I am looking for a few pedals. I play in an old school hardcore/punk band and I want a tone thats a little different than the most crispy/punky tones of most other hardcore bands. I want a real sludgy dirty tone....the best examples I could give are something like Queens of the Stone Age on Era Vulgaris. Im running a DK2M with seymour duncan stock pickups through a VHT 50/CL and Blue Voodoo cab.

I was in Philly recently and was looking around at boutique/homemade pedals but I couldnt afford any. Now, back in Boston, its hard to find random weird pedals like that. What are some good old vintage, weird, and sludgy pedals that I should give a look at?
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but i think a nice fuzz pedal could offer you part of what you're after?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Mr. Music out in Allston and Nitro Tone over in Cambridge usually have some cool stuff.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
A. Try playing with your tone knob rolled all the way down. Do a little experimenting with what you currently have. Up the bass, down the treble and mids a bit, combine different pickup positions, etc..

B. If you're still not satisfied, try getting maybe a dist pedal for a bass.
This is a bit of a gamble, but you can try getting something with really extreme dist, like the Digitech DM pedal (or something that doesn't require intense EQing to sound decent), and EQing it to sound more bass heavy.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Big Muff or some kind of girth-y fuzz pedal. Or a Bass pedal like the MXR El Grande Bass Fuzz, that thing is dope for guitar but has a stupid amount of volume
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Big Muff would do ya
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Fuzz pedal or what dead-fish suggested.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
the jackson will probably be too bright for some sludginess. I'd go for a warmer guitar, maybe a semi-hollow since that's what Josh Homme uses, along with Troy. THAT, along with your amp should help with some sludginess (i mean hell, Isis use VHT Pittbulls, and they can get some serious [yet clear] sludge out of em). Otherwise, spend the money on an older tube Ampeg Combo. Both Josh and Troy supposedly use older Ampegs with QOTSA, although Troy's been rumored to be muckin around with Bad Cat amps.

If you really want to go the pedal route, a treble booster with your VHT should do it, or a fuzz pedal to just wool it up a bit. I'd go with a Keeley Java Boost, EHX Big Muff, or BYOC Large Beaver (it's a vintage big muff clone).

Although, now that i think about it, a Treble booster and an old Ampeg may just be the heart of the QOTSA sound.

Either way, a treble booster or a fuzz pedal should work.
Actually I sat for a good two hours with my VHT and I pulled the exact tone I want out of it. Its really nice.

What do you think would be some good pedals for an ambient type sound? Like a minus the bear type delay and stuff?
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Like it or not your cheapest and easiest route is through fuzz pedals.
I doesn't matter if you use the distortion on it or not, but...
Here's the winner!

Get a more natural/musical guitar, (I have a hagstrom that gets satanically dark tones)
Boost the bass and mid in you eq in your amp, roll of the treble and play with the tone knob on your guitar as you wish. I reccomend bridge pickup.
Go get yourself a Zvex Wooly mammoth. The Subs on that pedal will blow your amp up if you're not careful. It's godly, and godly versatile on fuzz tones too, it'll do a VERY brassy/reedy tone straight down to Electric Wizard/Sleep sludge.

Check out the demo at www.zvex.com you can't miss the pedal....

Other than that
If you Can't afford that, I'd reccomend the EHX graphic fuzz (adjustable attack tones), Bass Fuzz, or Engligh Muffn' which beleive it or not has a HUMUNGOUS low end.
Quote by Teh Forest King
Actually I sat for a good two hours with my VHT and I pulled the exact tone I want out of it. Its really nice.

What do you think would be some good pedals for an ambient type sound? Like a minus the bear type delay and stuff?

Self-oscillating delay + Fuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz + Octave + Compressor = post rock.
Quote by Teh Forest King

Damn dude, you DO have a great taste in music. Didn't you ask awhile ago about Bad Cats and Kurt Ballou's tone? Out of curiousity, have you gotten close to it with the VHT?

Anyways, a Line 6 DL4 is a must have for a MTB like Delay, along with a Boss DD-20. Here's Dave Knudson's entire pedalboard for recording Planets of Ice: http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h288/14domino/poidkpb.jpg . He's got 4 different DL4s, i guess for differents settings, and for doing different samples and whatnot. I got that image from GuitarGeek, since someone posted in there awhile ago about his pedalboard. Here's the link for the thread: http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92358 . I didn't feel like reading the entire thing (it's 7 pages long!), but I know Dave actually posts in the thread at least once, so read on if you want some more of his effects. He does have an EHX HOG, and what looks to be a Boss Reverb/Delay Pedal (i'm guessing the RV-3 since it's got 2 seconds of delay on tap). Hope that helps.
Wait what do you guys mean by self oscillating delay? Would you put that in front of the distortion for a freak out effect? I can't even imagine how nuts that would get... Help me out here I'm not really into sludge too much so what would that do?
Hagstrom Super Swede Valveking 112 BBE free fuzz Crybaby
What do you make of a society that is so primitive that it clings to the belief that certain words in its language are so powerful that they could corrupt you the moment you hear them? - Zappa