Page 1 of 2
Yeeaaarrgh! I feel like ranting! Here are a few things that local bands/musicians do that piss me off. I'm no expert on playing and/or performing, but I know what I like and what I don't... so I'm gonna speak my mind. Feel free to share your stories, too.

1. At Live Shows, The Guitarist Plays To The Drummer
WHY?! There is an entire crowd there to see this guy play, and for the entire show, he's got his back turned to them, facing the drummer, playing for him (or her). I just don't get how or why this became "cool".

2. Bands Who Try Way Too Hard To Be "Energetic" And "Exciting"
I hate this. With a passion. You've all seen it. The bands with the guitarist who never stands still and has to run and drop kick the air every chance he gets... which results in the sloppiest guitar playing you've ever heard. Or how about the vocalist who also runs and jumps around, and then can't sing properly cause he's out of breath? If you're going to do that, hit the treadmill, fatty. (Also, if you're a, um... heavy-set dude, the tight-shirt emo look does not work for you. I'm sorry. Same with girls.)

3. Bands That Forget The Fact That They're Playing A Show... For Other People.
A lot of bands around here try to distance themselves from the "scene" kids who jump around and karate kick the air while playing sloppy riffs. They do this by being on the oposite end of the spectrum and looking totally bored while playing. Why can't anyone find a happy medium?

4. Bands Who Put Zero Effort Into Recording Their Songs
Just because you can't afford studio time, doesn't mean your songs have to sound like complete and utter crap. Obviously, you're not going to be able to get anywhere close to studio quality if all you have to record with is an SM58 or something... but when you give your friend a CD of your stuff, and he can't even hear the vocals, and the cymbal crashes pierce his ears like giant spikes, and the guitarist is ****ing up every line he plays, then that's not acceptable. Spend time making sure your stuff is, at the very least, listenable--for your friends' sake! If you make several major mistakes while playing, stop, go back and play it again! Take advantage of the fact that we're in the digital age, now.

5. People Who Think Expensive Gear Is Suddenly Going To Make Them A Better Musician
"Hey, dude. I just bought a three thousand dollar electric guitar!"
"Yes, but you didn't even know how to play the Squier you used to have."

6. People Who Don't Spend Their Money Wisely
"Hey, dude. I just bought a three thousand dollar guitar!"
"Yes, but now tell me how you're going to amplify that guitar?"
"What? Well I... aw ****. I didn't even think of that."

7. Bands Whose Songs Lack Any Kind Of Dynamics
All double bass drum, all distorted power chords, and all screaming all the time gets boring after a while, guys. Start, then stop, then start again; sing, then scream; whisper, then yell; drum lightly, then pound the hell out of them. This is why a lot of local hardcore and metal bands bore the **** out of me. Their songs are all exactly the same, all the way through. Maybe there's a crappy little breakdown here and there, but that's it.

8. "I Don't Need To Learn Any Theory. I Play From The Heart."
"Jimi Hendrix didn't know any theory."
"You're not Jimi Hendrix. Start Googling. Now."

Anyway, that's all I can think of at the moment. Thoughts? Contributions to the list?
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Last edited by BigFatSandwich at Jul 21, 2008,
Quote by BigFatSandwich

8. "I Don't Need To Learn Any Theory. I Play From The Heart."
"Jimi Hendrix didn't know any theory."
"You're not Jimi Hendrix. Start Googling. Now."

Why does that annoy you? There is nothing wrong with not knowing theory lol, It isn't essential to know it is it?
Very good list, especially the first one. That drives me absolutely nuts. And of course, how bad musicians have really good gear. If they can't play it, they don't deserve it.
Quote by Guitar_Obsessed
Why does that annoy you? There is nothing wrong with not knowing theory lol, It isn't essential to know it is it?

I'm not saying you have to graduate from berkeley or anything. I'm referring to people who don't even know what a major scale is... and have no desire to learn. I'm talking basics here. Like major and minor chords. (Stuff that people usually just pick up after a few years of playing, whether they want to or not.) These are all relatively easy things to learn, but they help you out immensely. If you don't know any of this stuff, it makes it really diffult to work with other musicians. It's like you don't speak their language.

