Page 1 of 3
I am thinking about about building my own P bass out of ebay parts, i was wondering if you fellow UGers could give me their opinions on the parts i've chosen.

Here is the parts list so far:

Body: Fender Precision Bass Lake Pacid Blue

Neck: Mighty Mite P Bass neck

Bridge: Baddass II

Scratchplate: 3 ply B/W/B

Pickups:
Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound

Fender Jazz USA Pickups x2 (fashioned into a humbucker in the bridge)

It's going to end up looking very similar to the steve harris sig bass but this was completely unintentional

So what do you think? Any Ideas/Improvements?

xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
It looks like a pretty cool project, I say go for it!

By the way, I've always wondered what o jazz pickups strapped together to form a humbucker would sound like, could anyone fill me in on this please?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Looks like a very good idea to me. How much will these parts all cost you by the way?
Quote by denizenz
Cute in English is the same as grim and frostbitten in Nordic.

Gear:
Washburn T14 B
Laney RB-1
Quote by smb
You're basically going to have two bridge Js? Why not just get a MM style humbucker?

Well i like understanding how things work; and the best way to be able to do that is to make one myself. I also just like making things

x

EDIT: and it's just more fun my way too
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Last edited by shinhoman at Jul 21, 2008,
Two types of pickups? but anyway if you had a different colour scratch guard then it would look amazing IMO, black on blue wouldn't look very good I wouldn't have thought.
Quote by fleajr_1412
It looks like a pretty cool project, I say go for it!

By the way, I've always wondered what o jazz pickups strapped together to form a humbucker would sound like, could anyone fill me in on this please?

Well at the moment i have got a squier jazz pup and a fender one, but due to their different sizes it is gonna be hard to make a humbucker out of them. I guess i will just have to wait until i buy another fender pup before i can see.

Quote by aaciseric
Two types of pickups? but anyway if you had a different colour scratch guard then it would look amazing IMO, black on blue wouldn't look very good I wouldn't have thought.

Well the steve harris sig has a red scratchplate, but i dont want it to seem like i copied it. I might go for red sparkle colour instead?
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Ummm.

That won't work unfortunately. For it to be a humbucker (and actually work as a humbucker) one of the sets needs to be magnetically opposite to the other. Therefore, you'd need to tear one of those J pickups apart, revers the magnets, and stick it back together again.

Doing it like that will probably amplify the hum, and be a bit rubbish. I think.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
Ummm.

That won't work unfortunately. For it to be a humbucker (and actually work as a humbucker) one of the sets needs to be magnetically opposite to the other. Therefore, you'd need to tear one of those J pickups apart, revers the magnets, and stick it back together again.

Doing it like that will probably amplify the hum, and be a bit rubbish. I think.

Nah you just have to wire one of them in backwards. That would reverse the polarity.
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Yeah they need to be reverse wound and reverse polarity. Aren't a neck and bridge J set humbucking when both are maxed though?
Quote by CaptainJack666
tuners help

They do indeed. They tighten up the strings so you can play in tune \

Electronics would help also. Then i would be able to plug my bass into an amplifier.

x

EDIT:
Quote by smb
Yeah they need to be reverse wound and reverse polarity. Aren't a neck and bridge J set humbucking when both are maxed though?

Ahh good point. I wasn't aware that they need to be reverse wound as well as reverse polarity. Hmmm.....

And yes they are when they are both at the same volume, it doesnt have to be maxed out. The problem is is that the neck and bridge pickups are slightly different sizes...

Hmm i shall experiment on my crappy encore bass and find an answer....

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by shinhoman

Well the steve harris sig has a red scratchplate, but i dont want it to seem like i copied it. I might go for red sparkle colour instead?

You could use a white sparkly one. Or a red sparkle might look nice too.
Quote by aaciseric
You could use a white sparkly one. Or a red sparkle might look nice too.

Hmm i like the red sparkle idea.

Oh i forgot to say i am going to spray the headstock lake placd blue too before i put a fender decal on.

Mmmm

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
if ur doing all this yourself, why put a Fender decal on it?

i would want ppl to know it was my cusom job that i made, and put something personal up there.
Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies
if ur doing all this yourself, why put a Fender decal on it?

i would want ppl to know it was my cusom job that i made, and put something personal up there.

I have tried thinking of something but my mind has failed to impress me (And to be honest i love 70's fender decals, i would rather have one of them on it anyways )

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Screw putting a Fender decal... paint the headstock to match the body and sign your signature on the headstock before you spray on some lacquer. Tis what I'm gonna do with my fretless jazz job.

I'm probably going to inlay my custom jobs.

Cos I'm cool like that
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

fender decal?? IMO fender logo(like in H1 series) looks great but i personally wouldt put their name in a instrument i build, i would put something better than fender, like my name or something
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by Nutter_101
I'm probably going to inlay my custom jobs.

Cos I'm cool like that

I'd just snap the inlays like no tomorrow cos I be clumsy like that.

And hopefully I'll be refinishing the body sometime over the next week and a half I just need the sporadic rain to stop happening so I can do it outside.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'd just snap the inlays like no tomorrow cos I be clumsy like that.

And hopefully I'll be refinishing the body sometime over the next week and a half I just need the sporadic rain to stop happening so I can do it outside.

You spraying and praying?

Or doing it natural?
That stuff is a bitch to breathe in.

I'm probably not going to do inlays in my first one, but if I do another one, then inlays will be on my list.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by smb

Aren't the bridge and neck pickups different sizes (i.e. yes, I'm almost positive)?

