're in no position to learn them yet anyway. To get playing some lead quickly you can learn the box shapes of the minor pentatonic scale as a quick fix, but long term you need to be learning the theory behind the scale in order to us it effectively. That means learning the notes on the fretboard and learning the ins and outs of the major scale - the Crusade articles by Josh Urban in the columns section are a good starting point.

Likewise forget stuff like tapping and sweeping for the time being, they're not essential techniques by any stretch of the imagination, they're flashy things for embellishing your playingt. You want to be working on your picking accuracy and your core lead techniques like slides, bends, hammer ons and pull ofs. Finally, use your ears, concentrate on playing melodically and cleanly, there's no point trying to go too fast if it's going to sound sloppy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

Modes aren't the be all and end all of guitar music, they're not even particularly important. You certainly shouldn't be advising someone to play them if you don't understand them yourself.

The major scale is the cornerstone of modern music, modes are just an aside to explore when you start to exhaust the possibilities that the major scale offers.

TS - forget modes even exist for the time being, they're not going to help and you're in no position to learn them yet anyway. To get playing some lead quickly you can learn the box shapes of the minor pentatonic scale as a quick fix, but long term you need to be learning the theory behind the scale in order to us it effectively. That means learning the notes on the fretboard and learning the ins and outs of the major scale - the Crusade articles by Josh Urban in the columns section are a good starting point.

Likewise forget stuff like tapping and sweeping for the time being, they're not essential techniques by any stretch of the imagination, they're flashy things for embellishing your playingt. You want to be working on your picking accuracy and your core lead techniques like slides, bends, hammer ons and pull ofs. Finally, use your ears, concentrate on playing melodically and cleanly, there's no point trying to go too fast if it's going to sound sloppy.

+1

tapping and sweeps arent that important to sound good
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Herman Li would beg to differ...

Anyway, yeah, follow the seagull's advice, it knows all.

Herman Li also isn't in this guy's position......you DEFINETLY don't have to be flashy and tap and sweep and do fast legato runs to be a good lead player.....hendrix clapton page gilmour slash are all good examples of that....just check out sites like cyberfret and learn all the BASIC'S first. then worry about all the other advanced things
Schecter Hellraiser
Schecter S1+
Schecter Gryphon
Mesa Dual Rec.
Line6 Spider lll 75Watt Combo
WAY too many effects to list
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
A lot of metal solos fit right into modes..

No. Basically all metal solos are in the natural minor scale with some alterations. They're very rarely modal. I'm going to echo steven seagull's -1.

TS: Look for some basic blues licks and also learn the minor pentatonic and major scales. Make sure your alternate picking is solid, and work on basic bending and vibrato techniques along with some simple legato.