Page 1 of 2
Quote by jewishfriend
im confused as to why a 600 quid bass like an aerodyne p or j uses it then

It isn't bad at all. Hell, the Musicman Bongo uses it. Ignore the opinionated guitarist.

Basswood is a very neutral sounding wood, with no real distinguishing features.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by jewishfriend
i understand that it would sound ****e on a guitar, but surely not on a bass

It is commonly used in asian replica guitars, as it is very cheap in that part of the world. Hence it often gets a bad reputation due to it use on cheap guitars.

However, if you want a bass with massive tonal flexability, like the Bongo, it is a very good start.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
basswood has a more emphasised midrange than say mahogany (dark) or alder (bright), it's a decent wood if you want a very balanced tone from your bass the only problems with it are it's a rather ugly wood (imo) and it dents very easy

quick question to the guitarist up top, if basswood doesn't cut through with riffs why does almost every shred guitarist out there use a guitar made from it?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
the Fender Aerodyne™ Classic Precision Bass® Special in see through blue looks fantastic, im gona be GASing over that for a while(replace GAS with WANK)
its cheap cos there lots of it, doesnt mean its not good quality.
I went through a lot of trouble to write those tonewood descriptions (which require updating, hint hint hint!) in the FAQ.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Oh, forever ago - think it had fingerboard woods too. And some other stuff about distortions. But I was just harassing you, don't break your chops over it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
The Force? Is that what they call Cocaine in England?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
The Force? Is that what they call Cocaine in England?

No.

Something worse. Much worse.

KOTOR.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
No.

Something worse. Much worse.

KOTOR.

KOTOR? You mean Neverwinter Nights or CRPG's in general mainstreamed up for a console audience who's never seen it before and thinks it's fresh? The RPG equivalent of Halo?

Man, I'll leave my video game politics out of this. Other than XBOX is the Thunderbird of consoles. But anyway, TS, there's a detailed 'spaination in the wonderful FACK.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'll have you know I'm a veteran RPG player, and I'm playing the PC version

If you don't know Fallout is the best game ever, you're no veteran RPG player.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz

Mmmmm Fallout.

I miss those games.

You forget Deus Ex and System Shock 2.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by thefitz
I'm no veteran RPG player but I know Fallout is the best game ever

They made them take the children out of the second one for the UK version though so you couldn't finish missions involving them
hello guys this is a basswood thread stop gabbering about rpg's ya geeks

and according to wikipedia basswood's real name is tilia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilia

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
*looks lovingly at Icewind Dale*

*Looks at probably the only purchased copy of Arcanum*

But yes, tilia, eh?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Xbox is good fitzy! It really is. Oh, and Neverwinter Nights is easily my favorite game of all time.

As for basswood, it all depends on the cut. I have encountered phenominal pieces and bad ones. Really, the cost is a good indicator of the quality of the wood. As they say, what you pay for is what you get.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
Xbox is good fitzy! It really is. Oh, and Neverwinter Nights is easily my favorite game of all time.

XBOX is a computer knocked on its side, marketed to semi tech-savvy kids who have used computers their entire lives but have never played a game on one. Every relevant XBOX360 exclusive is playable on PC.

But basswood is one of the rare woods that is available on both cheap, medium, and top-price instruments. Strange.

Man, I'm running out of tidbits. Soon my XBOX bashing will be 100% spam.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
XBOX is a computer knocked on its side, marketed to semi tech-savvy kids who have used computers their entire lives but have never played a game on one. Every relevant XBOX360 exclusive is playable on PC.

But basswood is one of the rare woods that is available on both cheap, medium, and top-price instruments. Strange.

Man, I'm running out of tidbits. Soon my XBOX bashing will be 100% spam.

Really? Name one good PS3-exclusive game besides Resistance. Xbox has loads of good signatures. Halo and Gears of War are both blockbusters (and don't tell me they are better on computer. GoW's entire gameplay is ruined on the computer, and halo is the xbox flagship).

And as for basswood, I can't really think of a famous bassist who uses it, any examples?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
Really? Name one good PS3-exclusive game besides Resistance. Xbox has loads of good signatures. Halo and Gears of War are both blockbusters (and don't tell me they are better on computer. GoW's entire gameplay is ruined on the computer, and halo is the xbox flagship).

And as for basswood, I can't really think of a famous bassist who uses it, any examples?

To answer your questions, MGS4 and Gary Willis & John Myung. Off the top of my head.

EDIT: Well, Gary Willis used to use basswood.

EDIT2: And Dave LaRue, Tony Levin
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jul 21, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
To answer your questions, MGS4 and Gary Willis & John Myung. Off the top of my head.

EDIT: Well, Gary Willis used to use basswood.

I will tip my hat to MGS4, it is a good game, but you have to admit that good PS3 exclusives are few and far between.

But I am surprised so little bassists recognize basswood. Considering how big it is in the guitar world, I would think that it would have more users.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
MGS4, one of the great games of this generation, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank Future, Folklore if you're an RPG fan, Motorstorm, etc. Those are games that you can ONLY play on PS3. Not to mention forthcoming games like Resistance 2, Killzone 2, Little BigPlanet... dude, are you broken?

How is GOW's gameplay ruined on the computer? Because you can see how pathetic the aiming tolerances are? Halo was designed as a PC game... hell read my blog again. All Microsoft signatures are PC derived and available on the PC. Period. Shooters millions of times better are available on the PC than Halo 3. UT3 is on PC and PS3, and the shooting is better than Halo. It'll be some time before you can play team-based multiplayer (or mult-uh-player as new age idiots say) and let the good players win for your team so you can still feel like a winner in no time.

Basswood is actually quite popular in 'shredder guitars' and seemed to be in every other guitar in the 80's.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz

I know we've all gotten into the habit of nicely nodding the fitz when he goes off on one of his tradmark fitzrants

But all must heed him now... Heed!!!
Page 1 of 2