And this annoys me because I've tried to work with other guitarists and it's like we're not even speaking the same language when I tell them something like, "I play an A7 here on this part."
Banging on a trash can
9. guitarists who play something amazingly hard .... then say they suck. there's nothing wrong with being humble, but it gets to a point where it's obviously just a lie.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by BigFatSandwich
1. At Live Shows, The Guitarist Plays To The Drummer
WHY?! There is an entire crowd there to see this guy play, and for the entire show, he's got his back turned to them, facing the drummer, playing for him (or her). I just don't get how or why this became "cool".

Talk to the drummer, I've done it myself although only a few second not an entire show obviously
I must admit, I'm a major junkie when it comes to power chords: I flog the crap outta them.

But I agree with you man. People gotta know when there's too many powerchords being repeated over and over. Try to take a breal and let the bassist and drummer go for a bit.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
I'm not saying you have to graduate from berkeley or anything. I'm referring to people who don't even know what a major scale is... and have no desire to learn. I'm talking basics here. Like major and minor chords. (Stuff that people usually just pick up after a few years of playing, whether they want to or not.) These are all relatively easy things to learn, but they help you out immensely. If you don't know any of this stuff, it makes it really diffult to work with other musicians. It's like you don't speak their language.

And this annoys me because I've tried to work with other guitarists and it's like we're not even speaking the same language when I tell them something like, "I play an A7 here on this part."

Yeah that makes sense i guess lol. I'll retreat back to my hole...... *runs*
Quote by Guitar_Obsessed

It's essential to being a good musician, and if you say it isn't, then you're lying to yourself.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
good list
you seem to have more or less covered it
or musos who speak out of there arse or talk themselves up as better than they are
i know im horrible and im proud of it so tell the world
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
****ty "lead guitarists who play "punk" and his bass guitarist (me) plays bass solos quicker than he can play a lead solo
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
I hate when bands jump up and down while they play for no reason.

People who place neoclassical music on par with classical music in terms of skill.
I'm back pit. :]

Anyway, On-topic:

10. Playing through huge 200W amps and such when playing in a small venue.
Just something that really pisses me off. You dont NEED to have that much... volume (for lack of a better word) in such a small place.
To be honest bands don't annoy me, it's not like they have any particular influence. People act like they are some sort of oracles. I know a lot of musicians, funny thing is ... most people who are very, very good musicians forsake certain things to get there...if you catch my meaning...they're not the brightest buttons.

And the rest of them who dance about playing power chords aren't really musicians, I don't hold it against them or care much but they're just some folk who got lucky, good for them.

People seem to expect genius from a band, as if the ability to make music makes what they do and what they think worth examining...

So I guess it's really the people that go on about the bands that annoy me, not the bands.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by HaKattack
When they steal the covers

Yeah, I hate that, too. But one way to fix that is before you fall asleep, tuck the covers underneath your body so that when they try to roll away and take it, IT WON'T MOVE! Problem solved! Now you won't wake up cold in the middle of the night.
Banging on a trash can
So I guess it's really the people that go on about the bands that annoy me, not the bands.
thats one way to get on the wrong side of everyone here:P
nah im kidding good point but
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Quote by BigFatSandwich
Yeah, I hate that, too. But one way to fix that is before you fall asleep, tuck the covers underneath your body so that when they try to roll away and take it, IT WON'T MOVE! Problem solved! Now you won't wake up cold in the middle of the night.

hahahaha yes i know i just posted twice my mistake i just read this and thought i was funny
nice
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Quote by meh!
To be honest bands don't annoy me, it's not like they have any particular influence. People act like they are some sort of oracles. I know a lot of musicians, funny thing is ... most people who are very, very good musicians forsake certain things to get there...if you catch my meaning...they're not the brightest buttons.

