i guess i'm making this to see how well i can trust peoples thoughts on here
i'm just wondering cuz i have ran into some people that judge gain horribly, that think that just a little gain will death metal vice versa. So i was wondering what you all thought the LEVEL of the mg's "crushing overdrive" is
i know it sucks, but i personally it can barely, just barely do thrash metal, i really can't see it even doing that well (but that probably has to do with it sucking) anyway and of course i was also wondering in comparison, does the jcm 900 have as much, less, or more gain than the mg? i was thinking more but i'm not sure
anyway i'm just looking to approve of what peoples gain opinions are
oh and keep in mind i know the mg sucks, i'm just using this as an example
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
The gain on an MG is like mic'ing up a beehive.

I don't know much about the JCM900. But I'm fairly sure that it has much more gain than an MG.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Quote by E V H 5150
The gain on an MG is like mic'ing up a beehive.

I don't know much about the JCM900. But I'm fairly sure that it has much more gain than an MG.

yes i know its a beehive...
but do you agree with my gain observation?
barely thrash metal something like that?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I was never able to find a use for the gain. I don't listen to trash metal, so I don't know much about the tone. But what I can say is that I couldn't find any sort of acceptable tone out of the gain channel. It was very weak, so I couldn't do metal at all. It was kind of a weak bluesy drive to it... I haven't used it for a long time, and when I last used it I had my ME-50 for distortion and all my tonal needs.

Couldn't really find a good rock tone, or blues tone, or metal tone. I guess maybe jazz could be done on it, kind of. If you were drunk. Then again, I also had the 15W version, so maybe the bigger ones have better tone than the cheap practice sized amps. But with mine I never found use for the gain, and a distortion pedal handled all of that for a while.

I can't describe the level of gain very well. Just that it was very weak. Very thin... very dull and boring. I don't think it was as much distortion/"crushing overdrive" as it was just buzz. It was buzzy, and that's all. Not really anything, no character or definition, just buzz. Just take the clean tone and add a bunch of buzz and you've got the gain of an MG.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
The 900s I've played have about enough gain to do Metallica, more modern metal depending on how much gain you use. With an OD it definitely has enough.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The 900s I've played have about enough gain to do Metallica, more modern metal depending on how much gain you use. With an OD it definitely has enough.

ah see thats encouraging, even if i don't play modern metal..tehe
what do you think of them in general matrixclaw?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE