Ok basically I am borrowing a Laney VC30-112 right now. It has absolutely amazing cleans but lacks in distortion - however I think that my distortion and other effects pedals sound great on it. However before hearing this amp I was planning to get a Peavey Valveking 112, which I thought may be more suitable as I play a lot of different styles, from Jack Johnson style stuff to pop-rock to metal. Basically, I can buy the Laney very soon and use it for a gig on saturday, or wait longer and spend an extra £100 or so on the Peavey. What I want to know is: Is it worth it? And would the Peavey really have that much of an advantage for distorted stuff over the Laney?

Thanks
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Vk...
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
'd go for the laney with a tubescreamer to push it. BUT:
What about a JCM 800 second hand? That would be perfect imo.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL

If I knew someone who was selling one then I'd probably go for it. I'm a bit sceptical (sp?) about buying expensive things used from people I don't know cheers for the suggestion though. I may go with the Laney and Tubescreamer idea
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Quote by Horlicks
Laney>VK. VK sucks

The VK has its niche - but I'd agree that you should go for the Laney, you've already tried it and like it.
i have the laney VC-15, i had a valveking. trust me, get the laney. the laney can be pushed REALLY well with a pedal. the VK needs alot of aftermarket messin with, whereas the laney may only need a new speaker.

the VK doesn't push well at all. it almost sounds solid state at high volumes.
laney VC can be pushed to VK level od with a good pedal (but with much nicer tone)
"A good song should make you want to tap your feet and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I’m only interested in writing great songs." - Tom Morello
Quote by guitar/bass76
The VK has its niche - but I'd agree that you should go for the Laney, you've already tried it and like it.

That's what I was thinking as well. I can get it for probably £180 - £200, it's less than a year old and I'm really liking the sound. I think I may go for it. Plus it means I won't have to use an MG100DFX (or whatever one it is) at my gig on Saturday

Thanks for the comments guys.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Laneys have great tone but their distortion tends to be very dry sounding and lack....sizzle.
Peavey's have more gain on tap and generally have more juice to them. There tone is equally good, if not better than Laneys.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by LP_CL

I would go with a Vintage Modern. Those Marshalls are actually better because at this point, the JCMs are just more of a lower end tube amp with a Marshall design logo. I'm not saying they're bad by all means. But the price you pay for them to the quality is just par.

A lot of people think that they can achieve Slash/Hammett/Rhoades sounds, and they are quite mistaken. All of those JCMs have either been modified, or are the older models which are quite good, but they cost lots and lots.

If I'm not mistaken, Slash used a Vintage Modern on the recording of his Velvet Revolver album Liberatad.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Laney!!
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I would go with a Vintage Modern. Those Marshalls are actually better because at this point, the JCMs are just more of a lower end tube amp with a Marshall design logo. I'm not saying they're bad by all means. But the price you pay for them to the quality is just par.

A lot of people think that they can achieve Slash/Hammett/Rhoades sounds, and they are quite mistaken. All of those JCMs have either been modified, or are the older models which are quite good, but they cost lots and lots.

If I'm not mistaken, Slash used a Vintage Modern on the recording of his Velvet Revolver album Liberatad.

JCM800>Vintage Modern
Quote by Van Noord
Laneys have great tone but their distortion tends to be very dry sounding and lack....sizzle.
Peavey's have more gain on tap and generally have more juice to them. There tone is equally good, if not better than Laneys.

Not the VK. The VK sound really thin and sterile IMO.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
yeah vintage modern and a jubilee i would go with the laney if i were you why dont you just go into your locl gc and try one out
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Quote by angusslashdime
yeah vintage modern and a jubilee i would go with the laney if i were you why dont you just go into your locl gc and try one out

There is no GC in England. At least look where people live to get an idea of best amps to price ratio for that region, and you'd also spot shops that the person can use - allowing for an informed piece of advice given.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
If you're in the UK the laney will definitely be better value for money, as well as being a superior amp imo. Its a lot more versatile than the valveking (gain=/=versatility), but its not really voiced right for metal - of course, it could do it if you used an EQ and some kind of overdrive pedal which had lots of gain. But i also think you'd be better off with something like a used Marshall JCM800.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Laneys are effing hard to equalize. But once you get it down, they contain awesome tones.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by PhantomNote
Laneys are effing hard to equalize. But once you get it down, they contain awesome tones.

Not all of them, obviously.
With my VC, it sounds great on almost any combination - I just have to worry about the Tone control and drive.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Pg.inc_music
I don't like the valve king, but I would recomend a peavey over a laney any day

=_=
That has gotta be one of the most retarded things I have read all day.