Well as you all know, I had my heart set on buying a metal-esque rig. Well today I found a deal, that wasnt quite what I wanted, but I just couldnt pass it up. I got an Epiphone Vintage G-400 for $100. The guy even showed me the receipt where he bought it about 2 months ago. Its in great shape and everything.

Now, Im going to jsut make up a nice bluesy/classic rock rig. So I was thinking about buying some stuff and yall can tell me how yall think of it in regards to what I want.

So I was going to replace the pickups. Get a GFS Fat Paf pickup for the bridge, and a GFS Vintage '59 for the neck. Just to give it a nice bluesy tone, and a great classic rock sound.

Then for an amp, a VJ half stack and then mod it with some of the Marshall mods.

And really the only pedals would be a modded Crybaby.

Would that make up a decent blues rig?
Toss in a nice OD and that would be great. You wouldn't really have enough power to gig though.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Well Im not really looking for a gigging rig. Just something to tool around with in my bedroom. But my last VJ that I had, I modded it pretty substantially, and with the pentode/triode mod on it and it cut down to 2.5 watts I could get some really great OD out of it. Well that and the gain switch. lol
why not see if the stock pups are ok with the new amp?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Well they are Alnico V pups, and the guy said they were pretty nice, but I have heard bad things about some of the stock Epi pups.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Well they are Alnico V pups, and the guy said they were pretty nice, but I have heard bad things about some of the stock Epi pups.

In my opinion Epiphone pickups aren't great but just see if you like them.
Try the stock pick ups but would add reverb and OD. When I think blues, I think single coils and fender amps, but what do you want from a SRV fan?
Well I like that SRV style blues. But I was kinda thinking it would sound a bit like a 90's Eric Clapton style blues.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Well I like that SRV style blues. But I was kinda thinking it would sound a bit like a 90's Eric Clapton style blues.

Again, single coils. Don't get me wrong, you can nail great blues tones with the SG, just not those particular ones as well as singles. (SRV - Clapton) When I play Riviera Paradise with my (Ibby) LP copy it sounds great. Fuller and richer in a lot of ways. It's all preference, but reverb and OD are a must for blues. (And your from Texas, at least pick up a cheap Strat copy and start modding, would be a great compliment to the SG in your arsenal!)
Quote by LuthierofTexas

Ehhh. Marshall + OD + Epiphone =/= SRV and clapton.

If you were really set on that blues tone, fender or peavy are the amps you should be looking at. Look at a Blues Junior or a peavey Classic 30. Both great amps.

If you want SRV and Clapton blues stuff, you're going to need alittle more money in your rig. Not to mention a single coil guitar, preferably a strat.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
But Clapton used to play blues on SG's back in the 60's. Thats what he used with Derrick and The Dominoes I think. Not to mention Iommi used to play blues on his SG's. I mean, there are lots of great players that use SG's for blues.

But Im kinda stuck on the VJ, just because I know how to mod those things by heart, and I can cut the wattage down to more acceptable levels and still get good tube tone.

EDIT: I just realised that I put a 90's Clapton tone. I meant 60's, sorry.