Poll: Should my next bass be a 5 String?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should my next bass be a 5 String?
No
2 5%
Yes
11 29%
Be sure first
25 66%
Voters: 38.
Ok, i know that some people think that 5 strings are abominations and evil bass guitars (i once did), but its really annoying sometimes having to constantly tune down to a C or even a B. Since i am saving for a new giutar anyway, i was just wondering if i should get a 5 string.
Last edited by bigAYR1000 at Jul 21, 2008,
Learn with a 4 string first and spend lots of time like, 8 months? If you feel ready go for a 5.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Quote by iTzMaTT
Learn with a 4 string first and spend lots of time like, 8 months? If you feel ready go for a 5.

5 strings are not some sort of bass for more 'advanced' players. If you find them more comfortable to play, then get one.

Having a 5 string does not mean you never drop tune. Some things are far easier to play when drop tuned.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by iTzMaTT

well, ive had a four string for nearly a year now, but cant you play four string songs on a five just by ignoring the lowest string or something?
You should definetly get a 5 string as long as you already know the basics of a bass because its a steeper learning curve if you start with a 4 string.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by bigAYR1000
well, ive had a four string for nearly a year now, but cant you play four string songs on a five just by ignoring the lowest string or something?

You could do this, or you could play the notes taht are usually on the E string five frets higher in the B string. It's up to you how you handle it.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by AmpleSteak
You should definetly get a 5 string as long as you already know the basics of a bass because its a steeper learning curve if you start with a 4 string.

Please explain this logic.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Well i suppose it is slightly steeper, but only due to you have to learn the notes on the B string as well as the usual 4 strings. heh

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by gm jack

1) Most tabs are written in a 4 string format which can cause confusion to a beginner

2) An extra string adds more notes

3) Harder to learn stuff like slapping and double thump due to another string in the way

4) Wider neck most of the time thicker too which can cause difficulty
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

My Band:
Quote by AmpleSteak
1) Most tabs are written in a 4 string format which can cause confusion to a beginner

2) An extra string adds more notes

3) Harder to learn stuff like slapping and double thump due to another string in the way

4) Wider neck most of the time thicker too which can cause difficulty

That's what you mean. Read what you said.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Just play a 5 string at your local store, if you like it, go for it!
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Just play a 5 string at your local store, if you like it, go for it!

That is my view on it. 5 string felt more natural to me than 4 string ever did after 30 mins of gettingused to the extra string. I doubt I will ever get another 4 string, simply because 5 feel so much more natural.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack

He's probably one of those guitarists who thinks that less strings = easier therefore bass = easier than guitar. Ignore him.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Well if you feel comfortable with one get it. I however have only liked one 5 string a musicman stingray but its to expensive and i found others to have uncomfortable necks and sluggish to play... any one got spare money for me!!! please......
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Ranxston
He's probably one of those guitarists who thinks that less strings = easier therefore bass = easier than guitar. Ignore him.

Apart from the point he said 4 strings is a steeper learning curve.

In reality, it is pretty much the same. After a while on a 5er, you barely notice any difference at all, other than the benefits of extended range and economy of motion.

Go for comfort, rather than getting a 5er because you are to lazy to downtune. Just get a hipshot D tuner if it is really that much effort.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Depends what you like to play, tell us your musical interests and then maybe we could help.
I'd get a cheap one or a half tidy, but cheap second hand one first, then if you dont like at atleast you havn't blown a load of cash on it. I've tried to go to 5 strings about 3 times but have always gone back to 4 after not very long. Some people like them though.

Quote by gm jack

In reality, it is pretty much the same. After a while on a 5er, you barely notice any difference at all, other than the benefits of extended range and economy of motion.

Go for comfort, rather than getting a 5er because you are to lazy to downtune. Just get a hipshot D tuner if it is really that much effort.

