Hey guys anyway im going to get a overdrive/distortion (preferably overdrive) pedal so could you guys tell me some goods ones for proggressive metal and rock playing (if that matters). if possible could you tell me one of the following:
one between $100-$200AUD
one between $200-$300AUD
one between $300-$1000AUD
i cant afford much though since im just 14 but ive been saving up for ages. Oh and id prefer a pedal that only focuses on distortion as i already have other pedals for different effects. thanks
Last edited by steelfingers at Jul 21, 2008,
Digitech makes a good line of pedals
But everyone here is tube fans, so you're going to get a lot of
"Distortion pedals sound like ****, get an overdrive, go tube"
and stuff like that
I have a Digtitech Hot Head and it sounds pretty good, the Bad Monkey sounds good too
And I bought my friend a Boss DS-1, and it sounds pretty awesome too, probably better then my Hot Head, and they're all relatively cheap!
The good, and expensive ones;

http://www.pedalspluseffectswarehouse.com/AMT_Electronics_Freak_Guitar_p/amt-fg.htm

this one includes real tubes, and sounds awesome. The sound examples doesn't exactly do it justice.

http://www.leejackson.com/XLS1000_M1000_pedal.html

Then the Lee Jackson XLS-1000 and M-1000 in pedal form. Also awesome, but also very expensive (I'd rather go with a good used amp head, maybe even a Lee Jackson one) but for pedals these are some of the greatests.

the cookie cutter answer you'll get from all the others :p
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by PhantomNote

the cookie cutter answer you'll get from all the others :p

lol and thanks for the info guys. any1 else?
boss OS-2. It's a overdrive/distortion hybrid, works well for anything, save maybe for hardcore, metalcore, etc. Great for blues, rock, metal, prog, whatever. About $150 AUD I think, although I did buy mine on Ebay. Check there, too. : )
What amp are you using - nobody can recommend anything until we know that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
+1 on the OS-2. Also, SD-1's are great. I own one and it fantastic. I can get a nice warm, thick blues tone out of it, and it is also great for boosting my DSL.
Hey, I have a digitech 150-$99 it works great. U can program the sound you self.
I've heard the boss ds-1 is good, and i think im going to get it.
1 quick question, how do u make a thread?
I really believe that Boss makes bad OD's and Distortions.Digitech is a lot better(IMO).But you just have to try them all out and choose one that suits you best.
My pedals:
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah GCB-95
Ibanez Tube Screamer (TS-9)
Digitech Hot Head
MXR Phase 90
Digitech DigiDelay
Quote by cletusgerome
Hey, I have a digitech 150-$99 it works great. U can program the sound you self.
I've heard the boss ds-1 is good, and i think im going to get it.
1 quick question, how do u make a thread?

just go to the forums page, choose a section and there should be a button somewhere to create threads
Quote by steven seagull
What amp are you using - nobody can recommend anything until we know that.

This

Boss's ods and distortion boxes range from meh (SD-1 with a few mods, maybe a keeley DS-1 if that's your thing) to pure crap (metalzone, I'm looking at you)

Digitech just seems to make cheaper copies of boss, though I give high marks to the bad monkey as a cheap and effective overdrive unit.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Ace Frehley
I really believe that Boss makes bad OD's and Distortions.Digitech is a lot better(IMO).But you just have to try them all out and choose one that suits you best.

I think they both make bad od's. though the blues driver and Bad monkey are pretty good.
Try the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube models. There's one for a more classic rock/Marshally type of sound (Classic), and one of the metal variety (Mayhem).

Both use tubes and are built like tanks, and both are 200-230 USD.
XOTiC BB Preamp is 185 USD, my personal favorite
Zakk Wylde Overdrive is 99 USD, it just has some reliability problems
BK Butler Tube Driver is 100 to 300 USD depending on if it's made by BK himself or something cheaper like Tube Works, but they're all pretty good and the Tube Works with a 12AX7 will get some real nice low gain and some higher gain
The XOTiC BB Preamp + is basically 2 BB Preamps that can be stacked to get higher gain and it's around 250 USD
I'll go find out all these in AUD and post them
BB Preamp is 229 AUD
Wylde OD is 123 AUD
Tube Driver is 124-372 AUD
BB Preamp + is around 310 AUD
Oh yea, avoid Boss and Digitech unless you try them out and enjoy them. I bought a few Boss pedals and was not satisfied with any. I've never thought Digitech was that great either but they do have a few good pedals.
Digitech Bad Monkey is great for the price. For distortion, have a look at a Metal Muff.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Metal Muffs are nice, and I like my Boss MD-2 for really thick, heavy distortion (mostly for rhythm guitar when I play).
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
i say go for something by MI Audio as they are very good value in australia

The crunchbox is a great distortion pedal,
the blues pro is an awesome overdrive
and if youve got the cash, the tubezone can do it all and more
There still has been no answer to what amp you are playing through so all suggestions are pretty much void until we know this.

Most distortion pedals sound harsh and digital (especially Boss and DigiTech). I would stray away from them if its at all possible.

The new Vox Satchurator is definitely worth checking out. Its sort of a mid to high gain type distortion pedal. However its has a warm, creamy overdrive voicing so it sounds more like an overdriven high gain tube amp than a swarm of angry bees inside of a tin can.