Page 1 of 2
http://new.uk.music.yahoo.com/blogs/guestlist/2560/john-lydon-accused-of-racist-attack

John Lydon attacks Bloc party singer Kele Okereke;

Okereke, claims the attack took place after he attempted to engage Lydon in conversation backstage however Lydon became "intimidating and aggressive while his entourage responded with a racist tirade, including the statement, 'your problem is your black attitude'." Three members of Lydon's staff then allegedly attacked Okereke

what does everyone think about this talentless wanker and his shite band?

tbh this actually makes me so mad that this prick gets any attention or acclaim (not just this but his total lack of talent)
Quote by imthehitcher

yeah bloc party are pretty bad eh
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by imthehitcher
http://new.uk.music.yahoo.com/blogs/guestlist/2560/john-lydon-accused-of-racist-attack

tbh this actually makes me so mad that this prick gets any attention or acclaim (not just this but his total lack of talent)

I wouldn't go as far as to call the Bloc Party talentless...
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Giving as I consider Yahoo news to be one of the poorest examples of mainstream journalism and the fact that John Lydon loves black music and has been friends with tons of blacks over the years, I'd bet there's a bit of an exaggeration in there. Not to mention the fact that everything the man does is a joke. He's never done a serious thing in his life, and if you think he has, he obviously got what he wanted out of you.
DOWN&OUT
Well the black guy probably pulled the race card, the Sex Pistols rock.

Face it, some black people (Such as Al Sharpton) have the rascist, although poorly worded, "Black Attitude".

Sorry to burst your bubble, get over it.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Whilst I don't condone racism in any of it's forms it seems that his entourage were guilty of the remarks and Lydon was merely being rude. I'm not a fan of 70's/80's punk but even I recognise the influence of the band.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavnofingrprnt
well there are only three true people alive today who are actually possesed by satan

Dakota Fanning, the kfc general dude, and my neighbor and all of them dont have much musical ability
Eh, if it was the singer from a good band I might actually care, but frankly they both suck.

I'd agree that Rotten isn't a great musician, but the impact of the Sex Pistols is extraordinary.
Eh, I dislike Bloc Party and I hate John's attitude.
You're not brutal.

(click the smiley!)

Quote by Wulphy
Well the black guy probably pulled the race card, the Sex Pistols rock.

pulled 'the race card' because someone was racist!

Fair enough if you ask me

Lydon's also being sued for punching his female assistant in the face, wow, what a guy...

EDIT: If what he said was true. I don't know or care much.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Last edited by meh! at Jul 21, 2008,
The way the bloc party guy is going on just sounds like a lie/exaduration

"I just went up to politely ask him whether PIL was reforming, honest mister and then all of a sudden he said I had a black attitude"
who cares? Johnny Rotten and the Sex Pistols were irrelevant after they released Nevermind the Bollocks. i would have been happy if they released that album, and then completely disappeared.
Public Image Limited were far better than the Sex Pistols. I don't think this is racism, this is politcal correctness gone a bit mad.
Quote by meh!
pulled 'the race card' because someone was racist!

Fair enough if you ask me

Lydon's also being sued for punching his female assistant in the face, wow, what a guy...

Your telling me you've never had a black person go "angry-racist-rawr" on you? It happens all the time here in the city. Many black people here tend to generalize white people as a big glob of hate.

I'm not saying this was the case, but it certainly happens alot over here.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
They are both ****.
LTD EC-400VF
Ibanez RG321MHRB
2005 Epiphone Vintage SG G400
MXR EVH Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DD-7
Korg Pitchblack
Marshall JVM215C
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
well, at least he lives up to his stage name
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
Quote by Wulphy
Your telling me you've never had a black person go "angry-racist-rawr" on you? It happens all the time here in the city. Many black people here tend to generalize white people as a big glob of hate.

