An expensive guitar. I saw Less Than Jake tonight (don't hate on the band, just stick to the subject). Usually their guitarist plays Gibson LP's but he played most of the show with a couple Epi lp standards. and it was the best sounding show of theirs i've ever seen.

How little difference is there between the two guitars? I've never played them both through the same amp so i don't really know.
I want Super Saiyan abilities
I highly doubt it was a stock Epi Lp. You can tell a high end Gibson apart from an Epi (usually), it also depends on what amp(s) he was playing though.
maybe it was the amps not the guitar.

but honestly, imo, epi and gibson are virtually the same.

i say virtually because ive played an epi V and mine blows it out of the water =P
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
says the man with the epiphone....

lolz
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
Although it is true that you don't NEED an expensive guitar. LTJ are ska (well idk about recent stuff) I mean guitar wise IMO it's quite easy to get a good ska tone... anyways it depends on everything so you don't necessarily need a nice guitar lol.

/ weird way of agreeing
dude i ****in love my Epi Black Beuty Custom...

ive played the same gibson and they sounded the same...

only big diff to me is that epi has ****ty gold hardware cuz it starts to rub off within the first year

and when i get a bigsby put on it i cant even imagine the possibilites=]]]
Most of the time, the sound is not projected by the instrument itself. The only way you could actually tell the difference audio-wise is if the guitar he was playing was of completely different specs. Most of your sound comes from the amp/pickups, the feel of the guitar is why people choose Gibson over Epiphone, and ESP over LTD.

Though, recently, pretty much Gibson = Epiphone in terms of quality.
Quote by Deep*Kick
why do you need to have ur amp flat bickie in your house if you are just practicing is what i'm wondering? Of course it's bad for every1's hearing

Rig:
Ibanez Xiphos7 w/ Blackouts -or- ESPh307->MXR ZW-44-> Peavey 6505+

7/ERG Legion
they were definitely epiphone standards, though i guess the pickups could've been swapped for better ones
and there is a very big difference between good ska tone and bad ska tone
as well as good and bad punk tone
like i said
please ignore the band and stick to the question i asked
I want Super Saiyan abilities
I can add a bit to this. I just recently acquired a Jackson DKMG...

I also have an Ibanez RG ($200) one.

Albeit the Jackson is not a 1000+ guitar, it is pretty nice.

The difference between the two is slim. Played through my same amp, in the same tune, blah blah... they sound practically identical. The basswood of the Ibanez gives a little bit more tonal nuetrality whereas the Alder body from the Jackson is more bright.

Yes there is a difference... but not enough to warrant 4-500$

Pickups is the main difference between the two. If I swapped the pickups I'm pretty sure that the differences would swap as well.

So... after this my conclusion is, expensive guitars are not worth it. Amp is where its at,... period.

BUT.. thats not saying that cheap guitars are the end all be all of everything. It all depends on how well it was made.

I don't think I will ever spend more than $400 on a guitar... ever.
Quote by dorfeater
I can add a bit to this. I just recently acquired a Jackson DKMG...

I also have an Ibanez RG ($200) one.

Albeit the Jackson is not a 1000+ guitar, it is pretty nice.

The difference between the two is slim. Played through my same amp, in the same tune, blah blah... they sound practically identical. The basswood of the Ibanez gives a little bit more tonal nuetrality whereas the Alder body from the Jackson is more bright.

Yes there is a difference... but not enough to warrant 4-500$

Pickups is the main difference between the two. If I swapped the pickups I'm pretty sure that the differences would swap as well.

So... after this my conclusion is, expensive guitars are not worth it. Amp is where its at,... period.

BUT.. thats not saying that cheap guitars are the end all be all of everything. It all depends on how well it was made.

I don't think I will ever spend more than $400 on a guitar... ever.

I beg to differ, when comparing my Jackson Professional to the one that my dad owns which is hand-made, the handmade one sounds WAY better when played through the same amp with same settings, it's because of the pickups.
Quote by XianXiuHong
I beg to differ, when comparing my Jackson Professional to the one that my dad owns which is hand-made, the handmade one sounds WAY better when played through the same amp with same settings, it's because of the pickups.

Right... what I meant was... a better amp will change your tone waaaay more than pickups ever would.

But... based on same amp comparison... yes.. the Pups are going to be the biggest change.