So I was offered a fender strat mim for 250 in mint condition w/ hard shell case. Im not sure if I should pull the trigger. How much does the MIM retail for usually if any1 knows? Im not a big metal person, and neither is my amp (see sig) but I was thinking of picking this up.

Should I do it?
That sounds like a good deal, but sorry, why did you start talking about metal part way through that? You are aware of what a Strat IS, right?
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
It's a nice upgrade from your current guitar, go for it. I can't really think of anything better you'll get for that money apart from maybe Epi Les Paul Standard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavnofingrprnt
well there are only three true people alive today who are actually possesed by satan

Dakota Fanning, the kfc general dude, and my neighbor and all of them dont have much musical ability
Dollars

I just hear that strats arent really good for metal, so I was just kind confirming that. I wanted avoid people saying? "Well do you play metal? Cause strats arent rally good for that"..
Quote by CrackerJack465
I just hear that strats arent really good for metal, so I was just kind confirming that. I wanted avoid people saying? "Well do you play metal? Cause strats arent rally good for that"..

Ha, cool. That's a solid insight into the mind of the average UGer...
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
go for it....a new one with a gig bag is around 400 at guitar center
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
i see MIM strats on sale all the time, in NY Craigslist, $200-250.

and they usually sit there a couple weeks. getting listed a few times.

wait it out, make a low offer if the guitar plays well.

edit: haha, i just realized, ur in my neighborhood.

dont pay the $350.

and by customized, it's hit or miss. sometimes thier shoddy electrical work, makes for guitar hum, or other problems. sometimes you get a better pickup than stock,

you need to try each guitar to see.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 21, 2008,
I had an Epiphone Special II right before I bought my MIM stratocaster and I'm absolutly in love with the guitar.

And for the metal thing, well I play trought a blues junior and a digitech DF-7 and, even if not the same still sounds heavy.
Ha, i searched around craigslist and found someone in Soho selling a "Mint" strat MIM for 275. I should him an email and offered 225. Ill see if he bites.

Ya, im not paying the 350. And prob not gonna look much further into the custom. I really want the Strat though...

Just a thing of mine, I like the way strats feel

o, and jj156, where in NY are u?
MIM strats are awesome. And they can be used for metal. I changed the p'ups in my strat and now it's the nicest guitar I've played sub £1000. I sold my les paul because I never played it. For $275 you're getting a fabulous deal.
I would go for one for $250 if you get to test it out or at least look at it before hand. Strats are supposed to be fairly easy to customize, so you could swap out the pickups if you really wanted.
Saint Louis Blues
i would try to be able to play it first but still 250 is good for a MIM strat.
Guitars:
Gibson SG
Alvarez 6 string acoustic
Alvarez 12 string acoustic/electric
B.C. Rich Warlock
SQUIER
Ibanez 4 string bass

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace
-Jimi Hendrix R.I.P
Quote by CrackerJack465
Ha, i searched around craigslist and found someone in Soho selling a "Mint" strat MIM for 275. I should him an email and offered 225. Ill see if he bites.

Ya, im not paying the 350. And prob not gonna look much further into the custom. I really want the Strat though...

Just a thing of mine, I like the way strats feel

o, and jj156, where in NY are u?

yeah i love my mex strat. still plays nice, it's about 12 years old now.
i'm a little north of white plains, but i'll shop around in the sam ash there sometimes.

if you're willing to drive to long island or nyc, you'll find a cheap mim strat no problem.

also, don't be scared off of custom MEx or japan made strats.
one of the best things about a strat is how easy it is to mod.

even if the prev owner was a dweeb, if the neck/frets are good, you can pretty much fix anything else, with just a $15 soldering iron.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Im actually in long island/nyc

I posed that link because in the link it says he can go to NYC =P

But, im working on 1 that actually is only 5 mins away from where I work for 225 with a soft shell.
I obviously love my MIM with HSS and swapped out bucker 'cause I talk about it so much.

They are $350 I think for July only in SSS config at GC. Go to GC or other store and play some if you can first, and some American Strats so you can feel the difference. Just play them acoustically.

It probably won't matter but get a feel for the Serial# dating too so you can be familiar at least. There is a great description on fender.com under Support tab.

Good luck and let us know.
Well, I didnt take the first deal.
BUT I got ANOTHER MIM Strat (black), for 215! of craigslist.
Soft case instead of hard, but its still a good deal IMO.
Its 2005 model in MINT condition.
Quote by CrackerJack465
Well, I didnt take the first deal.
BUT I got ANOTHER MIM Strat (black), for 215! of craigslist.
Soft case instead of hard, but its still a good deal IMO.
Its 2005 model in MINT condition.

sounds cool.
pics.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

No pics yet, I pick it up friday.. Then pics =D
Its realy close, I just gota take a subway but my work doesnt let me have the time.. We kinda made an over the phone deal. Obv im gonna see it and play it b4 hand though
sounds cool. make sure to check for dead frets,
and i'll post some tips on how to try out a guitar from the EG sticky.

How to try out guitars ...

Before you select a guitar, there are a few things you need to think over.
-The style of music you play.
-A budget you can live with.
-How long you've been playing. If you've ever owned a guitar before.
We all gravitate towards the guitar that looks the Hawtest, but looks and color, shouldn't be your first concern.
Wood type, bridge type, pickup configuration, guitar weight, brand reputation, and UG member recommendations should all come into play.
You need to have in mind, a few guitars that suit you best, before you even walk into the store.

