I am building a guitar wired like Tom's ATH. I was thinking earlier, How is it wired? Its a 3 way, but if you wired the 3 way switch NECK - NECK + BRIDGE - BRIDGE it won't work, because when you turn the NECK to 10 and BRDGE to 0 or vise-versa the 3 way will work as an ON-ON-OFF or OFF-ON-ON.

So how do I wire the guitar up so when I put one pickup up to 10 and the other to 0 it creates an ON-OFF-ON type switch without making the toggle switch NECK - BRIDGE - NECK + BRIDGE.

I don't know if its possible, but some how Tom does it so there must be a way?
you install it as a kill switch, so the middl kills the signal it dosent switch pickups, go to the ultimate killswitch thread
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
im not sre, but my V is wired sorta like that, a three way with n-nb-b, and if i put the neck to 0 its off off on.

dunno why but the volume on either of the pickups cancels out the other when turned down.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
what he said
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
My les paul switch is a passable facade of a killswitch with one set to zero and one to ten. Aslong as you arent stalling at the middle noone will notice
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
yes but morello has a seperate pickup switch, all you need is a 3 way toggle wired as a kill if u want exactly what he has, or an spst swtich or button if u dont
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I dont want a killswitch, i want a toggle switch that i can switch between the pickups. And i want a ON - OFF - ON type switch when i turn one volume to 10 and the other to 0.

Any Ideas?
Quote by rancidryan
yes but morello has a seperate pickup switch, all you need is a 3 way toggle wired as a kill if u want exactly what he has, or an spst swtich or button if u dont

Thats on his Soul Power one.
les paul wiring diagram just turn down one volume knob down all the way then the only other way is for 2 switches i think
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Quote by guitarcam123
I dont want a killswitch, i want a toggle switch that i can switch between the pickups. And i want a ON - OFF - ON type switch when i turn one volume to 10 and the other to 0.

Any Ideas?

sorry, but that configuration isn't gonna happen. i dont know 100% on this, but i dont think toms ATM has the neck+bridge option because of the way he has wired the toggle, he gave up that option in place of having a killswitch.
mmm...
i see, im not sure if what im saying is what your saying rednwhiteblues. So im thinking the 1st position wired to the neck, middle position wired to the volume pot or jack or whatever so its off, and the 3rd position wired to the bridge.

So
Neck - Off - Bridge

Sounds alright to me!
if anyone has any other ideas feel free to post cause thats what forum are for!!
You can buy SPDT switches that would be ON-OFF-ON, but I don't know if you could get one that would be the same size as your existing one.
ok...
im not trying to make one like tom soul power. And i don't already have an existing switch or even a guitar. I am building one. Im still not sure, maybe ill steal toms arm the homeless and have a look at the wiring and then return it in the morning.
im sure that he just uses the normal wiring and has the volume of the bridge pick up at 10 and the neck at 0 and uses the pick up selector to go between them acting as a kill swich...not sure about it but i think i saw that somewhere in an interview with him
from my knowledge i dont think you can make a Neck - nothing - Bridge pickup switch.
The one Tom used to use was like many other people said with the bridge at 10 and neck at 0 and then its an on-on-off but he changed it (or rather got someone else to do it) so that there is a seperate switch to toggle on-off-on.
Buckethead uses a killswitch also but his is a push to make off-on button which i installed on my guitar which is relatively simple to do and can more or less do the same.
so in your choice i suspect its time to drill holes or not have a killswitch at all.
I don't understand why don't want to do the usual pickup way turned as the way you are talking about doesn't really gain you any thing fo sho.
You should either use the volume method or install a real killswitch...
Don't know where you'd buy one of those though...
Call me Duncan.

Nearly always have D'addario EXL110 strings instock - just ask!

Custom made guitar slides available - choose the glass, length etc.. Engraving availible. PM or email for more info.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
Quote by eruption1988
im sure that he just uses the normal wiring and has the volume of the bridge pick up at 10 and the neck at 0 and uses the pick up selector to go between them acting as a kill swich...not sure about it but i think i saw that somewhere in an interview with him

You did see it in an interview. It was on TRL and I saw it too.
Quote by AudioRage8 5 6
do u have 2 vol pots?

Yeah, 2 vol, 1 tone just like toms.
Soul power is the guitar with 2 switches, arm the homeless (the one i want mine to be like) has only one, And tom has it as on - off - on, by turning one pickup to 10 and the other to 0.
i was thinking today during maths at school, (as i didn't feel like doing any work, and guitar is much more funner than Maths!) Maybe it is on - on/off - off. What i mean here is that the neck is on the bridge is off and when it's in the middle position it makes a sort of buzzing sound as one of the pickups is on and the other off. Anyone know anything about this, or can try it out on there guitar?
its wired in the standard neck-Neck+bridge-bridge. when in the middle position if one vol is at 0 it will make no sound and if you tap the switch gently you get the sound. The guitar is wired just like a les paul with both vols going into a single tone pot.
LP mod thingy

buy guitars please, need money for RGR420ex
Member No.18 of the 'Yes I am Irish and no more Leprechaun jokes please'
"Member #9 of the I Love Hayley Williams Club. PM Gibson_SG_uzr55 to Join"
^ so your saying its not like On on off or On off off, Its sort of like a 3 way on off but with like (buzzing/ whatever you call the sound a killswitch makes? lol) in the middle position?
tom's killswitching is done by turning one pick-up to 0 and the other to 10 and using a toggle
No ****. Way to thread-from-the-dead.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.