I played a real nice MIM Tele last week, and I've been wanting to buy something really bad lately. And after playing a Tele, I've decided that I'd really like one. After watching some Pro Guitar Shop demos on youtube, I decided to look up what exactly a "G&L Legacy" was since he uses them so often.

And thats how I learned about G&L, and furthermore their Tribute series. I can find new ASAT classic Tributes for around $450 to $500, maybe less. I could get also a new Fender Standard MIM for around $400, maybe less.

I don't think I plan on doing much upgrading on either one, at least not a new neck. Depending on how much I use it, I will probably upgrade pups in the future, but I want a nice guitar to use now without having to upgrade or take it to the shop to set up properly.

With that said, I was wondering which would give me the best overall guitar. That means finish, sound, playability, reliability, and how well it's been set up out of the factory. I realize that some of these vary depending on what guitar your get. I'd like something that's reliable most of the time. I don't like how sometimes it's hit or miss with MIMs. Or so I hear.

Anyway, I'd really only like feedback from people who have had experience with both guitars. It doesn't help too much if you've only played a nice MIM, because I'd like to see how they compare and which would be a better purchase.

Thanks in advance.

By the way, I play blues and rock mainly, with a little bit of everything else. I've got a guitar with 'buckers for the heavier stuff, so that's not an issue. I'm playing through a Blues Jr. with various pedals, so I've got that covered.
I'd say the G&L. Like a Fender, only more advanced, basically! And that's a pretty good price, I reckon. So yeah, go for it!
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Id just get the mim and use the money left over to get better pups ASAP!! But those G&Ls are nice, my local music store sells em
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by Felgate
can anyone tell me how i get a tone similar to what avril lavigne uses in skater boy please?
With the cash left over from the MIM he'd probably only have enough for GFS pick-ups at best, I say go with the G&L. It'll definitely last you and hold its own far more longer than the MIM will even with a pup swap.
try them both and find out which one is more comfortable. personally, g&l's tend to sound better than fenders stock. which isnt a problem because you can get new pups. I hate g&l's though. to me, they feel like crap in my hands compared to a fender. you, however, may find a completely different situation. try them both.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
try them both and find out which one is more comfortable. personally, g&l's tend to sound better than fenders stock. which isnt a problem because you can get new pups. I hate g&l's though. to me, they feel like crap in my hands compared to a fender. you, however, may find a completely different situation. try them both.

Could you be more specific please? You say the G&L sound better, but that it feels like crap. What didn't feel right? Was it the neck?

I'd appreciate it. Personally, I thought the MIM tele I played was wonderful; but I don't think I'll get the chance to play a G&L. There aren't any licensed dealers anywhere near me, so I'll probably be buying one blind if I choose it. Which is why I'm asking instead of trying.
i dont know about now in 2008 but it wasnt too long ago (15yrs) that g&l was considered better than fender. and held more resale value. things may have changed by now but i`d spend my money on a g&l over a mexican tele or strat, any day.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
I've never played a G&L that I wasn't impressed with.

You might have to go through a few MIMs to find one that isn't a dud.

Just to throw something else into the equation...

You should take a look at a used Parker P36 .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I bought the ASAT. Why?
It is set up in the USA before being shipped, so it felt great.
It comes with USA pups. same as used in the USA G&L.
It feels better than the MIM's tele.
You will have to upgrade pups in the fender. (mim pu's suck)

I was told by a fender dealer that the MIMs have to be sorted through to find one that is good. Did you get that? The dealer selling them told me that most of them suck.

All the G&L's felt the same. Great! They vary based on what kind of wood they are made from. I declined the swap ash for bass wood. Yea, I know how pretty the ash was, but I loved the tone of the bass wood.

I bought the G&L, and would do it again. In fact, I will probably get a G&L strat to go with my tele.

I also play a vintage Gibson Les Paul Custom and a vintage gibson Paul.
(not being a snob, just making the point that I do know a good axe when I play it.)

Had my tele for 3 years now, and still play the shit out of it.

No contest as far as I was concerned. G&L kicks Fenders ass.
Meh, I think Fenders are better, the G&Ls sound a bit too bright to me. I dunno why, but they just do.

Bearing in mind the ugly headstock aswell. And MIA Fenders kick more ass. And the higher end MIMs kick more ass aswell, in my opinion, of course.
Cam Sampbell's my hero