Walking into The Store:

Wait, you've already blown it! Are you sure you're in the right place? Most of us only have a couple of options.
Ideally you live in an area with large chains, and local shops. Keep in mind that large chains pay their workers with commission. A money driven worker will not be working towards your best interest, no matter how nice he seems. Local shops might be able to offer you a better deal, but they don't carry as large a selection.
It's good to get prices online, some stores will even match competitor's prices, but whenever possible, physically play as many guitars as possible. Keep in mind that in most cases, the recommended list price for a guitar, is about twice its actual selling price.
In addition, when you are trying to get more guitar for the money, It might be worth your time to look into local pawn shops, classified Ads or to check out Ebay. There are some good deals out there, you just need to know where to look.

Take a Friend:

Guitar stores can be overwhelming. When possible, bring a guitar playing friend with you, preferably someone with purchasing experience. You want him to be objective and to run interference for you, if you run into any pushy sales associates.
Start off by finding the models and styles in your price range. If you aren't happy with the choices, at least you'll create a basis for comparison.
If you have a favorite type of pick, make sure you have one in your pocket. You want to feel as comfortable as possible.
There's no reason to call over a sales associate just yet, because you should start off by playing your choices acoustically.

Testing a Guitar:

Once you're certain about the model, you're ready to test some guitars. Don't be afraid to ask for one off the wall. When they don't want one played, they will usually tag it, but it's a good idea to leave the top shelf guitars alone unless they are in your price range. Let the sales staff know you're serious and they will be more willing to work with you on a good deal.
To make things simple, I've made a checklist.
Before playing...
-Sit down in a quiet area and feel the guitars weight. Make sure it's balanced, and suited to your size.
-Move the knobs and switch. Make sure they are tight.
-Go to the input jack, see if it wiggles.
-Lift the guitar to your face. Check the headstock and neck joint for small cracks or chips.
-See if the neck looks straight.
-Shake the guitar. Listen for loose parts.
-Look at the fretboard. Make sure there are no wood imperfections, raised or crooked frets. Make sure the frets don't poke through the side of the board.
Before plugging in....
-Strum and fret each string. You're listening for fret buzz.
Keep in mind, guitars aren't always set up prior to placement on the selling floor.
Sometimes they aren't even tuned. Action and fret buzz are USUALLY adjustable, but the guitar shouldn't buzz and rattle everywhere.
-Check the guitar's harmonics. Compare tones at the 12th. See if the guitar is intonated.
-Make sure the board isn't too wide for you. See if you can reach the higher frets.
-Make sure the bridge saddles are level, with no sharp points.
-Make sure the tuners don't feel loose.

Amp it up...
-Ok, find the pain in the ass sales guy. You'll need a guitar cable, and an amp,
JUST LIKE THE ONE YOU HAVE AT HOME!!!!
Don't Let him plug you into a $1,000 amp. You're testing the guitar not the amp.
-If possible, have a riff ready. If you're tagged as a complete noob, you'll get less respect.
-Use the switch. Select the neck pickup. Select the bridge. Listen for crackling noises.
Roll the knobs and listen for noise. Touch and lift your hand off the bridge, listen for buzzing that stops when you ground it. If you're into Metal, and are looking at a humbucker guitar, expect to hear less noise than if you were testing a single-coil guitar.
-Check the pickups with the amp on clean and with gain.
Questions to Ask...
-Hopefully you already know the wood type of your choice guitar. You need to make sure the salesman knows that you've done your homework.
"Do you have any other Mahogany guitars in this price range, you could recommend?"
-Let the salesman know that you've noticed any imperfections.
"I like this ibanez, but I'm picking up fretbuzz through the amp. Do your guitars come
setup?"
-Spend a while playing the guitar. Look upset even if you like the guitar.
"What can I get this guitar for?" "Does this guitar come with a case?"
You want to walk out of there, with as many free extras as possible. Especially if you've found anything wrong with the guitar. Any minor flaw, might work as a bargaining chip.
- "What's your return policy?"
Final thoughts...
IF YOU LIKE THE GUITAR ON THE SALES FLOOR, TAKE THAT GUITAR, NOT ONE FROM THE STOCKROOM. Unless it's a floor model, you should still get a box for it. You just don't want to take the time to find the perfect guitar, only to end up with a lemon in the end.
Also keep in mind, stores make a lot of money off of purchase insurance. In almost every case, it's not worth it to buy protection on a guitar. Except for the neck, every part is easily replaced. In addition, any flaws would be apparent within the usual 30 day return time frame.

Good Luck, Jenny

i highlighted the part fits here the best, good luck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

JJ is so full of Win!

Since you have the time i would also suggest asking for serial number if you have not already. I take it there are no pics of this guitar? I'm sure everything will be fine....not trying to freak you out or anything.

(actually seems kinda cheap for an /05) (do what she said ^)
I asked for serial number over email since i forgot when I was talking to him. And there are some pics:

Not really high res, but o well
Nice. Looks to be in good condition.

Its funny though. I seem to be in the same position as many people on here. I also have a cheap Epi LP (100, not special II), and I too am looking to upgrade to a fender strat. It seems to be almost a right of passage :p
Im not really looking for black, but every1 has black.

I really wanted like a ice blue, but ill settle. You can't go wrong with black.
Wait and find a HSS MIM Strat. Having the humbucker makes the guitar 16 times as versatile, especially when considering possible upgrades.
some people actually like bridge singles coils.

and even if a humbucker is what floats your boat, a humbucker will fit in almost all standard mex made strats. it's just $20 more for a HSS guard.

*16x more versatile. is that the new math?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I actually like the SSS Strats. I played one at guitar center the other day to just try it out.

Its still cheaper to just buy this and change it if I choose to one day.