Sorry to go off the point but would putting 4 hipshot d-tuners on a bass work? The band I'm playing with is going through a bit of a weird tuning stage+I'm trying to work out wether to buy a cheap down tuning bass or just to mod my Warwick
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Last edited by faultyy at Jul 21, 2008,
I bought a five-string to play the music I liked (Dream Theater etc.) and because our guitarist had a 7-string.

I immediately liked it, and it just feels natural.

It was always my intention to buy a 6-string. But I kinda have grown on the 5-string, so I don't think I will buy a six or another 4-string .

My 2 cents, some people like 5-strings, some people don;t.

+ when a band is playing in dropped c. I tune UP! Which gives me a lot of extra high notes

ps. I'd say try. And if it doesn't feel NOT comfortable BUY it!
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by faultyy
Sorry to go off the point but would putting 4 hipshot d-tuners on a bass work? The band I'm playing with is going through a bit of a weird tuning stage+I'm trying to work out wether to buy a cheap down tuning bass or just to mod my Warwick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY4Ra2KOyas

Of course.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
gm jack's first post is all you need to know, pretty much. There really isn't much difference between a 4 and 5, even neck width wise. Tabs with 4 strings, it's simple to get your head around. The only extra thing I can add to his post (and thank God people are picking up on the downtuning thing ) is that you should go out, try a few 5ers, and 4 strings, and just get the bass that feels right to you.
Quote by gm jack

I made a typo whatever... I mean to say its a steeper learning curve THAN a 4 string...
Quote by Nutter_101

My Band:
Quote by Ranxston
Nice assumption you got there, I bet you got it from my avatar and personal title that im a guitarist and not a bassist... A 4 string is easier than starting with a 5 string its a fact... Sure they are about the same but still it is a LITTLE bit harder for a complete beginner to start with a 5 string.
Quote by Nutter_101

My Band:
Quote by AmpleSteak
Nice assumption you got there, I bet you got it from my avatar and personal title that im a guitarist and not a bassist... A 4 string is easier than starting with a 5 string its a fact... Sure they are about the same but still it is a LITTLE bit harder for a complete beginner to start with a 5 string.

The problem with your last sentence is that a complete begionner learns to play with what they have, and there's no way to compare that person as a complete beginner with a 4 string against the same person as a complete beginner with a 5 string.

A complete beginner is a complete beginner, and therefore wouldn't be able to think in terms of "oh, this neck is too wide" when they haven't learnt on anything previously. If you get me.
Quote by AmpleSteak

Sorry about that. I quoted the wrong post. The other one was made by the same guy. It was about the first guy that posted in the topic.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
see, now i used to be very anti 5 string, and as a result have been subject to much abuse from many users on this site, BUT whilst playing my 4 stringer, i have often thought a higher b string, after g would be useful to me as i really love octaves, but sometimes am to lazy to go further up the neck.
If you were to use the low or high b then it makes sense.
Quote by salemboicot
huh? Is that to me??? If so, i don't have a clue about 5 string basses, but it was an assumption that it would go to a B after g. is that wrong?
Yes it was to you...most people have a high C if they want a note above the G so their bass is in straight fourths. Guitarists have a high B string because it's better for open chords, but that's not an issue for bass.
i don't like 5 strings because the necks are usually to fat and i'm a skinny kinda guy.... but incase you didnt know 5 strings are tuned BEADG so you can ignore the last string. but it can be harder to switch from 4 to 5 at first because you are use to the top string being an E when it's now a B. so you may find your self playing wrong if your not really paying attention to it... But all of this is my opinion and it may not hold true to you or anyone else....
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
Quote by salemboicot
I see. It sounds like something to think over myself. thanks.

play one or two. see if you like it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
After playing a 4 string for about 4 and a half years, i went to a 6 string. You should also look at 6 strings too.
I never thought I wanted a 5 string until I played one of my teachers. Its nice to have the option of the lower notes and if you have smaller hands, having the efficiency that the extra string brings is wonderful.

I am still undecided whether getting a 5 er as your first bass is a good or bad idea, but I definitely think that one give a 5 string a try to see if it works for them.