And also, do you really want those Jazz pickups side by side? They'd be about a quarter inch apart, considering the screws on the top of the bridge pickup and bottom of the neck.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I have myself matt black, and silver flake and lacquer. I know that stuff is a bitch to breath in, hence I'm going outside and wearing a mask. I just hope I don't f*ck up my first burst finish. Flat colour is easy as piss.

SILVERBURST FRETLESS?

Holy god that will be sexy. What pickups you putting in it?
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
SILVERBURST FRETLESS?

Holy god that will be sexy. What pickups you putting in it?

I'm looking at Fender noiseless, but any other possibilities are open. When I get my loan through I'm gonna order up a fretless neck from Warmoth and spray a matching headstock too. I'm not sure whether to get a black or black pearloid pickguard though.
Quote by Nutter_101
Ummm.

think jazz bass, the 2 pickups on full volume are a parallel wired humbucker

all he needs to do is wire the ground from one to the hot from the other and then wire as normal

i am really interested in how this will sound though

ben why don't you just sand down the gold off your original fretless neck and work with that?

i demand pics and regular updates of it
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Last edited by skater dan0 at Jul 21, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm looking at Fender noiseless, but any other possibilities are open. When I get my loan through I'm gonna order up a fretless neck from Warmoth and spray a matching headstock too. I'm not sure whether to get a black or black pearloid pickguard though.

Sweet. Black Perloid, definately. Fancy trying out some Jazz pickups if I make some?

I'd like to see what kinda sound a fretless imparts on my design.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

chris i'm always open to testing your pickups, my squier is just waiting for something to breathe new life into it since i made my other jazz bass (which i had to replace the neck on today btw)
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by thefitz
Aren't the bridge and neck pickups different sizes (i.e. yes, I'm almost positive)?

And also, do you really want those Jazz pickups side by side? They'd be about a quarter inch apart, considering the screws on the top of the bridge pickup and bottom of the neck.

Yeah they are different sizes, you are right. I was intending on using two bridge pickups but i am not sure if this is possible now?

And i realised about the gap that would be caused by the screws. I am planning filing down the screw holders till the pickups sit flush against each other, and then fixing them together somehow (maybe put them both onto a plate? or just glue them together?)

x

EDIT:
Quote by skater dan0

i am really interested in how this will sound though

I'll digup this thread in (probably) many months time and show what the finished product looks like. I'll record some sound clips of the 'jazz humbucker' solo's aswell if you want?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by Deliriumbassist
No problem, Chris. Go for it. I'll throw you feedback on them.

Sweet. Give me a shout when you've got a neck and stuff and it's waiting for new pickups.

Quote by skater dan0
chris i'm always open to testing your pickups, my squier is just waiting for something to breathe new life into it since i made my other jazz bass (which i had to replace the neck on today btw)

Hmmm. I'll make a set of Jazz pups after my humbuckers then.

Cheers guys.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by thefitz
Yeah, obviously. It was more me thinking aloud than making a sensible suggestion

If it were me I'd wire it like an HS stingray with a 5 way switch (mostly because that's one of the things I love most about my ATK)
Quote by smb
Yeah, obviously. It was more me thinking aloud than making a sensible suggestion

If it were me I'd wire it like an HS stingray with a 5 way switch (mostly because that's one of the things I love most about my ATK)

Ahh that's a great idea. What would be the selections though? Im gonna guess as:

Pos. 1: Solo neck pickup
Pos. 2:All pickups on full
Pos. 3:Neck pup + 1 bridge pup
Pos. 4:Both jazz pups on
Pos. 5:Coil tap 1 jazz pup

Am i close or miles away?

haha

x

EDIT:

aha! i have found a wiring diagram for the HS stingray.

that was a great idea smb. i think i might just do it this way.
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Hey, sorry for the double post but i have another question to ask about this bass and i thought this would be better than making a new thread.

I have found a body for my project, I actually think it is one from a steve harris signiture.
The problem is is that it is made out of basswood!

Has anyone played a steve harris sig and if so could you comment whether the different wood to standard ash or alder is noticable?

thanks

xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by shinhoman
Hey, sorry for the double post but i have another question to ask about this bass and i thought this would be better than making a new thread.

I have found a body for my project, I actually think it is one from a steve harris signiture.
The problem is is that it is made out of basswood!

Has anyone played a steve harris sig and if so could you comment whether the different wood to standard ash or alder is noticable?

thanks

xx

if harris uses it do u think its good or bad??
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by Vampire 255
if harris uses it do u think its good or bad??

Ahh well he plays a vintage precision bass, he doesn't actually play his own sig.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
theres nothing wrong with basswood, it's quite a even sounding wood that lends itself well to the tonally versatile basses better than the 1 distinct tone basses

basswood has a bad rep because it's used on cheap guitars where the build quality is the problem not the wood. ebmm bongos are made of basswood and they are some of most versatile basses in existance
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Quote by Deliriumbassist

You could PM jscustomguitars about a neck and save some money on import and shipping fees. Also the builds he posts here build seem to be on par or better than Warmoth quality.

TS: why not just get a humbucker for the bridge?
Quote by shinhoman
Ahh well he plays a vintage precision bass, he doesn't actually play his own sig.

x

ok let me re-phrase

if its used on the harris sig do u think its good or bad?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by skater dan0
theres nothing wrong with basswood, it's quite a even sounding wood that lends itself well to the tonally versatile basses better than the 1 distinct tone basses

basswood has a bad rep because it's used on cheap guitars where the build quality is the problem not the wood. ebmm bongos are made of basswood and they are some of most versatile basses in existance

listen to this guy, he seems to know his ****

i can almost guarantee you won't hear the difference between alder and basswood, it's not that they are so similar just that to the average ear the difference is negligable
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Page 1 of 3