I'm currently learning Big Trouble by Dave Lee Roth and there's a bit where you have to use the bar that I don't quite get.

-
-12(b)14-r-12
-
-
-
-

Not sure how to tab for a whammy bar, but when you release the bend back to 12, you have to drop the pitch by an octave with the bar!

I depress fully and my hand's kinda quivery down there, but still get nowhere near an octave lower. I play a Strat btw, and the bridge isn't specifically set up for these sort of stunts. Is it something to do with that? Or would I have to resort to a Floyd Rose or Ibanez?

Thanx,

M
You wont get an octave down with a strat, and if you keep trying you'll probably break a string.

I think

EDIT:
Notice how the octave of the 12th fret B string would be the open string. Depress it as far as it wil go then pull of to the open B.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jul 21, 2008,
stratocaster trems are designed for vibrato, not massive whammy-bar-wankage
a floyd or ibanez is the only kind of trem that will get you those big divebombs and remain in tune
Quote by evolucian
unless you have a jeff beck strat

Ha ha yeah, thought about that already actually. The thing is, the stratocaster is such a classic and I don't really want to modify it. I love it the way it is.

In time I'll probably get an Ibanez.
if you like the strat, then maybe try out a richie sambora signature strat. the sound is nice and warm and comes with a floyd too! SSH or HSH... not sure
Quote by samlocke14
stratocaster trems are designed for vibrato, not massive whammy-bar-wankage
a floyd or ibanez is the only kind of trem that will get you those big divebombs and remain in tune

Sweet Jesus, no; no tremolo is going to get you down a full octave. As stated before, I'd assume it's just a pull-off to the open B.
Quote by mdc
Ha ha yeah, thought about that already actually. The thing is, the stratocaster is such a classic and I don't really want to modify it. I love it the way it is.

In time I'll probably get an Ibanez.

Yeah I feel the same about my relic. There is no way I would modify it. I actually bought an Ibanez for the exact same reason. I hated it though and sold it soon after. I got lucky recently and found an old 83 strat with a Floyd on it. I love it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 21, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
Yeah I feel the same about my relic. There is no way I would modify it. I actually bought an Ibanez for the exact same reason. I hated it though and sold it soon after. I got lucky recently and found an old 83 strat with a Floyd on it. I love it.

Fancy selling that one too? I only recently just got in to using the bar, so when I get more comfortable with it I'll definatley go for something with a Floyd.

Quote by :-D
Sweet Jesus, no; no tremolo is going to get you down a full octave. As stated before, I'd assume it's just a pull-off to the open B.

Trust me it can be done. Guthrie shows you on Lick Library. He's using an Ibanez which has been grouted out under the bridge so that he can pull the bar so far back that the strings actually touch the neck! aswell as the dive bombs....