So ive got five hundred dollars to spend on an amp, and to get my guitar tuned up (pickup switches fixed, nut re-glued). I know there are alot of choices, but i want to have some idea of amps to try out when i go to the store. Give me some choices, as many as possible that i can try out at the store.

I play classic rock, metal, hard rock and alternative (foo fighters, three days grace, stone temple pilots, soundgarden), i dont need crazy distortion from the amp for metal i can get a pedal, the heaviest i go would be something like Bullet For My Vallentine.

Ive been playing on my crappy 80 dollar clearance CRATE amp for a while and then got sick of the terrible sound, and sold it. So ive been playing acoustic for a while and every once and a while my electric through a ****ty headphone amp. So i need a good amp to play on, a nice all around amp. And Im not sure about wattage, I like to play pretty loud and the 30 watt crate sounded like **** when played loud. And can i get a decent tube amp within this price range, or do i have to stick with solid state? Also could anybody give me a rough estimate on how much the repair for the guitar would cost? it needs both of the pickup selector switches replaced or fixed (one the switch snapped off, and the other its all loose and even when i tighten it from the outside it still doesnt change the pickup) and the nut reglued as it keeps sliding out of place and the strings go out of tune fast. Its a nice guitar, an 80s Peavy T-60, that i got from a relative who bought it who knows when and kept in storage, hardly ever played it. I think the pickup switches got damaged in shipping, they have been broken or barely working since i got the guitar. It was in the case but the UPS has a way of breaking my packadges.
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.
Last edited by GU1T4R-H3R0 at Jul 22, 2008,
What do you play? Who do you like?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
save your money and get something nice

Ignorance at it's finest?

He could get a very nice amp within his price range.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Sorry about that, didnt specify the type of music. I play classic rock, metal, hard rock and alternative (foo fighters, three days grace, stone temple pilots, soundgarden), i dont need crazy distortion from the amp for metal i can get a pedal, the heaviest i go would be something like Bullet For My Vallentine. And should i really save up for a better amp? 500 dollars is a decent amount, shouldnt i be able to find a good amp for that amount?
I would like a good built in distortion or overdrive from the amp. Doesnt need to be super heavy just a good sounding distortion.
Quote by shredmeiser101

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

What size of gigs do you plan on playing? Is it just bedroom practice? A 112 Valveking would be good, but then again so would a Blackheart BH5-112 combo.
Quote by end_citizen
What size of gigs do you plan on playing? Is it just bedroom practice? A 112 Valveking would be good, but then again so would a Blackheart BH5-112 combo.

mostly practice with some friends, not bedroom practice, i play pretty loud. If there are gigs they will be smaller, i dont need a gigantic amp. But something that sounds good when played loud.
Quote by shredmeiser101

Quote by Meths

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

The Fender Blues Jr might fill the bill. It's a very good sounding amp and I played both clean and dirty on it. Of course I use pedals.
Mesa F-30
Mesa DC-3
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Valveking
Peavey XXX
Randall RG50TC
B-52 AT
Line6 Flextone
Traynor YCV
Crate V
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by GU1T4R-H3R0
Sorry about that, didnt specify the type of music. I play classic rock, metal, hard rock and alternative (foo fighters, three days grace, stone temple pilots, soundgarden), i dont need crazy distortion from the amp for metal i can get a pedal, the heaviest i go would be something like Bullet For My Vallentine. And should i really save up for a better amp? 500 dollars is a decent amount, shouldnt i be able to find a good amp for that amount?
I would like a good built in distortion or overdrive from the amp. Doesnt need to be super heavy just a good sounding distortion.

Hmmm.........well, perhaps a Blues Junior, I wasn't impressed by any of the lower end Peavy Tubes. The classic was good for blues, and the Valve King wasn't anything special. I did like the JSX 212 combo though, but that is about 3 times more than your price range.

