I need a new reverb tray for my Valveking 112. The one that's in it now is really snappy and painful on the high frequencies. 12k and up is just razor sharp and louder than the standard signal. Was wondering 3 things

Can I replace it with a fender twin twin reverb tray... Will it cause any problems if I do?

Can I possibly mod the tray myself to alter the tone it, if so, how?

Are there other brands of replacement trays that I might be able to use?

I enjoy bottomless sounding open carnegie hall/St. Peters type reverb. If anyone has heard the digitech rp 150, 250, 350 and 500 pedals reverb models, I like the spring model on that. Even better, check out the band Vietnam, there is a spring reverb I love in the track "Welcome to my Room", it's what I want.....

The band's page is below, just download the track on the right side of the screen.

http://www.kemado.com/artists.php?req=show&artist=13
Get a pedal, the circuitry of the amp decides how the reverb sounds, the pan does very little.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
and the winner of the "thanks for teaching me something new today" award goes to...
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Hey 4949oz - I just PM'd you.

First - sorry for my VK comment in other thread 'going to college or whatever'. I have a VK and it can do punk and blues so my comment probably didn't come across real well. I myself sometimes recommend the VK too quickly so I'm trying to be more balanced. Plus, the Classic 30 really is a better amp if he can go used.

Now, to your problem. I honestly don't know. It was my 'assumption' that a reverb tank that uses RCA jacks for the send/receive were somewhat standard and it *might* work. Hopefully, someone already knows the answer so bump for ya.

Oh, and my other assumption is that tube based reverb tanks would use different connections but here is where I really fall down. Oh, and I don't think I would try to mod a tank but again I'm not a amp tech. I just picture springs flying everywhere and I'm not sure what you would do to it.

Well, for more details, it is a spring based RCA connected tray in the base of the cabinet. Now I'm curious as to if there's anything I can do alter the Connections to the tray if it's related to the voltage. Is there any chance of jury rigging a pedal EQ in between the input and the tray? or possibly any way to mod this thing? I just need some way to change it's tone, cause I love spring reverb, just not this type, anything any reccomendations will help.

And hey, there's no problems with recommending a good amp, And honestly the valveking sounds like **** compared to what it could. The circuitry is great, but apparently the tubes in it are crappy chinese no brand name something. Probably get lead poisoning from touching them. I'll report back tomorrow what they actually are, I'm not 100% sure, but I'm considering replacing them with some Groove tubes or EHX. I recommend it to anyone I can, depending on whether or not it suits their needs.
Sorry, Forgot to add, Thank you so much for the information and I wasn't attacking you or your statement, just contesting cause I like to defend my baby..... lol

ps - i'm not a reverb expert. RCA is pretty standard so i doubt you would hurt anything if you tried a different tank.

speakers - is dif topic....go to Only Valveking Thread if you have not already...or user group.

for more info that is.....later dude
Quote by Kevin Saale
Get a pedal, the circuitry of the amp decides how the reverb sounds, the pan does very little.

Not knowing the details, the pan in the VK could possibly be total crap. Replacing it with the largest pan from Accutronics that'll fit might make a positive, noticable difference. It's highly unlikely that the Twin Reverb pan would fit in the VK 112. I think one of the reasons that Fender makes it's Deluxe Reverb so large is to handle a larger pan.

Kevin's right about the circuitry, too. Fender and Ampeg are a couple companies that really care about reverb, and build their amps accordingly. The reverb in the Peavey Classic series is nothing to write home about, so I'd expect less from the VK.

So in the end - it's worth a try, but you may be better off with an EHX Holy Grail or something.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
when i had a vk i tried the reverb tank from my daughters bandit 112. it's close to twice the size of the vk tank. it did not make a noticeable change at all. i think a pedal is the way to go.
Last edited by mmjohn at Jul 22, 2008,
^ Hmmm... it's not like the Bandit's gonna have a high quality reverb pan, either.

A pedal may very well be the way to go, but if the TS truly loves spring reverb, an Accutronics pan might be worth a shot. Worst case scenario, he could take it back out of the amp and plug it into his next one.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
^ Hmmm... it's not like the Bandit's gonna have a high quality reverb pan, either.

A pedal may very well be the way to go, but if the TS truly loves spring reverb, an Accutronics pan might be worth a shot. Worst case scenario, he could take it back out of the amp and plug it into his next one.

the verb on the bandit is head and shoulders above the vk. my point was that larger tank and springs made no difference on the VK. not that the bandit has a great reverb.
Would putting a hand made circuit right before the send alter it any? I'm talking a potentiometer or as i said before, jury rig a stombox EQ into it? I highly doubt that would work but it's worth asking....