Played a couple Fender MIM jazzes at my local music store and thought they played very well however in comparison to the VM J seemed like comparing my ashton (lol) to a MIA Jazz, is the only difference between them the VM J is a squier, built in indonesia, and the overall electrics are lower standard than the mexicans? I dunno if I can justify the 500 AUD difference.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
many will tell you that a VM is as good and often better than a MIM
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
yeah
but try before the bass you are buying, if possible avoid online shopping
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
dude i just picked up a squier VM j-bass and i love it! its light and easy to play. the neck is fast and the pickups are ok. i've never played a fender mim but from what i hear UG'ers say, its not as good as the squier VMs.
My Rig

Bass: Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Pedals: Maybe a Zoom b2.1u?

Amp: Crate BT25
Quote by Urban1ninja
dude i just picked up a squier VM j-bass and i love it! its light and easy to play. the neck is fast and the pickups are ok. i've never played a fender mim but from what i hear UG'ers say, its not as good as the squier VMs.

MIMs are great too
both basses are the same quality, but the fender mim has diferent woods that people consider "better"
IMO MIMs should be cheaper
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I knew this thread would appear eventually. I say it's personal preference.

I like Fender a little better, it sounds a little better for getting a little mud. however, they both are great basses.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quality wise, pretty much equal. All about preference. VMJ offers maple fretboard, the MIM offers rosewood, the big clincher that decides whether to go MIMJ or VMJ in my mind.

The VMJ is made of equally good wood as the MIM, just it's all maple (thus brighter than the MIM).

Play them both, I feel or hear no quality difference, just a difference of feel and tone, and after messing with both (preferably several different instruments of each model to ensure you aren't getting bad examples) you'll know which you prefer.

And for christs sake, ignore the label on the headstock. It means nothing in this case.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I just got a VMJ, and, so far, no complaints. Good sound, nice feel. I love the slap tone, after two years of playing on an Epi Viola.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.