It's usually a low B.
Pros: more diverse, low string can sound cool
Cons: seventh string can get in the way until you're used to it, a crappy amp will just sound muddy with the lower frequencies
EDIT: keep in mind this is coming from a guy who has never played one
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
the 7th string is a B. think about it. the strings go down by fourths or up by 5ths, so E's 5th is a B. i would reccomend getting one, as long as it's not ur only guitar. its got a slighty more less comortable neck, but u'll get an expanded range of notes to play and songs to learn
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
but get a fairly cheap one, cuz ur not gonna use it all the time
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
The pros: An added string can be used in alot of different ways. You could tune it to an E for added fatness in low powerchords. You could use it as a drone string if you wanted to, or you could use it as a regular E string and add another high string. The cons for me: Strings are harder to come by, as well as replacement pickups and bridges/parts. And the neck is gonna be fatter, too. Which will take some adjusting to, but it wont be too bad. And btw, I know Slipknot (not my favorite, but a noted 7-string-using group) tunes the low 7th string to a B, and some groups tune it to A or maybe even lower.
I own an Ibanez S7320 and love it. It takes a little while to get used to the 7th string, but if you practice like you should, then you'll get it down in no time
its a low B
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by qotsa1998
The pros: An added string can be used in alot of different ways. You could tune it to an E for added fatness in low powerchords. You could use it as a drone string if you wanted to, or you could use it as a regular E string and add another high string. The cons for me: Strings are harder to come by, as well as replacement pickups and bridges/parts. And the neck is gonna be fatter, too. Which will take some adjusting to, but it wont be too bad. And btw, I know Slipknot (not my favorite, but a noted 7-string-using group) tunes the low 7th string to a B, and some groups tune it to A or maybe even lower.

Slipknot doesn't use 7 string guitars. And you really can't tune lower than A.
Try it, I dare you!
So a 7 string is as such

BEADGE it the exact same thing as a 6 string, but with a low B on top.

Pros: you can easily tune to low tunings such as drop B or A. You still have the high E string for solos.

Cons: B string can get in the way. You HAVE to get used to it. The neck will be uncomfortable at first.

You really don't expand any skills on a 7 string. It's purpose is to achieve low tunings.

Korn uses 7 stringed axes. They tune to Drop A.
Try it, I dare you!
ive played a schecter 7 string and it felt like crap. if i were to get one id definitely get a higher end model
Quote by execution_666
but you can tune down to an A, any further and it would work the greatest
Quote by qotsa1998

I'm sick and tired of ending up running around that they don't use 7s, and didn't used to use 7's. They down tune their sixes.

@nutinpwnsgibson--Who says you won't use your 7 much? Mine is used MUCH more than any of my other guitars.

As mentioned, Pros=Better Range and versatility, new chord shapes, etc. Cons=could initially be uncomfortable/take getting used to.

And you can tune down as low as you want. The lowest I know of 7's being tuned is G or F#.
Last edited by TheShred201 at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
im not looking to tune any lower than drop d. is the string below or above the low E on a standard guitar? i just want to expand my skizzlles.

it's BEADGBE
so you're in standard with a low B as your 7th string.
you mean skills? owning a guitar with an extra string doesn't make you a better player or improve your skizzlles. i couldn't stand tuning down my six string anymore, so i bought a seven string to handle the tension, and i fell in love with it. normally like thicker necks on a six, so the transition was pretty quick. it was easy to go from an LP to a seven, for me at least. you can still play six string songs on it, i do it all the time. i barely ever play my six string at all anymore.

it's all a matter of taste, you should question your interests, what you would want or need, then go from there. i mean go ahead and get one, but from what it looks like, i don't think you would it all that much.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by execution_666

Meshuggah say hi!

Also: Only get a 7 if you know and like a lot of bands that play 7's, and if you feel limited by a 6. Or, if your downtuning a 6 to A/B.

Some bands that play 7s: Novembre, Nevermore, Satariel, Scar Symmetry, Dream Theater, Mirrorthrone, Meshuggah (8 strings, now), Mercenary... There's loads in metal. Bands that play in B or lower: At the Gates, Cannibal Corpse, Nile, Arcturus...

If you dont wanna go below D though, getting a 7 string will be ****ing pointless.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Last edited by Burning_Angel at Jul 22, 2008,
one thing thats cool is that u can achieve like any tuning by using a capo
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by execution_666
So a 7 string is as such

BEADGE it the exact same thing as a 6 string, but with a low B on top.

