Apart from being able to play, .

i'm 16, been playing since i was 8 and i dont think i'm good, but other people tell me i am, i'm not one for compliments lol,

but i was wondering, what makes a guitarist a good ?

i understand speed isnt everything but a lot of people rate a guitarist of speed?
is it not their understanding of music and how it works thats more important?

does anybody know what makes a guitarst good, ((apart from lots of practice))

i know it sounds like a silly question but thanks

=]
Mikey
I have no respect for anyone who rates a guitarist based on speed above anything else.

To be honest, what makes a guitarist good is so dependant on the listener it's crazy; there is almost nothing about playing and listening to guitar that isn't subjective.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I have no respect for anyone who rates a guitarist based on speed above anything else.

To be honest, what makes a guitarist good is so dependant on the listener it's crazy; there is almost nothing about playing and listening to guitar that isn't subjective.

i know what you mean,
it's crazy how people say that someone is the best guitarist in the world, when there are lots of different styles, .. how can the be compared?

its personal taste in music?
Mikey
a good guitarist is somebody who can play a song that makes you want to listen, especially when its a cover that you've made your own that they can still pick.
yerp im sure ill add something amazing here some day.
Quote by mikeshecter92
its personal taste in music?

Basically, yeah, take my parents for example: my Dad loves Hendrix, best guitarist ever according to him. My mum is just bored by Hendrix, really couldn't care less but they both love Pink Floyd and David Gilmour. It makes no sense, so don't try to understand; it's all just opinion.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
is versatility a big part in being a good guitarist?

like, being able to play as many different styles as possible, that may be groovy,
Mikey
Quote by mikeshecter92
is versatility a big part in being a good guitarist?

like, being able to play as many different styles as possible, that may be groovy,

That would make you a good musician but not neccessarily a good guitarist; the two aren't always the same thing.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
if a good guitarist makes people want to listen and people enjoy listening to a guitarist. thats an entertainer ?
entertaiing people?
so if someone thinks a guitarist is good + they like listen to them, a guitarist is an entertainer ?

lol idk what song to learn atm =[ ha
Mikey
I would say a lot has to do with style and tone... not just tone from amp but from your playing.
"In peaceful sedation I lay half awake, and all of the panic inside starts to fade. Hopelessly drifting, bathing in
there is nothing that makes a guitarist good or bad. it all depends on your opinion. personally id say its a variety of things. the first thing is skill, guitarists like john petrucci are what we call "practiced guitarists" those who have crazy skills but might not have talent (but to me petrucci has crazy talent! and to me he was really influential too) then theres "influential and toned guitarists". guitarists like Jimi Hendrix are influential in that they created a new sound or had a huge influence on music. these guitarists might not be the fastest but they had a big impact. but ultimately, its all opinion. your opinion can never be wrong because thats what it is, opinion.
i love just being able to show people that i can play very cleanly improv that sounds cool both by myself and over another guitar rhythm, improv is my strong point

and for my dragonforce fans, i just play TTFATF intro then play something else lol
Quote by mikeshecter92
if a good guitarist makes people want to listen and people enjoy listening to a guitarist. thats an entertainer ?
entertaiing people?
so if someone thinks a guitarist is good + they like listen to them, a guitarist is an entertainer ?

Possibly but once again you can be a good guitarist without really being an entertainer; being a good guitarist is almost separate from the music you make and the stages you play on: some people just connect with some guitarists and think "yeah they're good" and some don't, it's all opinion. People who understand music will often say "Yeah, they're a good musician, I can appreciate the effort but I just don't like it," and that's the epitome of the whole problem; whether or not you like a certain guitarist can almost be completely independent of the music they actually put out.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Martindecorum
There is a big difference between a good song writer and a good musician

Good Song writer - foo fighters
Good Musician - Malmsteem

That's debatable again; I'd say Malmsteen is, or at least used to be, a damn good songwriter. Stuff like Black Star, Far Beyond the Sun and And Now Your Ships Are Burned are damn good songs in my opinion.

