Hey guys,

I've had a Mark IV combo (celestion 90 speaker) for about 3 months now. I've been able to get a sweet clean tone, yet my lead tone keeps coming up short. I've tweaked almost every possible combination, looked at tons of settings online, done all I could possibly do, yet I am unable to nail a tight solid lead tone. It's way too flabby and muddy. Any solutions would be appreciated. The guitar I use is an ESP Eclipse, with Dimarzio d-sonic pickups if that helps.

Thanks.
That's interesting, it was the other way around for me. I could find a great lead tone, but nothing short of "ok" for a clean tone.

Here's what my lead settings were:

Gain: 8/Pulled
Highs: 6.5
Bass: 4
Mids: 5
Drive: 8
Presence: 6
Triode
Simul-Class
Harmonics

Graphic EQ engaged, set as a V.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Put an OD pedal in front, it'll hit the front end of the amp and tighten it up. John Petrucci uses a Zach Wylde OD or a Keeley modded tubescreamer. Those are some suggestions.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
Put an OD pedal in front, it'll hit the front end of the amp and tighten it up. John Petrucci uses a Zach Wylde OD or a Keeley modded tubescreamer. Those are some suggestions.

Are you sure about that?

I highly doubt he'd use outside distortion for sucha beautiful sounding amp, where did you read this?
I have an OD and honestly though that the Mark IV didn't benefit much from it. It tightened it up slightly, but without it the amp's lead channel was still great and didn't need an OD.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by woodsballplayer
Are you sure about that?

I highly doubt he'd use outside distortion for sucha beautiful sounding amp, where did you read this?

Why, that would be his website and every gear video he's ever made. It's a fair technique on whatever amplifier you're using.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Right, I forgot to mention that I do use an OD pedal. But Like MatrixClaw said, it makes very little difference. And to MatrixClaw, I tried your settings, yet it all comes to no avail. It still sounds muddy and fuzzy. How big of a difference do you guys think the speakers make to the sound? The Mark IV Combo that I own is an open-back cabinet.
Quote by gwitersnamps
Why, that would be his website and every gear video he's ever made. It's a fair technique on whatever amplifier you're using.

+1

JP does use a Zakk Wylde overdrive and Keeley moded TS-9

TS: The only advice that I can give you is give your amp to me!?
what is your volume?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by blaghostbla
Right, I forgot to mention that I do use an OD pedal. But Like MatrixClaw said, it makes very little difference. And to MatrixClaw, I tried your settings, yet it all comes to no avail. It still sounds muddy and fuzzy. How big of a difference do you guys think the speakers make to the sound? The Mark IV Combo that I own is an open-back cabinet.

i liked the combo's lead tones better than through v30's, thought they were smoother.

along with a decent amount of gain and drive, try keeping the treble high for more sustain, tightness, bite, and crispness. mine's usually from 6.5 - 8. the mid control has kinda a subtle effect, and if the treble is high enough, there shouldn't be much flabbyness with the bass control. if you find it too spikey/hairy, tame it down with the presence control.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by gwitersnamps

He's also got a Bos DS-1 modded by Keeley that he'll use, but i'm 90% sure those pedals are used just as a solo boost. In the interview he gave in Guitar Player last year, he gave no indication of using something in front of the amp to boost it's gain, considering he said it already had a ton on tap.

TS, turn it UP. Like most Mesas, they need to be turned up really loud for everything to sound thick, and that's where they sound the best at. I didn't notice if you mentioned anything about how loud you had it in the OP, but turning it up may help. If you can't crank it that loud (due to living/practice spaces), invest in an attentuator so you get the power amp tubes cooking without having the insane volume.

EDIT: Wait, your combo is OPEN BACK? That'll be why it sounds muddy. Open back cabs are great for cleans, and some overdriven tones where low end punch isn't exactly a priority, but if you really want a tight and focused sound, a closed back cab will do the trick. Try adding a full cover to the back of your cab, or invest in a Mesa Rectifier cab. As a compromise, you cleans may not be as airy and open as they are now, but with some EQing, you can compensate. Buying a back for your combo will probably be the most effective and cost efficient means of fine-tuning your tone without buying tons of pedals or other things.
Last edited by RG_FANMAN at Jul 21, 2008,
when's the last time you changed the preamp tubes, I actually got my first Mark IV because the guy didn't think it had enough gain, lol. It had the original pres when I opened it up, and it sounded like a wet fart. The combos also put more of a beating on tubes because of the heat and vibrations.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by MatrixClaw
That's interesting, it was the other way around for me. I could find a great lead tone, but nothing short of "ok" for a clean tone.

Here's what my lead settings were:

Gain: 8/Pulled
Highs: 6.5
Bass: 4
Mids: 5
Drive: 8
Presence: 6
Triode
Simul-Class
Harmonics

Graphic EQ engaged, set as a V.

i use almost the same thing.