I have an Epiphone Les Paul Special that I got for Christmas and right out of the box the top pickups fell in. My dad and I fixed it, but it's just continually done it and I don't know how to fix it. It gives the guitar a horrid tone with distortion, no matter what my amp and pedal settings are. My guitar teacher doesn't know much about hardware, so he can't help me.

Pics (sorry for them being so large.)

You're not brutal.

(click the smiley!)

that screw on the right (next to your pointer finger in the 2nd pic) should be what adusts the height of, and holds the pickup in place.
it could be stripped? take a look at it, replace it..or maybe just tighten it
That's what I had been thinking, but when I pulled it out it wasn't stripped. It will only go down so far before it falls and the same for going so high.
You're not brutal.

(click the smiley!)

should have sent it back the day you got it...
Fender Stratocaster Mexican
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Peavy 112 Valve King 50 Watt Tube Amp

Boss Giga Delay DD20
Boss Overdrive DS20
Boss Compression Sustainer CS-3
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Boss Chorus CS-1
Boss Pedal Board BCB-60
Quote by Fletcher092
should have sent it back the day you got it...

Well, my parents had already had if for around 6-7 months and they weren't willing to send it back.
You're not brutal.

(click the smiley!)

To do a proper fix on that, you're going to need to take off all the strings, so maybe buy a new pack before you start.
The pickguard will need to come off. Be sure to only remove those screws that are holding the pickguard onto the body of the guitar. Don't remove any of the screws for the pickup adjusting rings or the two to either side of each pickup.
Once you have the pickguard/pickup assembly off, have a look around underneath. I'm hoping you find a spring laying in there. It'll look a bit like a spring from a bic pen. It might not be straight either. No problem. Just so long as you have it.
Now, on the pickup itself, there's a tab sticking out on either side. Have a look at the bridge pickup to see what I mean. The long adjusting screw goes through from the outside of the guitar, spring in between the bottomside of the pickguard and tab of the pickup, screw through the spring, and threaded into the tab. If the tab's threads are shot, use a vice grip to smash the hole flat a little more. This will give the screw a little more bite on it and keep it from stripping out more. All in all, it's an easy fix, just tedius because of all the little screws holding the pickguard in place.
Once you get it all together and restrung, adjust the height of the pickup so that it's a little closer to the high E string than it is to the low E, and not so high that you can hear the pick hitting the strings when you play it.
Last edited by LeftyDave at Jul 22, 2008,
Look at the screw on the right, no spring.

EDIT: In the first pic, the spring is lying next to the screw.
Last edited by PanHead at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by LeftyDave
To do a proper fix on that, you're going to need to take off all the strings, so maybe buy a new pack before you start.
The pickguard will need to come off. Be sure to only remove those screws that are holding the pickguard onto the body of the guitar. Don't remove any of the screws for the pickup adjusting rings or the two to either side of each pickup.
Once you have the pickguard/pickup assembly off, have a look around underneath. I'm hoping you find a spring laying in there. It'll look a bit like a spring from a bic pen. It might not be straight either. No problem. Just so long as you have it.
Now, on the pickup itself, there's a tab sticking out on either side. Have a look at the bridge pickup to see what I mean. The long adjusting screw goes through from the outside of the guitar, spring in between the bottomside of the pickguard and tab of the pickup, screw through the spring, and threaded into the tab. If the tab's threads are shot, use a vice grip to smash the hole flat a little more. This will give the screw a little more bite on it and keep it from stripping out more. All in all, it's an easy fix, just tedius because of all the little screws holding the pickguard in place.
Once you get it all together and restrung, adjust the height of the pickup so that it's a little closer to the high E string than it is to the low E, and not so high that you can hear the pick hitting the strings when you play it.

Thank you very much!

Quote by DCH-guitar noob
lol, dude get a new guitar????

I don't have the money for that.

Quote by PanHead
Look at the screw on the right, no spring.

EDIT: In the first pic, the spring is lying next to the screw.

I know. ><
You're not brutal.

(click the smiley!)