Pros: you can easily tune to low tunings such as drop B or A. You still have the high E string for solos.

Cons: B string can get in the way. You HAVE to get used to it. The neck will be uncomfortable at first.

You really don't expand any skills on a 7 string. It's purpose is to achieve low tunings.

Korn uses 7 stringed axes. They tune to Drop A.

1. no its BEadgbe...forgot the other b.

2. correct, but thats not all..

3. it shouldnt "get in the way" if you just think of it as a 6 with another string, rather than a totally new instrument. and its more comfortable tbh if you have larger hands.

4. you do expand skills, as sweeps and shapes of arpeggios change massivley, your string skipping becomes better, you learn to mute with more accuracy, you learn about how to fit those lower notes in and make your tonal capabilities more complex......
i could go on.
Pros: You have 7 strings.
Cons: You do not have 6 strings.

I think that sums it up. If you want to have a 7th string just so you can play t3h br00talz, I would like to recommend trying uber gauge strings. I dont have anything against 7 strings (except for I personally couldnt find a use for one), just make sure that you're buying one for the right reasons so its not a waste of money.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Quote by Burning_Angel
Meshuggah say hi!

Also: Only get a 7 if you know and like a lot of bands that play 7's, and if you feel limited by a 6. Or, if your downtuning a 6 to A/B.

Some bands that play 7s: Novembre, Nevermore, Satariel, Scar Symmetry, Dream Theater, Mirrorthrone, Meshuggah (8 strings, now), Mercenary... There's loads in metal. Bands that play in B or lower: At the Gates, Cannibal Corpse, Nile, Arcturus...

If you dont wanna go below D though, getting a 7 string will be ****ing pointless.

Yeah I totally forgot the whole 8 string thing with the low F#.

Some of the songs I've seen by Cannibal Corpse are tuned down a half step from standard.
Try it, I dare you!
If you didn't even know what note the extra string was tuned to that kind of implies you don't really need a 7 string.

If you want to "expand you skizzlles" do some practising.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
7 strings are great!! but in my opinion you need one with a very flat fretboard radius like rg 7 strings.
You can down tune however much you want, you just have to buy heavier gauge strings (and possibly increase the size of the hole at the nut). which arent that hard to find tbh, and often you can just buy the single 7th strings.
i downtune my 7th string to an A to get 5th chords when i bar the 6th and the 7th strings.
But i wouldnt see a problem with dropping the whole guitar into d standard and then dropping the 7th string to a G if someone really wanted to (would sound great imo) you just will need thick gauge strings.
One problem with downtuning seven strings is they generally come with floyd rose style tremolos so you might have to alter with the springs at the back of the tremolo because the strings are at a lower tension so the tremolo will be pulled right into the body.
Quote by FLNagle
Pros: You have 7 strings.
Cons: You do not have 6 strings.

err... that didn't sound very good, mate
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
You will probably only really like a 7 string if you like playing in B, and have found yourself tuning your 6 string(s) to B. Being a huge fan of Floyd Rose Tremolo's, tuning to B is a huge inconvenience, so I got a 7 string wtih a trem. (Plan on changing it out for an OFR soon) As stated before if you're not even sure what the extra string is you really shouldn't worry about one.
Quote by godofshred
1. no its BEadgbe...forgot the other b.

2. correct, but thats not all..

3. it shouldnt "get in the way" if you just think of it as a 6 with another string, rather than a totally new instrument. and its more comfortable tbh if you have larger hands.

4. you do expand skills, as sweeps and shapes of arpeggios change massivley, your string skipping becomes better, you learn to mute with more accuracy, you learn about how to fit those lower notes in and make your tonal capabilities more complex......
i could go on.

+1

But TS, don't always think in terms of metal players doing the 'chug' motion on the B string, think of say, jazz and performing bass lines with the B string along with some jazzy licks! 7 strings were made for jazz in the first place.
Quote by steven seagull
If you didn't even know what note the extra string was tuned to that kind of implies you don't really need a 7 string.

If you want to "expand you skizzlles" do some practising.

+1
Quote by execution_666
Yeah I totally forgot the whole 8 string thing with the low F#.

Some of the songs I've seen by Cannibal Corpse are tuned down a half step from standard.

Aye, older Cannibal. Newer stuff is in Bb.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"