Hey, I have a Randall RX120DHS (it's a solid state half stack) but I use an Electroharmonix Metal Muff (distortion pedal) for my distortion since the amp's stock distortion is crap. I've had the amp and pedal for months now and I still can't find a permanent EQ setting I like. I'm into old school death/thrash metal (Death, Megadeth, Metallica, Morbid Angel, Obituary, etc.). I'm having a lot of trouble adjusting the mids.

Scooped mids sound muffled, they don't cut through during band practice, and they generally sound like some generic pussy metalcore band. On the upside, it makes everything very chunky (especially my palm mutes) and although it's muffled, it sounds very clean. But none of the bands I like have scooped mids and everyone says don't scoop them.

Boosted mids sound very noisy. It sounds too full and mixed with high treble sounds very screechy. Although it gives my tone balls, the palm mutes don't sound near heavy enough like the scooped mids and sometimes it sounds like a bunch of racket.

Any suggestions on how to set up my EQ? Keep in mind I need to adjust the EQ on both my amp and my pedal. Thanks all!
Try flat on your amp and 12 o'clock bass, 3 o'clock mid and 12 o'clock treble with 12 to 3 o'clock gain.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Try, for chunky ballsy sound:
Gain 8
Bass 10
Treble 7
Mid 5
(Presence 7)

Or, for 'attack',:
Gain 7-8
Bass 8
Mid 6-6.5
Treble 8
(Presence 6-7)
Gear.

Ibanez Iceman IC400.

And Daron Malakians custom triangle pick.

Thats all you need to know.
Quote by Green_Jelly
Try flat on your amp and 12 o'clock bass, 3 o'clock mid and 12 o'clock treble with 12 to 3 o'clock gain.

My pedal has very harsh mids... I'll try it out though.
Quote by 666_Pounder
Mids up treble down. I used to use **** loads of treble then I saw the light.

How far down for the treble? 12 o'clock?
Quote by schecter ftw
It works great for Emo Music.

But anyways, I'd just trade the halfstack in and get a tube combo. The tone will be way better.

I know... I didn't know when I bought it. I just knew I wanted a half stack lol... I'm 16 and I bought it with my own money. I bought it new for $600... I REALLY don't want to lose money (like selling it for $400) because it's been a decent amp, though it could be better.
Quote by Psycho4SOAD
Try, for chunky ballsy sound:
Gain 8
Bass 10
Treble 7
Mid 5
(Presence 7)

Or, for 'attack',:
Gain 7-8
Bass 8
Mid 6-6.5
Treble 8
(Presence 6-7)

Ok thanks! I'll try it out. But remember I have to adjust EQ for both my amp and pedal. Leave EQ flat on amp and just adjust the pedal or adjust both of them like this?
Quote by Ghold125
yea, i keep my mids JUST below 12 o'clock

is that considered scooped or not really?
That amp should get you awesome enough distortion. It's made for metal.

Don't try to cut mids too much or have excess of bass as it'll completely make the bassist disappear. I usually have my settings around 11am bass, 2pm mids, 3pm treble, and 60% gain, and I get a sort of tone found on Opeth (with a Dual Rectifier). You'll find that sometimes full-blast gain isn't the best, and you might find it interesting by playing with a little more than crunch. Might not sound as good as scooped mids while playing alone, but in a band setting you'll cut through and it might sound quite amazing.

BTW I play death/thrash metal too and when I play with the other guitarist, both guitars shine and it also sounds like metal.
Quote by dimatrod
That amp should get you awesome enough distortion. It's made for metal.

Don't try to cut mids too much or have excess of bass as it'll completely make the bassist disappear. I usually have my settings around 11am bass, 2pm mids, 3pm treble, and 60% gain, and I get a sort of tone found on Opeth (with a Dual Rectifier). You'll find that sometimes full-blast gain isn't the best, and you might find it interesting by playing with a little more than crunch. Might not sound as good as scooped mids while playing alone, but in a band setting you'll cut through and it might sound quite amazing.

BTW I play death/thrash metal too and when I play with the other guitarist, both guitars shine and it also sounds like metal.

I can't stand my amp's stock distortion... It doesn't seem heavy enough for me. Even if it is okay it sounds better with a pedal imo (although my guitar teacher agrees with you)...