I just joined my church's band as lead guitarist, and i need help. i dont know how to improvise other than some pentatonics or broken chords. i need things that will make the praise band leader know that he made a good descision recruiting mean.

what i mean is this: the rythem guitarist plays the chords, and i need to do something else that will spice everything up. help!
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
The easiest way would be to figure out the notes in the chords you playing over, then use those notes. If you don't deviate from those chords, it's damn near impossible to sound bad, you probably wont sound exceptionally good, but you wont sound bad.

p.s. how tough can the crowd possibly be
Learn the chord progression then learn those individual scales and sweeps, and have fun. You don't have to sweep fast either, when folk jamming I through in some broken sweeps and add some notes and it turns out well.
/\ I think he/she is referring to arpeggios, a church wont be impressed with sweeping.
haha sweeping at church would be awesome, they may be pissed with the high gain distortion tho since theres old people there haha
Quote by lumpy890
/\ I think he/she is referring to arpeggios, a church wont be impressed with sweeping.

haha thats what i was gonna do.

and how'm i supposed to learn each notes of every scale?
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
Arpeggios go a long way
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by weetadsftw
haha thats what i was gonna do.

and how'm i supposed to learn each notes of every scale?

most of the time you can learn the pattern
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Artist
IbanezGXR20
Line 6 Spider ll 75
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Nano Small Stone
Alvarez FF60WR

Labyrinth Within
Quote by everlong12
haha sweeping at church would be awesome, they may be pissed with the high gain distortion tho since theres old people there haha

You know that sweeps don't have to be distorted or fast, right? It could be on an acoustic playing eighth notes at 60bpm and it'd still be sweeping.
ok so you know how to move your open chords for CAGED chords right? so now when there playing a G open chord you can go up and Play a C shaped G chord for a different voicing and you can just pick the notes there and hold em to make it sound cool. ALSO Each caged chord has its own position of a scale. So say E minor Pentetonic you play an Em Bar chord. Then you can play the minor pentetonic scale for the E shape which is the first position. You can also improvise in the CAGED forms of the chord as long as its the same note E. so he could play an E and then you could play a D shape E chord then hit some pentetonics and move the the next chord in the Progression. I prolly didn't explain that well but o well im trying to master this now
fast sweeping licks with tapped arps. with liberal use of tritone...

Or you could work out the vocal melody and try to play that if your improv aint good enough to countermelody. Also play broken chords/triads higher up on the fretboard.

Also try to sustain the notes of the chord, or try violining - rolling your guitar's volume up from 0 after picking the note for a cool sound (like the beginning of canon rock by funtwo). Adds nice texture to a song.
Last edited by Lefty_God at Jul 21, 2008,
Practice man. Find out the songs you're going to be playing and practice them. Record a rhythm track and practice playing lead over top. You want to create some interesting melodies. Usually chords progressions will be from a particular scale. But if there's a key change you need to be aware. Analyse the song as deep as you possibly can and by the time it comes to playing you should know exactly what you're going to be playing.

Some things to consider...
Look at what the bass lines are doing in the chords and the top lines also as these are typically the lines most easily picked out and followed by the average listener. Look for extensions and alterations in the chord progression as well as they will capture attention and you don't want to play a bum note against them.
Learn to play the vocal lines on the guitar as well for melodic analysis. Be careful not to be too adventurous when the vocalist is leading or you could cause a crash. Stick to the chords under the vocals.

Basically get to know the songs inside out and practice practice practice.

Rehearse with the band and use the time to try things out, Maybe harmonizing the vocal line on your guitar. Be free with new ideas - free enough to chuck them out if they aren't working. If you put in the work before hand you should be able to click right in.

Then new songs get easier and easier because you'll get a handle on what works and you'll find the same chords popping up in different ways constantly challenging you to expand your musical ingenuity.

Good Luck.
Si