And the rest of them who dance about playing power chords aren't really musicians, I don't hold it against them or care much but they're just some folk who got lucky, good for them.

People seem to expect genius from a band, as if the ability to make music makes what they do and what they think worth examining...

I'm talking about local bands. I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to be annoyed by what goes on with my friends as well as at local shows in the area. What was I thinking?
Banging on a trash can
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by BigFatSandwich
I'm talking about local bands. I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to be annoyed by what goes on with my friends as well as at local shows in the area. What was I thinking?

Take what you want from it, you didn't specify that it was local bands and I felt like a rant. If you want to be sarcy then go ahead but I only said what I thought.

EDIT: If the last line looks like it's relating directly to you, it's not. It's a chain of thought that happened to end there.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
I just get annoyed when musicians tell other musicians what to do, or how things should be done.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Number 8? If you meant what you said later you might wanna add that? Otherwise you come off as a big elitist.

Agree with the poster above the poster above me said; when musicians tell others how things are supposed to be. Isn't that something for each individual who's playing to actually decide?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jul 21, 2008,
I have no problem with bands moving around a lot on stage, so long as the playing is clean. I have to say my biggest complaint is bands that don't move. I'm bored just watching you play your instruments. At the very least pace around.
I disagree with number two. Nothing wrong with putting on a proper show. I'd far rather watch someone spazzing out than standing still. Obviously there IS a happy medium, and some people know how to work a stage better than others, but for those who don't have that charisma or whatever, it's great to see that they're at least trying.

WHat annoys me at local gigs - bands who don't stay to watch the other bands.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Number 8? If you meant what you said later you might wanna add that? Otherwise you come off as a big elitist.

Agree with the poster above the poster above me said; when musicians tell others how things are supposed to be. Isn't that something for each individual who's playing to actually decide?

Hey now, if I can't stifle another musicians creativity, what the hell am I in this game for?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Hey now, if I can't stifle another musicians creativity, what the hell am I in this game for?

Hm? Are you answering to my earlier reply, before I edited it? Yeah well I didn't notice his other answer that came later in the thread which explained his thoughts. I thought he just meant that everone should know more or less all the theory because you can't be good without it and I just thought it was wrong as most guitarists/artists I've heard/listen to knew more or less zero theory when they got big.
When singers put on american accents while talking to a crowd.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Hm? Are you answering to my earlier reply, before I edited it? Yeah well I didn't notice his other answer that came later in the thread which explained his thoughts. I thought he just meant that everone should know more or less all the theory because you can't be good without it and I just thought it was wrong as most guitarists/artists I've heard/listen to knew more or less zero theory when they got big.

No, I was being sarcastic. I don't care if other musicians know theory or not, I can still get someone to play what I want without them knowing the difference between an A minor and an A minor 7th.
Quote by vintage x metal

I HATE when the guitarist is about to solo, and the singer has to mumble and say all this stupid stuff while he's soloing so the singer doesn't feel stupid or something. I WANT TO HEAR THE SOLO.
When a band plays the exact same show twice in a row I get to see them. I saw Hanoi Rocks in Januari this year and then I saw them in june this year and it was the exact same songs, the singer climbs the stage walls when the same songs started etc etc. A bit disappointed to see that to be honest.
The bands I like do nothing that annoys me really.

But things that do annoy me are when bands combine politics with music. The two should never mix.
Ever.

D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Quote by notsojoeyb4eva

But things that do annoy me are when bands combine politics with music. The two should never mix.
Ever.

Why not? Music is about sharing things, which includes ideals and beliefs, which can involve politics. Why shouldn't the two mix? Would you rather hear nothing but love songs all the time?
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by notsojoeyb4eva

Ever.

Why not?

If I'm going to listen to music, I don't want to listen to some twat telling me about this girl he likes, I want to hear about important things.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
Why not?

If I'm going to listen to music, I don't want to listen to some twat telling me about this girl he likes, I want to hear about important things.

Like about some twat telling you about some guy he likes?
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by rabidguitarist
Why not?

Page 1 of 2