Page 1 of 2
Because 'The Rack' is such a great slice of atmospheric Death Metal, and I wanna see if we have any other Ass-fans in here.
slaughtercuuuuuuult.....!
The Rack and Last one on earth are great!, Van Drunen's voice is heavy as hell.the new stuff should be killer.
The Rack is essential, I had it on tape second hand until it got caught in the player and ripped apart..... I shall buy it on cd once I get some moolah. Van Drunen is one of my all-time favourite vocalists.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
The Rack and God Cries for the win
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Great band and criminally underrated , i love the s/t.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

my mate showed me an album of theirs, though I can't remember what it was now. Good **** though

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
sad that this gets so little posts. picked this album up a while ago, very kick ass - like a better obituary (who i was never fond of).
SHAOLIN DEATH SQUAD
Quote by themetaler
sad that this gets so little posts. picked this album up a while ago, very kick ass - like a better obituary (who i was never fond of).

I wouldnt go that far, 'Cause of Death' and 'Slowly we Rot' are the best.
I'd take Asphyx over Obituary any day. Obituary have some good tunes but Asphyx is way more interesting all around imo. Also, didn't one of the Asphyx guys go on to Hail Of Bullets ?
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by Riffmast
I'd take Asphyx over Obituary any day. Obituary have some good tunes but Asphyx is way more interesting all around imo. Also, didn't one of the Asphyx guys go on to Hail Of Bullets ?

Martin Van Drunen. Obviously he was also on the best Pestilence album too ('Consuming Impulse').
The rack is over in the clearance section of cmdistro.... $3.50, go go go!
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
cool thread
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by Stranglehold
The rack is over in the clearance section of cmdistro.... $3.50, go go go!

New album out soon:

Ibex Moon Records Licenses New Asphyx Album for U.S. Release

Ibex Moon Records is pleased to announce the licensing of Asphyx’s Death…The Brutal Way from Century Media Records for distribution in the United States. The album will be released in the U.S. on Ibex Moon on August 18, 2009. The legendary Dutch death metal act reunited in 2007, playing several shows, releasing a 7” EP in 2008, recording Death…The Brutal Way, and headlining this year’s Maryland Death Fest. It is the first full-length Asphyx album to feature the sickening growls of Martin van Drunen since 1992’s The Last One on Earth.
Martin Van Drunen and bassist/vocalist Wannes Gubbels issued this joint statement about the U.S. distribution deal:

“We as Asphyx are very pleased we’ve found such a dedicated label in Ibex Moon is to distribute our latest release in the USA. From personal experiences in the past we know John McEntee is sworn to the cause of death metal the brutal way and thus will do all in his power to make this release and the band as successful as possible. A release like Death…The Brutal Way is meant to be brought out by a label that we are absolutely certain will put heart, soul, blood, bones, and core behind the matter. Under the Ibex Moon we march!”

The first 1,000 copies of Death…The Brutal Way will be released as a limited-edition with additional slipcase packaging and a bonus DVD featuring the band's entire, unforgettable reunion show from 2007’s Party.San Festival in Bad Berka, Germany.

Live at Party.San Open Air Festival 2007 bonus DVD track listing:

01. Vermin
02. M.S. Bismarck
03. Serenade In Lead
04. The Sickening Dwell
05. Food For The Ignorant
06. The Krusher
07. Wasteland Of Terror
08. Asphyx (Forgotten War)
09. Pages In Blood
10. The Rack
11. Last One On Earth

ASPHYX - "Death…The Brutal Way" CD/DVD Slipsleeve Pre-order (2009) Pre-order now! U.S. Release date is: 8/18/2009. Order now and your order will be shipped on or before 7/16/2009. A 666% merciless old-school Death Metal attack. Asphyx are back with their first studio effort since 2000. Features returning vocalist Martin Van Drunen (Pestilence, Bolt Thrower). Mixed by Dan Swanö (Edge Of Sanity, Bloodbath). This Limited edition includes a bonus DVD of the fantastic reunion-show at Party-San festival '07.

With Death…The Brutal Way Asphyx has returned to lay waste to modern conceptions of brutality. This is what death metal is supposed to sound like. Press inquiries for the U.S. release should be directed to Clawhammerpr@gmail.com.

http://www.myspace.com/officialasphyx
http://www.myspace.com/ibexmoonrecords
http://www.ibexmoonrecords.com/
The release gig for that album:

Asphyx
Desaster
Necros Christos

Bastards!!!
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
martin van drunen is one of the best death metal vocalists. ever.
illustration student - happy to do any band artwork/logos
some of my work can be seen at:

theGentleSquid

is "Death...The Brutal Way" worth checking out at all?
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Only heard Last One on Earth because I thought it was the only notable album (and it is fucking manic). Is The Rack really that good?
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by ctfod
Only heard Last One on Earth because I thought it was the only notable album (and it is fucking manic). Is The Rack really that good?

