Im looking at a Line 6 spider III. Iver heard mixed reviews about it, what do you guys think?
I have a spider II and I'm getting rid of it. The amp modeling screws up the tone.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
The 15 watter is fine for practice, everything else is a huge waste of cash.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
General feeling towards the amp here on the boards is fairly negative.

I've tried it a number of times and personally haven't been all that impressed. The lower priced practice amps would be fine for simple bedroom practice, but as you go up into the more powerful, expensive versions, most people would agree that your money would be best spent on another amp, usually tube.

What type of music do you play? What are you willing to spend? Are you gigging or is it simply for low volume practice?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap
the smaller versions are ok for practise, but other than that
craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap
save up your money and invest in Line 6's new line of Spider amps---Spider TUBE amps.
Don't get a Spider III, get a Cube.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
everyone hates it, so so do I. am i cool?
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
I wanna play gigs I play mostly metal, I use an Ibanez RG and I am looking for something under $500
Its really only decent for practicing. And even then you could find better ones in the price range. So I would look around at other amps before getting it for sure.

EDIT: Your best bets are probably the B-52 AT112, a Randall RG50, or a peavey Valveking. In that order, as the B-52 is pretty much the poor man's Mesa distortion-wise, while the VK doesnt exactly excel at metal on its own.
What about the Ibanez Toneblaster series, My friend has the 30 watt and loves it and they do have a 320 wat half stack for just under $500. What do you think about that?
Those are probably worse than the spiders.

+1 to gotsa, those are pretty much the best amps for metal in your range.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Might want to take a look at a few of these.

In most cases, you'll also want to get an EQ pedal and/or overdrive pedal to go with it, depending on exactly what kind of metal you're looking to play.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp-104003397-i1145634.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-V-Series-V33-212-33W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-487056-i1372076.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-V-Series-V50-112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-487054-i1322695.gc

Or if you can find one used, a B-52 AT-112 60-Watt 1x12.

Getting the amps used would also allow more money to spend on good pedals, like an EQ and/or overdrive that I mentioned earlier.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."