I have been playing for like 6 or 7 years and am starting to get a lot more serious about it, and consequently better. I have always stuck to learning theory like chord progressions and scales mostly. Also I spend alot more time playing with other guitarists and other instruments than most people I know. My main flaw is I really don't learn songs, occasionally I wonder how a riff is played and learn it, but rarely the entire song. Is this really so terrible? Most people I talk to tell me this is no way to learn, but I have gotten loads better at improvising, and very comfortable playing. As I said I'm starting to get more serious, and I'm now wondering if buckling down and learning songs would be beneficial or just continuing what I know and enjoy would still allow me to progress. Any thoughts?
i think learning songs in their entirety is good moreso for the skill of songwriting and arrangement, which if you plan on writing songs that don't suck it's pretty crucial.
Nooo, it's not really so bad, it does show you how to harmonize with another guitarist, but its not gonna inhibit your playing.
It's not so bad, but being able to play all the way through a song is essential if you ever want to play live.
Quote by tubetime86
I'm starting to get more serious, and I'm now wondering if buckling down and learning songs would be beneficial

yes, it almost certainly would be a benefit. Its good ear training, it will give you a musical perspective to all the theory you have learned, and its also inspiring (assuming music inspires you).
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 21, 2008,
I find it very rewarding when I learn a new song all the way through. It's helps you to see the progress you make from all your hard work.
It's not necessary but when someone asks you to play something and they're not musically inclined, making stuff up on the fly will not impress them as much as playing a song they are familiar with. Basically, it's not required but, everyone should have a few songs up their sleeves for times when you play for family/friends.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
All valid responses, sort of what I expected to hear. I would like to learn songs more, but I never learn them the whole way through mostly because I can't play two guitar parts and just one doesn't cut it. How do you overcome difficulty learning a song the whole way through without the accompaniment?
Quote by tubetime86
All valid responses, sort of what I expected to hear. I would like to learn songs more, but I never learn them the whole way through mostly because I can't play two guitar parts and just one doesn't cut it. How do you overcome difficulty learning a song the whole way through without the accompaniment?

I basically make it a point to learn songs that sound good with 1 guitar. Thats hard to do if you only like modern music, as every band seems to have 2 guitars. Sometimes you have to explore a bit to find something thats worthwhile.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by tubetime86

http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=914878

I have solutions to that problem in that thread. Check it out.
For me when i try and learn a song with two guitar parts I learn both parts, but use the melody parts when playing it back. For ex. if a second guitar is chunking out a chord prog. i'll play the other guitar part. Granted with a lot of music today there tend to be a lot of overdubs, but try and pick out the part that is/follows the main melody of the song. My 2cts.
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic
Marshall JCM800 1-12 split channel