Ok, I get what a compression pedal does (sort of lol)... It balances everything so all your notes are the same volume. It just seems sort of useless to me though. Do most famous guitarist use compression pedals. Should I invest in one? Where does a compression pedal shine? What do you use it for? Thanks all! (oh btw, I play death/thrash metal like Death, Metallica, Megadeth, Celtic Frost, Morbid Angel, etc. if it matters)
I use one all the time. My favorite one is the black Maxon one with two knobs followed by the old Boss model with three knobs.

I don't play with much gain, so I use it to hit the front of my amp a little harder
Quote by kirkhammett09
Where does a compression pedal shine?

I believe it is used a lot in funk music.
Saint Louis Blues
Compressors pretty much just tighten up your sound. It's more noticable with cleaner signals, because distortion effects themselves compress the f*ck out of the guitar.

Martin Barre used to use a compressor as a solo boost.
Quote by SenorSmiley
I use one all the time. My favorite one is the black Maxon one with two knobs

That's the one I have Maxon CP101. I love it a lot; very transparent.

I use mine when I'm hybrid picking or finger picking.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Compressors don't get much use in death metal. They're more common in shred, hair metal, funk, and prog, were you're looking for a really tight, sort of processed kind of sound. They're used on a lot of clean tones, as well.

But yeah, if you don't think you need one then you definitely don't need one.
I don't use one much, mainly because I use an overdriven crunchy sorta blues tone. I used to use one quite a bit, but it brought out my drone notes more, and i didnae want that.

For some reason.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
i read some reviews at harmony central and people that used it with humbuckers really didnt get a good sound with it, kinda the reason im not going to get one but if u have a single coil guitar and if u can try one out at a local GC go for it, then that way u will know if u need one or not.
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Carlo-Robelli Acoustic (first guitar)
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1
Not to mention they're very useful for backing tracks. You don't want a sudden increase in volume because you hit the strings harder than last time.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah