I'm considering getting a Laptop to record with, I'm looking for something I can put out a Professional quailty CD with. Try to keep it under $1,000, I'm using a Pod X3 for Guitar, Bass, Vocals and Roland V-drums for obviously the drums. thanks.
Last edited by Osiris77 at Jul 21, 2008,
Check the requirments for all the hardware, then look for software to go with it, then look for a laptop with those settings at least. It won't be the highest quality, but it'll be good enough to sell if you spend some time on it.

Good luck!

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
http://anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=3351&p=3

I recommend getting a USB or Firewire interface to record sound with, otherwise the quality will be mediocre at best. The ART Dual Pre is $100 and will do a decent job hooking up your stuff one at a time.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Jul 21, 2008,
You probably won't get a "professional quality cd" without spending "professional quality cd" money.

For a laptop under $1k just be sure to get as much RAM and Processor as you can afford. An Intel Core 2 Duo is probably a good choice. Stay away from budget processors like the Intel Celeron and AMD Turion. RAM is very important especially if you're using Vista. It's a resource hog. Make sure your hard drive is at least 5400 RPMs. 7200 is preferable, especially if you're mulitracking.

Above that $1000 I would invest in a decent audio interface.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Would I get more for less If I just bought a desktop? The only time it will actually need to leave my house is when I record the drums but that would be to bad after all I'm used to lugging alot of gear around anyways.
Yes, desktops are always a better value than a laptop. I'd go for that instead, and you'll have enough money for the Art Dual Pre, Mackie Onyx Satellite, or Presonus 1394 Inspire to make good recordings. Then you could get iZotope Ozone for a good mastering plugin that is a solid step towards good CD sound (though the majority of that comes through good mixing and volume levels).
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Jul 21, 2008,
Yeah, you could build a killer desktop with XP for less than $1000.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
You can buy off the shelf a perfectly adequate desktop for about $300 with XP. Things have gotten so that you can't build them for as cheap as what you can buy them off the shelf for.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10107121&catid=
...comes with Vista, and under $300.

Nonetheless.... say:
$300 computer

That leaves you with $700 for:
mic - you'll need one *at least* for vocals
interface and preamp - you'll need something to plug the mic into
software - can get pricey, but there are some good inexpensive options
monitors - you won't get anything better than 'barely listenable' without them.

Recording bass and guitars direct - all of them - is ill-advised. Sure, it can be done, but you want pro results?

Programmed drums - can work awesome if you have an awesome e-kit, and have a really solid drummer and a solid handle on editing these kinds of things. You also need a high quality sample library (more money!!) or else it will sound like the crap that everyone associates with midi drums.

The short version - there is a reason why pro studios use expensive gear, and there is a reason why they get the results they do. Don't think you can do what they do without their tools - never mind their experience and knowledge, which is a HUGE part of the equation.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Jul 21, 2008,