Just been giving 'Streetcleaner' a good spin.

This is fantastic stuff. Brilliant band. At least some albums anyway.
slaughtercuuuuuuult.....!
i've wanted to check them out for ages but i've never gotten around to it.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
I bought " Pure" and i don't really know if i like it much. I'll have to check their back catalog.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Bump

Godflesh > Jesu TAKE THAT POST/XPRMNTL THREAD!!!!!

Streetcleaner is Justin's (we're on a first name basis with each other) magnum opus.
Whenever awesome Godflesh albums are discussed, there's never any love for 'Songs of Love and Hate'.
The S/T is incredible, and i've grown to apreciate Pure as well. But the earlier stuff is allot more timeless,fits the description of Industrial perfectly.
Quote by Steve08

I must admit that I do actually fear the possibility that nothing can actually touch the quality of Streetcleaner, so I refuse to listen to it....

christ, I'm retarded....I will be giving other albums a listen...
I've found Jesus
I'll take Jesu over Godflesh any day... haven't listened to anything besides Streetcleaner, though, I should rectify that.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Having owned every Godflesh album, I have to say that you shouldn't expect any of their post-Streetcleaner material to sound anything like it. That said, I very much enjoy all of their albums; though the last two have a couple of dud tracks. My ranking is:

1. Streetcleaner
2. Godflesh
3. Love and Hate in Dub
4. Slavestate
5. Slateman
6. Pure
7. Selfless
8. Songs of Love and Hate
9. Cold World
10. Hymns
11. Messiah
12. Us and Them

Depending on my mood, a few things will shift spots. All of their material is essential in my book, even Us and Them and Hymns are also worth getting (they have some fantastic tracks, but are also the only Godflesh releases with songs I would call bad.)
Last edited by Psychopathology at Dec 5, 2010,
Well, Selfless was a pleasant surprise. Of course, it couldn't reach the almighty heights that Streetcleaner had reached before, but it was more reflective of where Broadrick would eventually take things ala Jesu. Also the grit was replaced with a more resonant and dense sonic wealth of noise, making the fvcking beast of monolithic proportions that suffocated you to the last minute and built upon simple ideas in such an effective way one couldn't help but be in awe.

The beast that is Go Spread Your Wings.
I've found Jesus
If I've enjoyed a few Jesu songs I've heard, would that be indicative in any way that I'd enjoy Godflesh? Or are they totally different. I'm downloading Streetcleaner right now, just curious, and ignorant obviously.
My name is Josh.
Listen to my shitty covers!
Quote by asator
Gee, I think we should have a seals and rhinos subforum, I have so much to say about seals and rhinos I don't even know where to begin! Boy, I sure do love seals and rhinos! Golly!
They're pretty different bands, Jesu fans i know dislike Godflesh and vice versa.
Quote by Steve08

Alright, well I will be checking out both.

Thanks.
My name is Josh.
Quote by asator
Gee, I think we should have a seals and rhinos subforum, I have so much to say about seals and rhinos I don't even know where to begin! Boy, I sure do love seals and rhinos! Golly!
Conqueror is the only one I remember.
My name is Josh.
Quote by asator
Quote by Life is Easy

Life
Our life
My life
Is expendable
What do you care?
Life is money
Profit is non
Money is life
Profit is null

Life is debt
...Is dead
Is debt
Is Dead
Life is money
Life is death
Is Dead.

Life is expendable. Life is death.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
Life is expendable. Life is death.

I had always taken these lyrics to be more dark satire than literal. Although, I could see how it could be viewed in a literal way as well.

Somewhat reminds me of Repent to Die by Deicide:
Pathetic lives
Every second someone dies
Delightful is the sight of repention
No destiny
Just the certainty of death
In pain inducing lies of salvation
aight guys, so I never really listened to Godflesh, so I've downloaded a bunch of their stuff and have started listening through it chronologically. so far, I've heard the s/t EP, Streetcleaner, and am listening to Slavestate right now.

I have to ask, what is the fuss over this band? Maybe it's just a first listen, but so far nothing has struck me as anything special or out of the ordinary. Not to say that it's bad, though. Everything has been enjoyable and the industrial influence is cool and all, but, I dunno. Nothing so far has felt especially interesting or captivating, just seems like the same style of riffing going on and on and on. Is there something i'm missing, or have they just been hyped up too much for me before I finally checked them out?
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
You are just a chump.

Godflesh is pain, agony, and a bit of salvation stripped down and distilled into a minimalistic yet pure essence.

Deal with it
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
just kinda feels like the music keeps going on and on without much really happening
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by Steve08
There's no hype-- the riffs are bleak and repetitive on purpose. Like industrial machines gradually widdling away one's sanity.

Correct.

It might be useful to re-listen to Streetcleaner as though it was an ambient album. It is intentionally mechanistic and repetitive.

Also worth mentioning is that Broadrick came out of the grindcore scene, so there are elements of minimalism and lefty type politics that bled through into this project.
Rome loves grind though. He probably thought Streetcleaner was more akin to a grind record than Swans
HESSIAN HAREM
Extremely tempted to go see them live in November. Flights only 80 bucks at the moment..
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Streetcleaner crushes so hard there is nothing left... grand album
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Anyone know what stuff they play live these days? All I have is Streetcleaner and 'Songs of Love And Hate' which Im not mad about.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Stranglehold
Anyone know what stuff they play live these days? All I have is Streetcleaner and 'Songs of Love And Hate' which Im not mad about.

their two most recent setlists :

Like Rats
Christbait Rising
Streetcleaner
Tiny Tears
Avalanche Master Song
Mighty Trust Krusher
Life is Easy
Dead Head
Spite
Mothra
Pure
Encore:
Crush My Soul
Slateman

and

Like Rats
Christbait Rising
Pulp
Dream Long Dead
Head Dirt
Devastator
Mighty Trust Krusher
Life is Easy
Streetcleaner
Locust Furnace
Tiny Tears
Wound
Dead Head
Suction

pretty wicked setlists ! The second one is just straight up Streetcleaner, but unless they announce it I wouldn't expect the whole thing.
Last edited by illuminatiano at Sep 28, 2011,
Those set lists made my face go ugh.

Strangles, you should check out the Godflesh EP and Slavestate pronto. Maybe Selfless if you really enjoy them / love Jesu.

Do you love Jesu?
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by progbass
Those set lists made my face go ugh.

In a good way...right ?

cause the first setlist is mostly steetcleaner with a tad from Pure, Godflesh EP, Slavestate and Selfless... which are all a+ in my book