We just got this new computer from my dad's office, and apparently it has 2 gigs of ram and 2 Pentium 4 3.2GHZ processors. We're gonna double check on the processors, but if it's true that's pretty brutal. Anyway I was wondering if the video card in the thing is any good. It's an nvidia quadro nvs 280... does anyone know anything about it?
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
It's a workstation card, so it's not going to run games well. It will, however, handle business class apps decently.
Oh Shit!
2 gigs of ram = fine , find out the processors tho , sounds like an intel e8500 to me,

NVIDIA Quadro series is for graphical designers and such, people using autocad, and 3d rendering, doesnt go fine for games.

I would say that depending on your price range, you should avoid the geforce 9 series, as they are series 8 with higher clocks, i would go for an used 8800gtx 768mb ( they can be found as low as 120$ !! Good price for that) But if youre going new, i suggest atis HD4850, or 4870, great cards, ati dominated this run of cards, im still rooting for nvidia tho.

You should check out the power supply too, if its a CODEGEN or COLORS-IT change it immediatly, they are highly unreliable. Fortron & chieftec are fine. Id suggest an 500W power supply like BLUE STORM II , from fortron , but that may not be necessary depending on your current PSU.
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
Quote by Lagrance
2 gigs of ram = fine , find out the processors tho , sounds like an intel e8500 to me,

NVIDIA Quadro series is for graphical designers and such, people using autocad, and 3d rendering, doesnt go fine for games.

I would say that depending on your price range, you should avoid the geforce 9 series, as they are series 8 with higher clocks, i would go for an used 8800gtx 768mb ( they can be found as low as 120$ !! Good price for that) But if youre going new, i suggest atis HD4850, or 4870, great cards, ati dominated this run of cards, im still rooting for nvidia tho.

You should check out the power supply too, if its a CODEGEN or COLORS-IT change it immediatly, they are highly unreliable. Fortron & chieftec are fine. Id suggest an 500W power supply like BLUE STORM II , from fortron , but that may not be necessary depending on your current PSU.

Makes sense, it was at an architecture firm probably running cad or viz.

K well thanks I'll try to find a cheap solution.
Gear:
If you are going to buy a new videocard, then buy the amd/ati HD 4850 or 4870 those are the best right now in my opinion.
quadro cards are exactly the same as geforce cards except bios and driver tweaks, the card you have is pretty low down on the list as far as they go though, still should run some games fine though. workstation cards, used for 3D graphics are usaully better at certain games, they use them to make the games right, and tht requires alot more resources that to actaully play them.

grab a few demos, see how it performs, if it isnt soo good just swap it out for another card, if its only AGP mobo get a 7xxx series card, or if not get a 6800GT
Im assuming you mean a Dual-Core processor, which is perfectly fine. For a video card, the nVidia 8800GTX is your best bet. No real need for anything too high in video RAM, > 512 is just excessive.
/SG/
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."
8500GT IS HORRIBLE , STAY AWAY FROM IT. If you need a cheaper solution go for the 9600GT from nvidia, its the only card from this series worth its name.
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
Quote by Lagrance
8500GT IS HORRIBLE , STAY AWAY FROM IT. If you need a cheaper solution go for the 9600GT from nvidia, its the only card from this series worth its name.

Seriously? dam I hate spending loads of money.
Gear:
really? sweet.
Gear:
Man, you gotta actually spend some money to get anything. A 50 dollar video card isnt gonna get you ****.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by humperdunk
really? sweet.

hmmm, I was wrong, the card is £100 new, or $200.
maybe you could sell it half that, not sure what the used graphics card market is like.
goodluck anyway. I want a new graphics card too.
I have an 8600GTS and it can run Call of Duty 4 on all high settings and it runs at 30 FPS or higher (usually 40+, but depends on the map) at 1024x786 resolution. You probably have a larger monitor, so a 8800 would be a better card for you. Or, you could wait for the next GeForce series to come out so you can grab a 9 series for cheaper.
newegg.com is a great website for computer gear
Eww Pentium...

Go get a core2duo and stay away from Athlon/AMD.

Oh and HD3850 is killer. I have it.

Get an HD4850 though, it kicks the 8800GT's ass. Or the 9600GT if you can, all good.

Although, I'd worry about the powersupply in your computer, if it's too weak, it won't work with the vid card.
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
Last edited by AlucardZero at Jul 21, 2008,