Page 1 of 2
Just continuing the game. Listen to the soundclips in my profile and try and figure out which amp is which. When we get enough votes I'll count them up and then post the results.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/CorduroyEW/music/

The amps

Blackface
This is my blackface bassman EQ with bass and treble at 6

Tweed
This is actually the modified bass side of my blackface bassman. I used a typical tweed circuit. EQ has everything full on

Solid state
Roland Jazz chorus. EQ with everything full on

Modeler
It's a Roland amp factory modeling pedal/DI box run into a Roland KC500 keyboard amp. The EQ on the amp has everything at 0 (which would be 5 on most amps) and the EQ on the pedal has everything set to 7.

The clean soundclips were recorded from the neck pickup of a 60 quid ($120) telecaster with a vintage style pickup. While the dirty clips were recorded using the neck PAF on an 80 quid ($160) rally brand Les Paul. Both guitars have original pots switches and hardware but I have added my own pickups.

When you vote use S for Solid State, B for blackface, T for tweed and M for Modeler. Like this:

Amp1 X
Amp2 X
Amp3 X
Amp4 X

Edit: I forgot to mention that I didn't use the Jazz Chorus distortion, I used a tube screamer pedal. I should also point out that the Modeler is set up to sound like a tweed amp just to make things more interesting.

1 last thing, the MP3 files on my computer sound a lot different than they do in my profile. Many of the subtle differences that really help you know which amp is which gets filtered out. I'm actually thinking about re recording the dirty clip for amp one just because what sounded like amp distortion on my computer sounds like a rattling speaker when streaming from UG.

I have uploaded a much better soundclip of amp 1 dirty and it's called amp 1 dirty take 2. give it a listen, it may change your votes.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 22, 2008,
can i suggest all answers are PMd to you for un biased results?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Last edited by stevo_epi_SG_wo at Jul 21, 2008,
^Nah, I figure it's just a game, not a test, so if people want to copy the answeres of others thats fine by me.
Amp 1: The Jazz Chorus

Amp 2: Modeler

Amp 3: The BF

Amp 4: The Tweed

It's really hard to tell from the cleans, the dirty tones makes it a bit easier, but it's still hard picking out each one.

I'm probably way off though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I'm not got going to view what others voted for as I do think it can bias the results but I can't listen for another hour or so - so I'll vote later.

Thanks for doing it.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 21, 2008,
Amp 1 - Jazz Chorus
Amp 2 - Tweed
Amp 3 - Blackface
Amp 4 - Modeller
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
I'm going to update who has voted as we go so that I don't have to count everthing all at once. So far these are the votes

Horlicks	                	MSTB
Darkarbiter7		SMBT
Polaroidvision		STBM
^alright... I'll just keep a word document or something then.

Well I can't tell the difference as usual so I won't vote because it would just be a guess. What I am learning from these polls is that there is either not very much difference once amps are recorded or it is a lot harder than one would imagine to capture the tube tone. I have been messing around with my Boss Micro BR half the day trying to record my different amps to see if I could make a recording that would really show the difference between the different types.
^It's because you are only as good as the weakest link in the chain. If all your equipment is good but you have to use a compressed audio format then that limits how alive an amp can sound. If you are listening with PC speakers or headphones then it's only going to sound as good as cheap PC speakers. If its recorded with a camera phone you are only going to sound as good as your camera phones mic.

If you guys had my audio setup on your computers (I use a very nice PA) and we were not using streaming audio then I'm sure most of you would spot which was which with no problem. Unfortunatly, that isn't the case.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 21, 2008,
^yeah - I guess that was my big lesson learned as well.

lower end amps > lower end mic > played thru lower end speakers = lower end results. Mine...Not Yours lol.

at least you've got better gear and i'm assuming better playing. Can't listen until lunch hour. Funny, when I listen to my clips via Audacity I can hear the differences, but I'm sure because I recorded I was biased.

and not to threadjack - but for those that picked SS for number 2 on mine, if you could hear the 'fakeness' of Amp3 you would have figured out my poll correctly. Despite all of my challenges.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 21, 2008,
^I doubt my playing is much better. I've broken and cut off my fingers too many time so they are all crooked and/or deformed, I've got arthritis, and I have a stress fracture in my left wrist that is never going to heal. All these things make playing very difficult for me and I’ll never be very good.
Here's my guess then wasn't going to do this what the heck.

1=s
2=t
3=m
4=b
1- S
2 - B
3 - M
4 - T

i hope i got them right

btw, that homemade harmonica sounds kickass
Last edited by The red Strat. at Jul 21, 2008,
Quote by CorduroyEW
^I doubt my playing is much better. I've broken and cut off my fingers too many time so they are all crooked and/or deformed, I've got arthritis, and I have a stress fracture in my left wrist that is never going to heal. All these things make playing very difficult for me and I’ll never be very good.

Hey, did you play with your fingers or a pick?

I did NOT use a pick which can soften the attack.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by The red Strat.
when do we get to know the results ?

When we get more votes. We only have like 5 or 6 right now. Lots of people listen but it seems nobody wants to guess wrong.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Hey, did you play with your fingers or a pick?

I did NOT use a pick which can soften the attack.

Both. I play mostly acoustic folk stuff so I find myself holding the pick but only using it about half the time.

I have uploaded a much better soundclip of amp 1 dirty and it's called amp 1 dirty take 2. give it a listen, it may change your votes.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 22, 2008,
^I just thought the new clip sounded more like amplifier distortion rather than a speaker ratteling.
Amp 1: solid state (S)
Amp 2: blackface (B)
Amp 3: tweed (T)
Amp 4: Modeller (M)

(i based that mainly on the clean clips... couldn't really tell from the dirty. As usual, i'm probably wrong)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Amp1 S
Amp2 B
Amp3 T
Amp4 M

Sure, Dave posted the same thing above me. Seeing as I was 0/3 last time, that doesn't look good for either of us. This was tough, took me about 10 minutes. I also based it on the cleans.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Are we any closer to knowing the results. I've got a few clips ready for another one of these still have to record a few more though.
^Well, I was hoping for a few more people to jump in but perhaps thats not gonna happen. I'll post results in the morning.
I think the interest in these threads may be getting less but I also wonder if many don't want to put their guess on a public forum even if they are interested what the result may be. Myself I find it very difficult to be able to tell the difference unless I am the one playing and even then if I was to play a hidden amp I wonder if I could really say.
B
M
S
T

Is my vote, I think... Might listen again but i'm going for that atm.

Some of the tones are nice. I don't like 2 & 3 distorted, but most of the clean tones are quite nice.

God knows i'm completely wrong again.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.

Horlicks		MSTB
Darkarbiter7	SMBT
Polaroidvision	STBM
311ZOSOVHJH	SBMT
stumomo		STMB
The Red Strat	SBMT
Dave Mc		SBTM
Gregs1020         SBTM
MrCarrot		BMST

Answer		BSMT

I think McCarrot should get a cookie for being able to get both tube amps right and being the only one to guess that the blackface amp was actually a blackface amp.

I think it’s important to note the blackface bassman amps (both versions) are notorious for having the personality of a wet carrot and are considered by many to be the worst blackface amps. The “good” blackface amps are the ones with and reverb because they have an extra gain stage which gives the amp a little more compression and bite. By simply adding a compressor pedal to my bassman I can really help the amp come alive. I’ve added a soundclip of the bassman with a compressor in front but one of my tubes has started to get noisy so I couldn’t get much of the distorted clip because any time the amp vibrates it crackles. The tube amp still doesn't get the low end that my solid state roland amps get, but that extra low end is something that most guitar amps don't have.

All and all I think you guys did really well on this one. The tweed got the most votes for tweed which says that you guys could hear something there. Also, many of us have become quite used to hearing a tube screamer in front of blackface amps so I think the fact that I used a tubescreamer in front of the JC actually made it a bit unfair and I’m kind of surprised anybody was able to hear the blackface for what it was.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 23, 2008,
I've got a few clips ready now for another one of these. Got one more amp to record later on today.
^I think Red Strat already called the next one and has clips ready.

Just so you guys can hear better soundclips I've decided to upload everything to my website. When I'm finished I'll post links.
Nice

So the SS/Modeller caught me out... But at least I got the tube amps

I'd love to do one of these but I only own a Frontman, a modded VJ and a VC30.... Might be doable though. SS or Tube or Cheap Tube...
Quote by MrCarrot
Nice

So the SS/Modeller caught me out... But at least I got the tube amps

I'd love to do one of these but I only own a Frontman, a modded VJ and a VC30.... Might be doable though. SS or Tube or Cheap Tube...

They're both cheap tube
Last edited by Horlicks at Jul 23, 2008,
Quote by Horlicks
They're both cheap tube
Yeah but the VC30 sounds excellent and the VJ sounds crap
Quote by MrCarrot

I'd say it's worth a go.
Quote by MrCarrot

I'll bear that in mind when I visit your thread
Quote by MrCarrot

hey, i like the VJ.

and great, i got them all wrong. as usual. i should really learn when to quit this.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2