I'm putting all new electronics into my Epiphone SG 400. My tech charged way too much for it so i figured I'd do it myself. Is this something that someone with a some board soldering experience could do?
I was thinking about installing a coil tap, or split, I don't know the difference. There's one Duncan installed in the bridge. Is it possible to install one?

Would this Pot work for the coil tap/split?.

Should I also replace my caps? I don't even know what they do.
Is there a good site for some schematics someone could suggest to me?
Thanks for the help.
Last edited by TheEak at Jul 21, 2008,
Yes it will work - a coil tap is a pickup that is switchable between 2 different resistance values, a coil split, which is what you are talking about is using half of a humbucker to get a pseudo single coil sound.

You'd probably be better off doing a series/parallel mod or something like that - coil splits don't sound too good in my opinion

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h2v2t3w2sp
So I just need 2 push/pulls and to wire it like the diagram for the parallel/series mod?
Quote by TheEak
So I just need 2 push/pulls and to wire it like the diagram for the parallel/series mod?

yes.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by TheEak

Depends on what your other pickup is - you have one SD according to your first post - if the other one is a stock pup, it'll be a) crap and b) single conductor +ground, so you won't be able to wire it up like that.
Quote by mark_wuk
Depends on what your other pickup is - you have one SD according to your first post - if the other one is a stock pup, it'll be a) crap and b) single conductor +ground, so you won't be able to wire it up like that.

Yeah the other is a stock but I was thinking about getting a GFS pickup for the neck. I'm on a budget and I've heard good things about them. Would that work?