I was the bassist in a band for about half a year, and last month, I couldn't take the stress/band politics and told the band that I was gonna leave at the end of August. We booked 3 concerts scheduled within this and next month, so I felt it was a commitment that I stay for those shows.

The day after I tell them, they find a replacement bassist, and me and the band was gonna work with him on the music until my departure. 3 days after finding him, we had a small show in Hollywood that I practiced with them for all week.

5 hours before we were set to go on, they told me that my services were no longer needed, and that they were gonna have the new bassist fill in from now on, despite the fact he only knew like 2 of our songs (The band was to play an 8 song set).

Ever since then, I broke all connections with them, and I removed all pictures/mentions of me on the band's myspace.

Was it harsh of me to do this. or did I make it turn into a huge deal?
Last edited by Sheer<3Attack at Jul 21, 2008,
It wasn't harsh of you at all, in my opinion. They should of let you play all or atleast parts of the sets until your August departure and pay tribute to a bassist that has helped them alot along the way. Because they just ditched you like that, i don't think you should do any future music with them, move on.
hell no let them be little girls about it, also sounds like they're posers anyhow
Ibanez RG1570
Randall RG75G3
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by Sheer<3Attack
I was the bassist in a band for about half a year, and last month, I couldn't take the stress/band politics and told the band that I was gonna leave at the end of August. We booked 3 concerts scheduled within this and next month, so I felt it was a commitment that I stay for those shows.

The day after I tell them, they find a replacement bassist, and me and the band was gonna work with him on the music until my departure. 3 days after finding him, we had a small show in Hollywood that I practiced with them for all week.

5 hours before we were set to go on, they told me that my services were no longer needed, and that they were gonna have the new bassist fill in from now on, despite the fact he only knew like 2 of our songs (The band was to play an 8 song set).

Ever since then, I broke all connections with them, and I removed all pictures/mentions of me on the band's myspace.

Was it harsh of me to do this. or did I make it turn into a huge deal?

Bare in mind, they're the kind of band that feels that more fans/merchandise equals worldwide fame. Even though we've officially released only 3 songs

Musicians are a shallow bunch I'm afraid, some people get into it for the music but a hell of a lot get into it purely for fame, and they will step over anyone to get it.
That said, maybe you are over reacting a little, after all, it's in their best interests to replace you as quicky and as efficiently as possible, although personaly I would have used your leaving as an excuse for a leaving party and tied some band promotion in with it, still, that's their loss for being too stupid to understand basic band promotion.

Honestly bud, it's not worth bothering over. Why should you be spending any energy bothering over these guys now? They are no longer anything to do with you and no longer your concern.
In this game, when sh!t happens, you pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and calmly start again.
You meet loads and loads of people who are an absolute waste of your time in music, probably more than actual genuine musicians who you will find easy to get along with, but when you do meet someone you can work with, it will all have been worth it.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 21, 2008,
I agree with CaseOnBass: people like that ain't worth the steam off your sh*t mate. To immature.
Um, am I missing something? You left them. Why should they be obligated to waste time with you when you're going to leave them soon anyways?
Because he did the gentlemanly thing of offering to stick around and bring the new bassist completely up to speed. He was trying to make a nice smooth break, and they pooped all over that. They could have just as easily been cool about it and been like "well, hey, we're good with the new bassist, so if it's all the same, we're gonna go ahead and switch now." Which is well within their rights because TS was leaving anyway. But to do it so coldly, so close to a show...not cool.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
Because he did the gentlemanly thing of offering to stick around and bring the new bassist completely up to speed. He was trying to make a nice smooth break, and they pooped all over that. They could have just as easily been cool about it and been like "well, hey, we're good with the new bassist, so if it's all the same, we're gonna go ahead and switch now." Which is well within their rights because TS was leaving anyway. But to do it so coldly, so close to a show...not cool.

Eh, this is common in business. Giving notice that you're leaving is a courtesy, but the company (in this case, a band, which is a money-making venture, so the parallel is fairly obvious) has no real obligation to keep you around if they don't want to.

OP: Move on, stop being a whiny baby about it.
They really had no reason to keep you, they found a replacement, maybe they felt they could teach him the other songs in time.

If you were planning on leaving anyway what is the problem? Just forget about them and move on.
Quote by Nijyo
Eh, this is common in business. Giving notice that you're leaving is a courtesy, but the company (in this case, a band, which is a money-making venture, so the parallel is fairly obvious) has no real obligation to keep you around if they don't want to.

OP: Move on, stop being a whiny baby about it.

Which is why I said they had every right to since he was leaving anyway. It's not that they did it, it's how they did it that is the problem. Hours before a show? Even a day before would have been pretty bad, but more desirable. And if they did it like TS said, being very cold with the whole "your services are no longer required" line, well, why do it so coldly? Like I said, TS was backing out the right way and they decided to be butts about it. The transition could have gone much smoother, is all, and I understand why that irks the TS since he made an effort to make it smooth.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack

Meh, seems like that's pretty much what they did. Timing could have been better I suppose but it's not really something worth complaining about. I mean, the OP didn't want to be in the band anymore anyways so why should they want to play any more shows with him?
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
so you quit, and are now mad because they didnt want to wait to get the new guy experience. They found someone new and for the best interest of the band, he needs to get as much training and exposure with the band as possible. If this guys good, he's not going to be around in a few months.