And over here.
Just one more reason that I wish Johnny had OD'd with Sid....
And if ever You come near, I will hold up high a mirror.
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You.

never happened to me,

tbh i don't think black people do it because they are black, they do it because they are arseholes

so why generalise?

the fact is Kele is a very reasonable bloke whereas Lydon isn't therefore i know where my sympathies lay
I wouldn't say that John is a racist, just look at the embracement he made with other cultures in the seventies. Although he does make a point on surrounding himself with money grabbing cheating managers, who probably made up this "entourage".

Lydon is one of the few people with the balls to say what needs to be said. If everyone else in the record industry wasn't such a f*cking pussy then he wouldn't look so negative and evil.
Quote by imthehitcher

they do it because they are arseholes

OMG RACIST! See how I can take something out of context?

the fact is Kele is a very reasonable bloke whereas Lydon isn't therefore i know where my sympathies lay

How do you know he's a very reasonable bloke? Also, from knowing a fair few people who have known Lydon all I've heard is good things, the media have a big thing against him because hes very outspoken and he doesnt "co-operate" with their interviews. Which is only a good thing because the majority of interviewers are vapid lifeforms who wouldnt know their arse from their elbow if their employers didnt tell them.
The Sex Pistols are were a bunch of talentless, drugged up junkies so...

Sucks that they were the grand god fathers of punk and not The Clash.

It is so funny that most people on this site think that black people are more racist to them. That is the most laughable thing I have heard in ages. I'm white and I know that it is the other way around but there is no doubt that every race has its racist days.
Last edited by herman ri2 at Jul 21, 2008,
hmm, this is not very good, but I dont think you should pick a side just becasue you like one band more. If John Lydon actually did just racially attack Kele for no reason, then he is a ****ing wanker and I lose all respect for him, but if it is just the media blowing it way out of proportion, which is the most likely, then I dunno. If kele did something bad to John, then he is gonna have an argument with you.

Im not sure what to think, as that article does not tell the whole story at all
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
wow, that's pretty unsexy.
Your dreams are all out of focus;
Knock you up when you're feeling down.
And all the world feels so unreal...

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Hitler was really smart and could have been a good leader but he was kind of a douche to the Jews.
OMG RACIST! See how I can take something out of context?

you can take things out of context, but if you seriously did you would be a bit of an idiot

How do you know he's a very reasonable bloke? Also, from knowing a fair few people who have known Lydon all I've heard is good things, the media have a big thing against him because hes very outspoken and he doesnt "co-operate" with their interviews. Which is only a good thing because the majority of interviewers are vapid lifeforms who wouldnt know their arse from their elbow if their employers didnt tell them.

well my problem with the sex pistols is their rubbish music, and not really doing much to correct people who praise them as the 'godfathers' of punk, when they clearly are not

the only good thing they ever did was inspire Ian Curtis to make a band

as for Kele, all i have seen and read of him he seems very reasonable and pragmatic- i don't know him personally but this is the impression i get
I ****ing hate ignorant people.

I'm just going to point to Jett's post, and be done with it.
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
we must band together and use our guitars as weapons against this
Quote by BrianApocalypse
f*cking pussy
Lydon's a wanker his band are/were ****. Doesn't surprise me.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by SuperBlob
I ****ing hate ignorant people.

I'm just going to point to Jett's post, and be done with it.

*-)

Quote by imthehitcher
you can take things out of context, but if you seriously did you would be a bit of an idiot

...or a journalist looking to sink a big story

Quote by imthehitcher
well my problem with the sex pistols is their rubbish music, and not really doing much to correct people who praise them as the 'godfathers' of punk, when they clearly are not

the only good thing they ever did was inspire Ian Curtis to make a band

as for Kele, all i have seen and read of him he seems very reasonable and pragmatic- i don't know him personally but this is the impression i get

Woh hey there! Nice opinion! Can I have one, too?
Are you seriously saying that because you don't like the Sex Pistols music and get offended by John Lydon's shock rock act that we should condemn him as a racist no questions asked when his past shows him to be rather intrigued by African and Jamaican culture? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost positive that after the Sex Pistols broke up he moved to Jamaica or at least spent a good amount of time living there with the locals.