Although you're right, most elements of music can be separated really; you can a good guitarist without being a good songwriter or musician and you can be a good musician without being a good guitarist or songwriter and so forth...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That's debatable again; I'd say Malmsteen is, or at least used to be, a damn good songwriter. Stuff like Black Star, Far Beyond the Sun and And Now Your Ships Are Burned are damn good songs in my opinion.

Although you're right, most elements of music can be separated really; you can a good guitarist without being a good songwriter or musician and you can be a good musician without being a good guitarist or songwriter and so forth...

yeah ur right but as long as people understand about the point lol
i think a good guitarist is somebody who is versatile in his playing, is fast, understands at least some music theory, and probably has alot of patience.
I think an elite guitarist is one who can write amazing music whilst being able to play well. "amazing" music doesn't have to be necessarily complicated, it just has to sound good. And that's all I think there is to it.
Quote by DieGarbageMan

how could you not forsee the rise of surskits!

Quote by CaptainRon
One second let me just ask my penis.

Reel Big Fish: 20/02.09
Rise Against: 22/02/09
Quote by herman ri2
If you don't have a good ear than forget about being a good guitarist.

Way to come in here and throw in your negative vibes. Everyone here was having a civil conversation, with people opinions being thrown out and no one criticizing anybody else. If you have an opinion, state it. If not, don't just go around saying random comments drawn out of a hat.

read the fine print in my sig, also.
Do NOT look behind you.
A "good" guitarist is somebody who can pick up a guitar and make music.
A great guitarist is somebody who can pick up a guitar and blow everyone away with their music.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
A good guitarist is one who practices to be good instead of dreaming it. Or lying about it.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
I suck at playing super fast, but I put a lot of soul into my music at whatever speed I play I don't think I'm good but alot of people think I suck just because some of my friends play super fast solos but they don't put the most important thing into them which is soul, fast playing is nothing if you don't put your feelings into it.
For example: Jimi Hendrix is considered one of the best guitarists in the world but his solos were slow as hell compared to stuff like Eddie Van Halen, Jake E Lee, Randy Rhoads, and others but he put tons of soul into his stuff, not saying that the aforementioned players don't have/have had soul in their solos, but that's all he was. Take his Star Spangled banner cover, and tell me that it isn't 100% soul and an amazingly beautiful cover of our(Americans) nations national anthem.

Short: Soul is everything, Speed is nothing
Enjoyment of the instrument and of making music, along with the refinement of the skills and knowledge that allow them to possess the freedom to create whatever music they wish to create without any hindrance.
I'm going to have to tell you that out of all my years of experience originality and the ability to perform make a good guitarist. I have a friend who is not nearly as good as me technically or musically but he has an original sound and way of playing and puts on one hell of a show. And you know people love him for that and everyone thinks he blows me out of the water. He's gonna be famous one day I'd bet anything on it.
Quote by c_man471
Way to come in here and throw in your negative vibes. Everyone here was having a civil conversation, with people opinions being thrown out and no one criticizing anybody else. If you have an opinion, state it. If not, don't just go around saying random comments drawn out of a hat.

read the fine print in my sig, also.

Kiss off.
These things are really subjective. There are many fields in guitaring. To say a few, picking, chord formations, fretting (speed/cleanliness), improv. There are also the "general" fields, which apply to other instruments too, such as play by ear, theory knowledge. What defines a good guitarist, from what you're trying to say is the kind that "people say are good". Practical (live playing) skills, and showy techniques do the trick.
A good guitarist can express himself musically. That's why Kurt Cobain is a good guitarist, which many people disagree on. Playing fast is just hand-eye coordination.

However, it's just a matter of opinion.
Last edited by Thunderstorm at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by mcb_69
a good guitarist is somebody who can play a song that makes you want to listen, especially when its a cover that you've made your own that they can still pick.

