So far my soloing consists of using the pentatonic scale and the blues scale. What other scales should I learn to make my soloing sound more like guitarists like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Paul Gilbert. Would learning modes help because ive been learning modes lately but im not sure if thats the next thing I should learn. I already know the major scale, its just i rarely use it in my soloing because it doesnt fit a lot of times with backing track of the song im jamming to. Im not sure if its because im basically playing the ionian mode over a wrong progression.
Thanks in advance
definitely lear modes but memorize the patterns and move them around into different keys and positions...learn to play them all over the neck...and most definitely dont mess with A Harmonic Minor to much or you'll just sound like Yngwie Malmsteen
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Line 6 Spider III 150 2x12
Massive pedal board
Spector Legend Custom 5 string
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Get a Jazz scale and chord book. Highly recommended. It'll have a bunch of scales for you.
Dorkus.
Last edited by Shortcut at Jul 21, 2008,
Quote by BassGuitarGod
definitely lear modes but memorize the patterns and move them around into different keys and positions...learn to play them all over the neck...and most definitely dont mess with A Harmonic Minor to much or you'll just sound like Yngwie Malmsteen

this is what i hate about UG is the constant reference to modes. Yes they are nice but you need to start out with the basics. the pentatonic scale is made up of 5 tones (you already knew) which are the back bone of both major and minor scales. the next step is to learn the glorified major scale which the pentatonic was derived from. This is the first step. You will never sound like your favorite guitarist so stop while your ahead. Its really that easy (but easier to said then done).