I've been playing since March and I'm moderately fast at picking and getting better at alt picking, great at strumming, but I can't palm mute for ****. It takes me twice as long to palm mute than to regular hit a note. I can't keep up with any cd that has palm muting unless I skip some notes. I've been practicing on palm mutes almost every day for 4 months with no improvement in speed. Is there anything that I can do to help my progress?
What cds are you listening to?
If it's fast, they're probably alternate picking.
You can only downpick so fast.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Christ Lover
make sure you hold your pick right, it can help a lot.

This.

I lost about 7 months of playing because I wasn't holding my pick correctly.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Quote by Mammy
I've been playing since March and I'm moderately fast at picking and getting better at alt picking, great at strumming, but I can't palm mute for ****. It takes me twice as long to palm mute than to regular hit a note. I can't keep up with any cd that has palm muting unless I skip some notes. I've been practicing on palm mutes almost every day for 4 months with no improvement in speed. Is there anything that I can do to help my progress?

try alternate picking, this is odd, i never had any problems palm muting, but maye alternate picking is your problem? hmmm, if not im sorry i cant help, you dont like a really sharp bridge do you?
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
maybe your too tense? holding the pick wrong like some one else mentioned? its really just a matter of resting the side of your wrist along side the bridge.
I listen to Punk/Pop Punk mainly. I'm pretty sure it's not alternate picking. I can alternate pick palm mute sometimes but it's too fast then if you understand what I'm saying(I get out of time). And as for holding the pick, I'm not really sure. I've read it doesn't really matter but it appears the articles I read weren't correct. I shall go look that up.
Quote by Christ Lover
make sure you hold your pick right, it can help a lot.

"Christ Lover" is right. You may have this problem if you don't hold your pick the correct way.

As I know alternative picking has nothing to do with this, when you are palm muting you don't pick up and down, you just strum down or you will loose your rhythm.(But not in lead, only when you are playing power chords)

Go to the following link and read the "HOLDING THE PICK" section.
    http://www.jamoramalead.com/6part/3847newsletter1.htm

If you are already holding your pick correctly(as described in the lesson above) then your right hand position is the next thing you want to consider.

Your right hand should go over the bridge and your wrist should be placed on top of the bridge(but don't press it into the bridge) like when you are playing lead parts. And when you want to palm mute you just have to move your side of the palm a little bit into the strings from the bridge.

If you do the above things then you will palm-mute easily.
    But remember everything is hard at first, and practice will make it easy.
    Last edited by YA89 at Jul 23, 2008,
    Quote by YA89

As I know alternative picking has nothing to do with this, when you are palm muting you don't pick up and down, you just strum down or you will loose your rhythm.

That's stupid.

You should be keeping the rhythm by tapping your foot, or with a metronome, or even just in your head. Sometimes I tap my teeth. My point is restricting yourself to only downpicks while palming is dumb.

TS, go very slowly and keep a light touch. Stay relaxed and don't force it, speed is a result of accuracy so get super accurate and build up speed over time.
    Byah!!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.tv/guitar_lessons/steal_this_video_palm_muting.html

A picture is worth a thousand words... I wonder how many a video is worth!
    “Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