Looking to solo in a modern form of rock and metal. Examples: All That Remains and any modern bands that have solos that don't consist of that classic rock feel. Like nothing like ACDC type solo's, something with less blues feel to it I guess. I'm stuck in a rut, I can usually come up with some pretty sweet rock/metal riffs, but soloing/adding leads to it is really hard. Anything would help!

In addition, my step dad wants me to play blues like it's the only genre out there, and I try expressing I don't want to play blues except when I'm jamming with blues musicians, and he still doesn't like the 'crap' I play. I'm tired of watching these "how to play blues" and "how to solo to rock" videos where they teach you blues and rock n roll stuff. I'm interested in Alternative rock[Lost Prophets, SOTY] whereas they teach you Rolling Stones/Clapton stuff.
I got some good guitars, yo.
you shouldn't be "writing" solos.
learn some scales and figure out how to use them.
If you don't like bluesy sounding, then don't use the pentatonic scale.
Use the full diatonic major and minor scales.
Marty Friedman's Melodic Control is what you need. Google it.

He also goes over how to solo over a blues progression. Stick that to your stepdad!
Call me Batman.
Quote by that1l)ude
you shouldn't be "writing" solos.
learn some scales and figure out how to use them.
If you don't like bluesy sounding, then don't use the pentatonic scale.
Use the full diatonic major and minor scales.

Well yea, but thanks, for a moment in time I had completely forgotten the pentatonic was not the only scale out there. xD Sad but hey, I guess it's similar to writers block. Like Musicians block or something.
Quote by J.A.M

He also goes over how to solo over a blues progression. Stick that to your stepdad!

Sweet, thanks!
Melodic Phrasing by Scott Henderson.

Watch it.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Leat
I can usually come up with some pretty sweet rock/metal riffs, but soloing/adding leads to it is really hard.

100% same.
Quote by PapaSchumpf
it has to be good. jonas brothers play the bigger version of it

Member of Les Paul Liberators...Click here if you have a Les Paul
Rate my songs... Here
Quote by J.A.M

Haha that one thing he does sounds just like a Skynyrd solo.

Still yeah it looks really helpful.
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
You really don't need any kind of "special" training for most solos. As long as your technique is up to par, the rest of it is really all in you. You gotta realize that sometimes the music that comes most naturally, however, may not be the music you want to write.

Tutorials and videos can take you so far before you have to pick up the guitar and just play the darn thing!!!
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free