I just got a brand new computer, and Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars is lagging...I'm confused. Here are its stats:

CPU: 2 processors running - AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+

CPU Speed: 3.20 GHz Performance Rated at 9.60 GHz

System Ram: 2.0 GB

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition, 32-bit (Build Service Pack 16001)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT (GeForce 9600 GT)

Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card Video RAM: Required - 128 MB , You have - 1.2 GB
Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You have - Yes
Vertex Shader Ver.: Required - 2.0 , You have - 4.0
Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 2.0 , You have - 4.0

DirectX Version: 10.0

Sound Card: Yes

Sound Card Driver Version: Fully Updated

Free Disk Space: 98.8 GB

DVD: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B ATA Device

It passed with flying colours on the system requirements lab "Can You Run It?" test..it even surpassed the recommended...but yet it still lags. I do not understand.

Can anyone please help me out here?
It doesn't lag online, but when I'm just doing a Skirmish...

The official support forums are always dead.
Try messing around with the screen refresh rate/resolution, unless you mean it's your connection "lagging".
umm.. have you tried lowering some graphic settings?
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
I'll try that Hawiz..however I do that :P

Yes I tried that cyclobs, and it still lags.
2GB is plenty for that game, it wont make any difference - however I recommend you get the extra GB since you're using vista, and it uses up that much extra. If you do decide to get it, make sure it's of the same brand and model as your current ones, or you can sometimes get compatibility issues.
Alright, thanks...how exaclty would I go about messing with the Screen Resolution/Refresh Rate? I'm pretty sure it's not in the settings.
Quote by Chaos669
I'll try that Hawiz..however I do that :P

Yes I tried that cyclobs, and it still lags.

did you set it to the lowest level?

EG: there could be some sort of special effect in there that the nvidia drivers can't handle and it's causing it to lag.. so try setting lowest level and play and then set a higher an higher level untill it starts lagging and then take note of what to turned on and try setting higher settings without that option on
Quote by musical donkey
Last edited by cyclobs at Jul 21, 2008,
Strange, you have a really nice system similar to mine at the moment; I think the 9600gt is a really amazing card for the asking price and heavily overlooked by so called "enthusiasts" who want to hold onto the 8800gt or pointlessly spend money on cards they don't need and still can't tame the most demanding games.

Anyway back to the question...

A) Have you tried formatting windows Vista? or is that a hassle?

B) Have you ran the Windows Experience Index? I get 5.9 for everything apart from RAM, which I get just 5.0; I have 8gb's of 800mhz ram, but of course only 3.5 can be reconised on the common version of Vista Home Premium. Vista deffo likes alot of ram, no doubt.

C) have you tried updating to direct x 10.1, I think it is out? Do you have Service Pack 1 for Vista?

And so on.. ****ing computers.
Yes, yes I did...I don't think the graphics are the problem...maybe the screen refresh/resolution rate whatever Hawiz said :P
i dont know if C&C3 is multi core compatible. Oh and also Core 2 Duo destroys AMD's processors nowadays. AMD used to be the best for gaming but now its not for some reason.

EDIT:my bad i didnt realise you had a 6400..i didnt knwo they existed 0.o im behind the times now
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"

I'm not very good with computers...so I'm not quite sure HOW to format Vista...also I do not know what the Windows Experience Index is...and no, DirectX 10.1 is not out...thanks for the suggestions though!
Quote by Chaos669
I'm not very good with computers...so I'm not quite sure HOW to format Vista...also I do not know what the Windows Experience Index is...and no, DirectX 10.1 is not out...thanks for the suggestions though!

formatting vista wont fix it,

try doing what i posted above
Quote by musical donkey
Quote by Chaos669
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition, 32-bit (Build Service Pack 16001)

There's your problem right there.. (Sorry, but I really don't like Vista).

Have you checked your process manager?
My guess is that you have a shedload of processes and backgroundprograms running which take up a lot of resources.
Windows itself is pretty bad in this area, and Vista's even worse, much due to Aero.

Is your systemtray full of icons and programs? If so, look at what you don't need and do either:
A: uninstall if you don't need it at all
B: Deactivate systemtray option for said program if you need it, but don't need the systemtray program (ie, winamps "Agent", neros "CheckCD" et.al).

The more you remove of what you don't need, the better.
If there are some programs that you remove, but still start up at Windows start up, and you can't seem to get rid of it, check out MsConfig (Start->Run-> Type msconfig -> OK).
Go to the "startup" Tab and unclick anything you don't need.

DISCLAIMER: I TAKE NO RESPONSEBILITY IF YOUR PC WON'T RUN AFTER YOU'VE MESSED AROÙND. If you don't know what you're doing, get someone who does, or don't do it at all.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Check the video quality on the game and try and make it a lower setting.

Edit: Thats the only reasonable thing to do without buying or reformatting anything.
I have like 3 things on my system tray: The connection icon, the volume control, and antivirus...it's new, so there's like nothing on it...I'll try what Cyclobs recommended, thanks though
Quote by YngwieJnr
i dont know if C&C3 is multi core compatible. Oh and also Core 2 Duo destroys AMD's processors nowadays. AMD used to be the best for gaming but now its not for some reason.

EDIT:my bad i didnt realise you had a 6400..i didnt knwo they existed 0.o im behind the times now

maybe they are, but i'll pick AMD over Intel any day
Quote by musical donkey
Refresh rate should be adjustable in the same place you adjust graphics settings. I have the game but it's hardly worth the hassle of reinstalling it just to find out that little detail It shouldn't be difficult to find.
lower al the graphicall settings, if it still lags your problem is going to be somewhere in windows or with drivers...

make sure you dont have AA enabled, make sure you update to the latest graphic drivers, if this doesnt work try with a few diffrent drivers, make sure its not the sound card that is causing teh lagging, its now always the graphics card, try disabling sound and running the game, try reinstalling the game... if that doesnt work i would download a few demos off the net and see if they lag too, if so your graphic card or RAM might be faulting
maybe it doesn't like Dx10
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Might be worth uninstalling your graphics drivers then reinstalling the latest ones, rather than simply updating them. Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Display Adapters>Find your card>Right Click>Uninstall.

Then - http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us (click option 2)

(Sorry I'm using my PC with XP on, should be similar on vista)
Quote by Daniel8488
lower al the graphicall settings, if it still lags your problem is going to be somewhere in windows or with drivers...

make sure you dont have AA enabled, make sure you update to the latest graphic drivers, if this doesnt work try with a few diffrent drivers, make sure its not the sound card that is causing teh lagging, its now always the graphics card, try disabling sound and running the game, try reinstalling the game... if that doesnt work i would download a few demos off the net and see if they lag too, if so your graphic card or RAM might be faulting

there is only one type of drivers for his card and it would be the nvidia 9600 drivers
Quote by musical donkey
This might hold an answer...

Click Computer > Click "System properties" > Click "Windows Experience Index" > Click "Update My Score" > Let it run and don't touch a thing.

Then when you have the results for each components post them here.

This helped me when my monitor/card and drivers were having real real problems.

PS - this is a very simple test and is completely safe.