Yesterday I was bending some strings while practicing the "Highway to Hell" solo. Now I guess I did it for too long, because today my fingers are hurting a bit.

Now I know very well how to bend strings, the classical way, when you wrap the thumb around the neck, where you get your leverage from. However, today I noticed that it's much easier to just have the thumb behind the neck and to use it as leverage that way. I think the advantage for me is that that way I'm using the fleshier part of my fingertips to bend the strings, so the part farther away from the nails. That makes bending two strings at the same fret at the same time easier (called double stop, right?).

My fingers are not straight, and I'm not relying on the muscles in my fingers, but I'm making the wrist motion.

I've seen guitarists do this, but I want to know if it's no problem having the thumb behing the neck rather than wrapped around the neck, and if it does have disadvantages.
Your fingers will eventually begin to get tougher to accommodate the bending if you continue that way.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
I think your supposed to play with your thumb behind the neck, my guitar instructor always got on me b/c i always and still do wrap my thumb around the neck, i honestly think its whatever is comfortable to you.
Quote by iTzMaTT
Your fingers will eventually begin to get tougher to accommodate the bending if you continue that way.

Mmhmm... and make sure you pay attention to where your thumb is placed. You might find it easier to bend with your thumb in the middle of the neck rather than wrapped around the whole thing.
i started practicing with my thumb/palm around the neck, but then realized i built up more finger strength / stretch with my thumb behind the neck. Also found it impossible to play like a B7 chord unless I had my thumb behind the neck.
What ever works for you. There is single correct way to play guitar. What works on classical may not work in metal and viseversa. Think of where we would be if hendrix had done as he was told and played guitar the correct way.
just bend the strings in the way that is most comfortable
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards