alright so basically i'm looking for how to get a sound similar to THIS . that's the only example i can think of to show what i mean but basically so that i can sustain or resonate the same note for a long time without having to hit it again...if you know what i mean. i probably sound like a retard and it's because i don't know anything about bass and this wasn't really a good idea but i can't find the other one i was thinking of...so...any help is appreciated.
Well the yeah yeah yeahs don't have a bassist, and it sounds to me like they have used a synth to record the bass track. So it's gonna be very hard to find this tone out of a wooden bass.

But anyways, if you want your bass to sustain longer in general get it set up properly and maybe thinking about upgrading the bridge. The leo quan Badass II is a favourite.

x

EDIT: I've just had an idea, you could use a combination of an 'E-bow' (http://www.ebow.com/) and a synth pedal and this might get you a similar sound out of an electric bass.
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Last edited by shinhoman at Jul 21, 2008,
they dont seem to have a bassist. if you really want that tone, get a synth lol. the ashdown hyperdrive pedal seems to be able to do that sort of tone. look on chemicalfire's profile for a sound clip of it, it sounds pretty similar to the yeah yeah yeahs
Quote by tona_107
hmm well that makes me feel kind of dumb but thanks for the help.

Heh it's no problem, we all make mistakes.
Did you not notice in the video that there wasn't a bassist though?
Shows how much people pay attention to bassists in general really doesn't it?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by shinhoman
Heh it's no problem, we all make mistakes.
Did you not notice in the video that there wasn't a bassist though?
Shows how much people pay attention to bassists in general really doesn't it?

x

i didn't even watch the video i just remembered that the song was kind of what i wanted so i grabbed that as an example for you guys.

hmm i just remembered that radiohead has the same sort of sound for the bass in some of their songs (mostly kid a, ok computer, in rainbows stuff), and i'm gonna guess that's synth too... here's an example.
i know it's different from what i described before but it's basically exactly what i want.

btw i know radiohead has a bassist
Last edited by tona_107 at Jul 21, 2008,
Quote by tona_107
i didn't even watch the video i just remembered that the song was kind of what i wanted so i grabbed that as an example for you guys.

hmm i just remembered that radiohead has the same sort of sound for the bass in some of their songs (mostly kid a, ok computer, in rainbows stuff), and i'm gonna guess that's synth too... here's an

Well in radiohead their bass player plays synth too so you may very well be correct with this.

A good synth pedal would be a good choice to make if you wanted to duplicate some of these sounds.

x

EDIT:
Ahh you added a link. On this song it is just a bass with the tone knob rolled off. Probably a Fender Precision Bass. What gear do you have at the moment?

x

EDIT EDIT:

I have found a picture of Colin Greenwood's two main basses.

They look like a pair vintage Jazz and Precision Basses.

Hope this helps.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
if you want radio head tone, roll down the tone knob on your bass, or your trebles on you amp.
ya my treble is already only like 3 or 4 ...so lower? and tone knob down? i figured it would have rolled all the way up but ok i'll give it a shot thanks.
Quote by shinhoman
Well in radiohead their bass player plays synth too so you may very well be correct with this.

A good synth pedal would be a good choice to make if you wanted to duplicate some of these sounds.

x

EDIT:
Ahh you added a link. On this song it is just a bass with the tone knob rolled off. Probably a Fender Precision Bass. What gear do you have at the moment?

x

EDIT EDIT:

I have found a picture of Colin Greenwood's two main basses.

They look like a pair vintage Jazz and Precision Basses.

Hope this helps.

x

i haaaaaaaaave this bass (i think mine doesn't have a model number anywhere but it looks exactly like that ) and a 90 watt behringer amp that i haven't found on the internet ( i haven't looked to hard either though) actually this is my amp.
There is an edit button, try not to triple post in future.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
well its a bit hard to get his tone iwth a behringer, they have the tonal ability of a penis.
Quote by jb_reborn
well its a bit hard to get his tone iwth a behringer, they have the tonal ability of a penis.

ah i know but i don't exactly have money for a new amp.
to get that tone you need to dial all the trebles down to zero, wtih my experience behringers are really punchy so might need to dial down some mids as well to get the bass heavy radio head tone.
Again, use the edit button, bottom right hand side of your posts...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Again, use the edit button, bottom right hand side of your posts...

you are spamming no less than i am with a post that doesn't contribute anything to the discussion.

anyways i have knobs on my guitar that control the active pickups will i get a less punchy sound more suited to what i want as well? i leave my amp at my friend's house so i don't have a lot of time to dink around with settings i usually just play... also any other suggestions on whether i do in fact want a synth pedal cause the only one i could find with sound clips didn't sound like what i want so i figure i must be missing something.
Quote by tona_107
you are spamming no less than i am with a post that doesn't contribute anything to the discussion.

anyways i have knobs on my guitar that control the active pickups will i get a less punchy sound more suited to what i want as well? i leave my amp at my friend's house so i don't have a lot of time to dink around with settings i usually just play... also any other suggestions on whether i do in fact want a synth pedal cause the only one i could find with sound clips didn't sound like what i want so i figure i must be missing something.

On your ibanez bass, try using only the neck pickup whilst you roll the tone off. That should make the sound more thumpy and bassy.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by shinhoman
On your ibanez bass, try using only the neck pickup whilst you roll the tone off. That should make the sound more thumpy and bassy.

x

this is going to sound absolutely retarded but i don't have a pickup selector, and i haven't seen a bass that does? all i have are 4 knobs one volume one controls the actives and two tone
Quote by tona_107
this is going to sound absolutely retarded but i don't have a pickup selector, and i haven't seen a bass that does? all i have are 4 knobs one volume one controls the actives and two tone

I'm pretty sure that one of the knobs is a pickup pan knob. When its all the way to one side, it should solo one pickup, and when it is all the way to the other side it should solo the other one. When the knob is in the middle it should be a blend of the two.

Check the knobs and see if one of them has 'kink' in it where the knob stops in the middle position. If there is one then that is your pan knob.

x

EDIT: ahhh no scratch that!
here is a pic of the controls, i understand now.

What you want to do is turn the tone knob and the bridge pickup knob all the way down and turn the neck pickup on full.

The eq knob adds extra bass response so keep that quite high.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh k thanks man that makes more sense than what i thought lol. ya i'll give that a shot thanks a lot bud.
again if anyone can help: bass synth pedal?

also... i haven't heard good things from people on here about ibanez gio but mine is a sound gear. i like it but is it ****?
Quote by tona_107
also... i haven't heard good things from people on here about ibanez gio but mine is a sound gear. i like it but is it ****?

It's a good starter bass, and easily worth the money spent on them.

How long have you been playing for?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by shinhoman
It's a good starter bass, and easily worth the money spent on them.

How long have you been playing for?

x

not very long. i play guitar mostly, but i play bass in a band if that makes any sense at all. basically i'm obligated to play bass but i don't really practice at home because i don't bring my amp home, and i tell myself that by practicing on guitar it will make me better at bass (even though i know that's not really true)
Quote by tona_107
not very long. i play guitar mostly, but i play bass in a band if that makes any sense at all. basically i'm obligated to play bass but i don't really practice at home because i don't bring my amp home, and i tell myself that by practicing on guitar it will make me better at bass (even though i know that's not really true)

Ahhh I see. Well if you are primarily a guitarist then it is not worth you buying a better bass at the moment. The one you have is good, you should stick with that.

Just keep in mind that the electric bass is a completely different instrument from the electric guitar. Although they might look similar they both derive from completely different instruments.

Without going to far back into the past a guitar used to look like this:

and a bass used to look like this:

Sorry if that wa patronising in any way

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134