bare with me guys, I've got a bit of story for you to read which may take some patience reading but I'm sure some of you can relate to it. I started playing the guitar when I was 14 and took to it brilliantly. It was one of the few things in life I excelled at, however I'm now 18 and am no better than what i was at 16, if anything I'm worse. My plea is for you too help me get back on track and rekindle the passion for guitar I once had.

During my first two years of playing the guitar i was blown away that by putting fingers on the fretboard in the same place as my idols i could reproduce sound similar to them. Therefore, I learnt hundreds of licks and songs which kept me content and motivated. However, learning songs only got me so far. I had a private teacher at school which i began learning theory with but then fell into the trap of begging him to teach me songs which I could have done myself.

It was here that i met my demise, i was learning new songs but getting no better. I started off with Green Day > Nirvana > AC/DC > Metallica > Guns and Roses > Iron Maiden > Racer X etc I got much better when i started learning Metallica in contrast to Green Day/Nirvana but since then im just learning songs and getting no better.

When I improvise I have a very poor knowledge of scales. I have some knowledge on the major/minor and the pentatonic/blues scales but these aren't enough any more.

I think it's obvious that i need to learn music theory, in order to understand how to improvise better, through learning scales/modes etc. To do so, surely I'd need to buy some books.

Would anyone recommend any books? I'm looking for books relevant to guitar theory not so much on how on how to read music..

I need something, whatever it is to get me back on track, learning other peoples songs is not making me better, so i need advise on how to take the next step

Books? Teacher ? Help!!?

sorry for posting in multiple forums, just thought it to be relevant to all
LEarn Theory.
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
i really would rather use book sources than the internet, sure the internet had some great stuff on it, but it takes a while to find the best sources, does anyone recommend any books for guitar theory?
chords and scales for guitarists by david mead.
this book really helped me, it teaches you preety much everything and he explains everthing really well
vague answer, but guitar magazines are full of self help, books, vids, ect. have you ever considered the mabey you are just burnt out, and the best thing that you could really do for your ascention on the guitar is to take a breather, go play paintball, take up painting, play some thing else for a while. the bass helped me alot w/ my improvement on the guitar.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
If your improvisation seems stale then you need to listen to as much new music as possible; a new scale won't help you anywhere near as much as hearing the instrument played in a different context and in a different way to what you usually listen to. If you learn a new scale you'll just end up playing the new scale in the same old way but hearing new phrasing will permeate into your playing and you'll start using the old scales in a new way which will sound much fresher than new scales the old way.

As for finding the passion for the instrument again the only person that can really do that is you; we can't tell you how to find the inspiration to play but I will offer one piece of advice: think back to why you started playing and why it was so much fun and try to recature that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
burning out isn't my problem, if want my honesty, the problem was playing video games for too long, in particular World of Warcraft and leaving my guitar on the side to gather dust.
Last edited by sharpy1 at Jul 21, 2008,
my son is a big d&d fan and im hoplessly addicted to oblivion
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
it really doesn't help, all my free time before WoW was spent playing the guitar, then it changed I don't play anymore btw
dude put down the warcrack, and go out side get some sun light on your face. join a band, learn theory as every body else here has said, play punk, its fun, i play it all the time. practice is boring split your time between learning something new and ripping thru songs that you know/want to know. if your song index is a big one then go play em live in a band. pick up chicks, your a guitar player man... get out there aaaaaahhhhhhhhh.(runs out door like john belushi in animal house) really dude, i tell my kid this all the time.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
hey mig, as stated i quit wow over a year ago, i just got back from kos with 10 mates yesterday and do 'get out there'. Its just upon arriving home i starting thinking of how to spend my time and see this as the wisest option.
cool, i just get alittle excited sometimes .
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by sharpy1
hey mig, as stated i quit wow over a year ago, i just got back from kos with 10 mates yesterday and do 'get out there'. Its just upon arriving home i starting thinking of how to spend my time and see this as the wisest option.

I think we may have just hit the problem: why did you decide to start playing again? Was it because you want to or because you already have the instrument and think it would be a good way to use your time?

You have to want to play guitar or it just won't happen.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
learn theory and have patience
Guitars:
Gibson SG
Alvarez 6 string acoustic
Alvarez 12 string acoustic/electric
B.C. Rich Warlock
SQUIER
Ibanez 4 string bass

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace
-Jimi Hendrix R.I.P
Three chords and two scales are enough.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
books books books! please recommend me some books

chords and scales for guitarists by david mead.
beleive me this book is really good