The Rack is pretty cookie-cutter if you ask me, pretty generic although it has its moments.
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
Quote by sg_man08
The Rack is pretty cookie-cutter if you ask me, pretty generic although it has its moments.

Yeah, I was never that big of a fan of Asphyx. I can understand why people like them, though. They're also the best band Martin van Drunen was ever in.
Quote by NotFromANUS
Yeah, I was never that big of a fan of Asphyx. I can understand why people like them, though. They're also the best band Martin van Drunen was ever in.

Better than Consuming-era Pestilence? Martin gave the best vocal performance of his career on that record.
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
Quote by Kepulix
The Rack and God Cries for the win

Aw man...really??

Been listening to loads of 'Embrace The Death' recently. Theo sounds unholy on the album.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Stranglehold
Aw man...really??

Been listening to loads of 'Embrace The Death' recently. Theo sounds unholy on the album.

The 'Mutilating Process' 7" also rules big time, lots of dark atmosphere. I'm suprised Asphyx wasn't able to keep that same atmosphere for their other albums.
Quote by severed-metal

last.fm
Quote by sg_man08
Better than Consuming-era Pestilence?

Yes.

Martin gave the best vocal performance of his career on that record.

Even if that's true, which is debatable, Asphyx is the better band.
Quote by NotFromANUS

Even if that's true, which is debatable, Asphyx is the better band.

Go on...
Quote by severed-metal

last.fm
Quote by sg_man08
Go on...

Where would you like me to go? That was the end of my thought process.
Quote by NotFromANUS
Where would you like me to go? That was the end of my thought process.

I'm wondering what is it that makes Asphyx the better band? Is it because they only released mediocre albums in their later years instead of creating epic failures such as Ressurection Macabre? Or do you consider them better when they were in their prime?
Quote by severed-metal

last.fm
Quote by sg_man08
I'm wondering what is it that makes Asphyx the better band? Is it because they only released mediocre albums in their later years instead of creating epic failures such as Ressurection Macabre? Or do you consider them better when they were in their prime?

Well, I think Pestilence went way downhill with Testimony, with Sphere being just terrible. Asphyx, while always fairly generic, at least maintained a constant atmosphere of doom throughout their releases. Consuming Impulse never seemed more than an extension of thrash into death metal territory. The dry production didn't help it either. It never had the 'terrifying' aspect to it that death metal is supposed to have.
^Consuming Impulse lacked the terrifying aspect? I am not sure what album you're listening to. It was full of those moments. Maybe not the entire basis of the album, but I think that's part of its charm, otherwise they risk being 'cookie-cutter'. Pestilence has never claimed to be typical death metal and in fact, they tried to stray from the label, hence the writing of Testimony of the Ancients. Not sure what the hell they think they're doing now. Mameli has turned into a whiny douchebag.

I've always loved Asphyx. It's just straightforward death metal with lots of doom influence. Van Drunen is a monster and puts on a hell of a performance in everything he participates in. He's also quite humble when you talk to him.

Edit: For the record I don't think either band is better than the other, I think they have both had their share of shitty albums.
Last edited by Inimical at Apr 14, 2011,
so are any of the full-lengths besides Last One On Earth and The Rack worth checking out? I downloaded Death...The Brutal Way and Embrace The Death as well. Listening to Death...The Brutal Way right now, it seems decent but a bit uninteresting

Sumdeus
Embrace the death is class, definitely go with that one next. Also, Soulburn - Feeding On Angels is deadly, its basically Asphyx under a different name.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Inimical
^Consuming Impulse lacked the terrifying aspect? I am not sure what album you're listening to. It was full of those moments. Maybe not the entire basis of the album, but I think that's part of its charm

The whole album is energy driven, but I don't fine anything about it 'horrifying,' the way most great Death Metal albums are (e.g. Severed Survival, Nespithe, Blessed are the Sick, Legion).
Quote by Stranglehold
Embrace the death is class, definitely go with that one next. Also, Soulburn - Feeding On Angels is deadly, its basically Asphyx under a different name.

yeah I can tell, listening to it now and shit is crushing.

Sumdeus
Seeing as this thread has just as much talk of the wonderous Van Drunen as it has about Asphyx, might just ask here:

Did Van Drunen record anything during his time with Bolt Thrower?
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Quote by Stranglehold
Aw man...really??

It was 3 years ago, I guess I said that only because those two were the only ones I had from Asphyx

Haven't listened to the whole band in years
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by Senor Kristian
Seeing as this thread has just as much talk of the wonderous Van Drunen as it has about Asphyx, might just ask here:

I don't think he has. As far as I'm aware, Mr Willetts was always back just in time to record vocals on Bolt Thrower albums.

... anyway. Will listen to The Rack later today, and also Last One on Earth. Cannae miss van Drunen in his prime.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Quote by Senor Kristian

According to an interview with Martin, Baz has some soundboard tapes with him on vocals. I'd very much like to hear them.
Quote by severed-metal

last.fm
Page 1 of 2