My thoughts exactly. You could be the fastest player the world has ever known, but if the song doesn't move the listener, you aren't going to think twice about the skills of the guitar player.

The word "good" is very subjective as everyone else is saying, but it is something that just hits you as you are listening to a certain guitar player's work.
It's kind of like asking what makes a painting "good." Everyone has a different opinion, so I can only offer mine.

A good guitarist is a person that can make a guitar sound exactly like how they want it to. If you have an idea in your head that you can express accurately on the the guitar, you are a good guitarist. A great guitarist does the same thing but has better ideas than everyone else.
A good guitarist is someone who has mastered his instrument to bend to his will, and knows how to achieve the exact result in sound that they desire.

A good guitarist is someone who can pour their soul onto the guitar, and make it their second voice.
I think all this new stuff coming in to the guitar scene (not brand new) is absolute total ****. I cant stand to hear guys like zakk wylde bust into 10 minute solos of pentatonic runs, all running together and rambling on. All in all In my opinion, it comes down to three things. 1.The feel and emotion that they put into there playing (example:There will never be a guitar player that will even come close to matching the feel and emotion that stevie ray vaughn put in his playing)2. There ability to entertain the crowd 3. The uniqueness of style and tone. (all it takes is one note from BB king or SRV to know who it is) Thats what makes you a good guitar player, not this new crap that makes speed look like THE most important element of skill.
Emotion and translation of emotion makes the best guitarist. In any style if the guitarist can convey the emotions that the feel, then they are good. B.B. King was no where near the most technical guitarist, but he played "Lucille" his guitar with such emotion that he let other people feel what he felt. It doesn't just mean play the blues. If you can convey happiness, anger, depression, any emotion, then I feel that you are a good guitar player. If you add difficult technique that matches the respective emotion, I bow to thee.

As I said before, I never repeat myself.
My opinion of a good guitarist is someone who is creative, can create their own music and can improvise, etc.

I mean, look at Hendrix - fantastic guitarist, creative, had his own sound.
Practice, practice, practice, oh and practice.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
Quote by herman ri2
Kiss off.

Your name is Herman Ri. Go figure.
No one likes you.
Piss off.
Quote by mikeshecter92
Apart from being able to play, .

i'm 16, been playing since i was 8 and i dont think i'm good, but other people tell me i am, i'm not one for compliments lol.

been playing since you were eight? wow, i envy you. i wish i developed a passion for guitar when i was that young.
the quality of a guitarist id say would be dependent on a couple of factors. a real good guitarists would be able to:
-play steady and in control
-be able to play at multiple speed levels
-be able to handle a number of styles
-good improvisation id say is a good bonus

for a more metaphorical description of my idea, look at Orbit9's post.

sad thing about my school. here, we have many guitarists, many being people who know how to play a few chords. some people have shown some variation, but since he was playing an acoustic guitar at the time i don't think it was actually as impressive as it sounded. it was sort of like a simple acoustic guitar solo.
someone has actually been able to play a solo, but then his problem was that the distortion was so low it sounded like clean tone and made the playing a lot easier than it actually was. and because so few people play electric guitar here, they can't manage their amps and tone for sh*t. every time we have an open mic night, they always screw their settings up, with the guitar being too loud, too quiet, or the drummer simply being to friggin loud.
so im naturally forced to believe im the only guitarist with any potential, or the only guy that takes it really seriously around here. and ive only been playing for roughly 2 years. there are around 2 guitarists that i suspect to have potential as well, but i've never heard them play at their best.
Last edited by nirviathan at Jul 28, 2008,
Quote by Benjabenja
Your name is Herman Ri. Go figure.
No one likes you.
Piss off.

Are you kidding me?

You must be the biggest tool on this site. Sadly, you are the only one that doesn't see that it is a joke.

I have only been here for a short amount of time, so how does everyone hate me? plus, unlike you, I don't come on this sites for friends like you, sorry.

YOU = Ass-clown fanboy