EDIT: I'm not basing my argument on how much I like the Sex Pistols. I hate John Lydon. I think he's a fucking douche bag. I just don't think this story makes much sense at all. I've never even heard Bloc Party. I wouldn't know if I like them or not.
DOWN&OUT
Last edited by Jett Diamond at Jul 21, 2008,
I love how a lot of you think Okereke is lying because:

"lol the sex pistols were liek so influential and bloc partay sucks okereke has no talent lolz"

What does that have to do with anything? I don't really believe him either, but you can't use how much you like the Sex Pistols as a basis for your argument.
I'm a person.
Quote by PinkIsCool
I love how a lot of you think Okereke is lying because:

"lol the sex pistols were liek so influential and bloc partay sucks okereke has no talent lolz"

What does that have to do with anything? I don't really believe him either, but you can't use how much you like the Sex Pistols as a basis for your argument.

Sorry, when has anyone said anything remotely like that? You're just trying to be different. The majority of people here are saying he's a racist (Oh no! Eek! Eek! A racist!) or that his band is ****.
Quote by Jett Diamond
*-)

Oi oi oi! Etc. etc.

Seriously though.

Interview with Don Letts -
http://www.punk77.co.uk/groups/donlettsinterview.htm

As you can see, he is black. And what's this?

Quote by Don Letts
You know in the late 70's the only white people you would see down at a Jah Shaka dance in Dalston, Hackney or Stoke Newington, would be Johnny Rotten, those guys from Public Image, Joe Strummer, and other guys from The Pistols or The Clash, and these were my friends, people I'd taken with me. Now it's great to see so many different kinds of people, different nationalities in the dance.

Let's see. Johnny Rotten, check. And what's this? FRIEND?!

Real racist, eh?

I could find more examples, but it's too dull.
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Wait, doesn't it say his entourage made the statement? So basically the press are making it worse than it is.

He is an ass and is talentless it's true but did he himself make a racist comment? Doesn't look like it.
If it was a black guy saying "your white attitude" it wouldn't be considered a big deal.

Amerifail.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Woh hey there! Nice opinion! Can I have one, too?
Are you seriously saying that because you don't like the Sex Pistols music and get offended by John Lydon's shock rock act that we should condemn him as a racist no questions asked when his past shows him to be rather intrigued by African and Jamaican culture? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost positive that after the Sex Pistols broke up he moved to Jamaica or at least spent a good amount of time living there with the locals.

i've never been offended by the 'shock rock' of the sex pistols, only by their inability to write good music- however this is not what offendsme the most about the sex pistols rathe rit is the acclaim they receive

and at no point did he claim him a racist, i said he was involved in a racist attack, whether it was racist or not he still had (or was involved) in beating someone up for seemingly nothing which is pathetic

and it is easy to side against him since he is also being sued for punching a female assistant- so obviously a classy guy

and because he adopts black culture that means he is incapable of racism?

so the skin head movement, explain that for me please

EDIT:
Amerifail.

never men are American, and the news report is not American either- i fail to see any link

im a little annoyed at everyone's "oh it is political correctness gone wrong" a man got beaten up and witnesses saw it, whether it was racially motivated or not, it was still a pathetic act
Quote by imthehitcher

and because he adopts black culture that means he is incapable of racism?

so the skin head movement, explain that for me please

Alot of racist skinheads didnt have much of a problem with blacks. More with asians. Besides, the bonehead movement doesnt associate itself with the roots of it anyway, and infact most boneheads dont even look like original skinheads.
I doubt he's racist. It was probably something taken out of context. I agree with Jett.

Edit: I just read the article... It says his enteurage (however it's spelled) was making the racist comments, not him. I bet a lot of people didn't read the article.
Last edited by werty22 at Jul 21, 2008,
Quote by imthehitcher

I dunno I seem to remember reading things about him that weren't very reasonable, he had a go at poor old jack white for some reason too.

John Lydon is a bit of a prick anyway so he was probably being more testy than making a proper racist attack.
Page 1 of 2