A Blues Junior then, stock up on a Metal Muff, TS-9/TS-7, maybe a MXR EQ or something. And possibly a Hot Rod attenuator.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

I got a used Musicman for a little less than that. Put a pedal of your choice in front of it for whatever sound you want. Great clean tones.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Mesa F-30
Mesa DC-3
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Valveking
Peavey XXX
Randall RG50TC
B-52 AT
Line6 Flextone
Traynor YCV
Crate V

Valveking 112
save up 100 more bucks and grab a classic 30. i hear amazing things about them and if you run an od pedal through it you can definitely play metal(thrash, but maybe not death)
well you can get a lot of nice amps in that price range. the peavy would be awesome but than again if you are not a sound geek than you don't need a tube amp. Now before you give me **** for that answer don't get me wrong I love the sound of tube amps but if you play in a rather small space than a tube amp won't be good for you because you really have to drive it, try a vox ad 50 or with that kind of cash maybe even a ad 100. maybe when you are play metal than go look at the xl versions of the vox amps they have some nice sounds just right for different types of music. oh and whoever said use a pedal to get you distortion is right too if you get an amp with nice clean sound than you can distort it with a nice pedal which will definitely be better than a built in distortion( except maybe a driven tube),
Quote by kingofnima
Now before you give me **** for that answer don't get me wrong I love the sound of tube amps but if you play in a rather small space than a tube amp won't be good for you because you really have to drive it,

This seems to be a very common myth with tube amps, modern tube amps are made to sound good at low volumes and at high volumes. There are some that sound better at low volumes than other at low volumes, yes, but I'd still take a good tube amp over a SS any day of the week playing it with the volume at 1.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
so you guys think i should go with a tube amp?
Quote by shredmeiser101

Quote by Meths

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

Quote by GU1T4R-H3R0
so you guys think i should go with a tube amp?

Yes.

ValveKing 112's are good.

I recommend trying out tube amps in your price range.
Look at used amps on craigslist if you can.
Mesa F-30
Mesa DC-3
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Valveking
Peavey XXX
Randall RG50TC
B-52 AT
Line6 Flextone
Traynor YCV
Crate V series
All would be in your price range used. Again, if you can look used. If you filled out your profile we would know where you live and could then tell IF you can really buy used...
Quote by Explorer125
Yes.

ValveKing 112's are good.

I recommend trying out tube amps in your price range.

nah for 5 bills gets something better,
for something new look at,
Bugeras, B-52's, and Classic 30's thats all i can recomend in that price range thats worth buying, the bugera i have to say is ****ing amazing, and i dont know why people buy VK's and then sup'em up when for a bill extra you could get the Bugera 333 and then upgrade as the years go buy.

Used, id say take a look at peavey 5150's its a one trick pony but for metal and punk its bomb.
something a little more flexible id have to say if you can save up a 2 more bills a Vox AC30, all you need is some OD pedal to push the gain tough and your set for just about anything.
Those are the only two amps that come to mind for you, and what your want to play.
Hope that helps
Quote by TheKaiser77
nah for 5 bills gets something better,
for something new look at,
Bugeras, B-52's, and Classic 30's thats all i can recomend in that price range thats worth buying, the bugera i have to say is ****ing amazing, and i dont know why people buy VK's and then sup'em up when for a bill extra you could get the Bugera 333 and then upgrade as the years go buy.

Used, id say take a look at peavey 5150's its a one trick pony but for metal and punk its bomb.
something a little more flexible id have to say if you can save up a 2 more bills a Vox AC30, all you need is some OD pedal to push the gain tough and your set for just about anything.
Those are the only two amps that come to mind for you, and what your want to play.
Hope that helps

I hate when people don't correctly read the thread. He plainly said that he had $500 for an amp, and to get his guitar set up. I figure, with the setup he will have somewhere around $400 left. The VK is nice, but there are also other options out there for $400.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Mesa F-30
Mesa DC-3
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Valveking
Peavey XXX
Randall RG50TC
B-52 AT
Line6 Flextone
Traynor YCV
Crate V

Great list and to add to it Peavey Ultra
Look at MatrixClaw's list, then forget that you saw Valveking, and those are some good amps to look at.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^ yay but he dont have the $, i say yah go with the vavleking if that all you could afford.
alright thanks alot guys, im going to the store in a few days when i get back home. Anybody know how much it would cost to get my guitar fixed?
Quote by shredmeiser101

Quote by Meths

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
new or used?
can you go somewhere and play various amps?
do you spend much time on GG&A?
is $500 your total budget for amp and guitar labor?

new or used it doesnt matter to me.
I have a guitar center and two daddy's near me that i can go to.
No idea what GG&A is
Yeah, i can go a bit higher for the labor but no more than 500 for the amp alone.
Quote by shredmeiser101

Quote by Meths

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

can you really get a AC30 for 700? that is definitely one awesome amp super high quality!!!
but I like the peavey they are not too big to carry around and have a nice sound but I guess you are right you can get a nicer amp for that cash