Guys, what's best in terms of tone, value, flexibility, range, parameters, ease of use when under pressure on stage..... Stomp boxes (Boss OD-2, CE, CS-2/3, DD-20) or a multi-effects box, such as the Boss ME-20/50, GT-6, Vox ToneLab, Korg AX3000G???

Does it depend on the type of amp being used, tube or solid-state??
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
Tone-wise good single pedals will beat multieffects anyday plus you usualy have more parameters to choose on a single stomp box and some are really good value. Another plus is you don't have to worry about accidenataly going to the wrong preset (if you set your multieffects 5 minutes before the show and then don't have enough time to look [happened to a guitarist in my school he went to preset no.80 because he accidentaly left his foot on the switch too long]) since you control what's on and off by yourself.

Also i've found that stomp boxes generally work better with tubes since a lot of stomp boxes are analog ,and therefore don't try to emulate any sound, which tubes like.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Standalone boxes are usually much better than a multi-fx, especially if you wanna experiment and combine fx, whihc some multis dont let you do. And most of the time, if a pedal has a signature sound, like a Phase 90, you cant get that sound thru a multis Phaser setting a large percent of the time.
Meh, I love the standard stomp box tone, but petrucci uses rackmount. He has the best tone ever. I've been looking at guitar rig 3, yes it's emulated. I've tried it, it is emulated well. Sounds good on solid state almost makes it sound like a tube. I'd reccomend it, I'm picking one up soon. If not, go rackmount or stomp box.
Quote by SDZAKKMF
Meh, I love the standard stomp box tone, but petrucci uses rackmount. He has the best tone ever. I've been looking at guitar rig 3, yes it's emulated. I've tried it, it is emulated well. Sounds good on solid state almost makes it sound like a tube. I'd reccomend it, I'm picking one up soon. If not, go rackmount or stomp box.

Yes but Petruccis rackmount will be very expensive.... Really expensive rack mounts will get you the sound needed because the companies have truly put a lot of work into them.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah