Hello everyone, I'm completely new here so you probably haven't seen me around.

I'd like to know your thoughts on the Fender VG Stratocaster. I currently use a MIM Arctic White Strat, but I would like to upgrade to something really nice one of these days. The VG is one I've been drooling over lately.

However, reading reviews on Harmony Central has led me to the conclusion that some people love it, and some people hate it. I'm not sure what to think. I played it briefly at Guitar Center and really liked it, but I'm not an expert.

So anyway, what do you think and more importantly, WHY?
Just played one today!!

I like the fact that its still a strat. when you need real tone, you just flip back to the reagular strat pickups. The emulations are good, and usefull, but still don't have that extra layer of tone that you get from the real guitar... all in all, it is a decent job.

The tunings are neat, and may be useful for some. i find that the tracking isn't all that good one them, which leaves pauses when switching between pickups sometimes.

Is it worth $700 over the base USA strat, NO. however, if you have the cash and absolutely want to get all these tones in one guitar, then go for it.

I would upgrade your strat pickups, and do some mods to the switching that gives you both the tele and humbucking tones. What amp/effects are you running?
My dad owns one, and I've spent many hours playing it. I don't find myself using the tunings often, but having the acoustic and the 12 string settings there makes it all worth it to me.
I have owned my VG for 6 months now and would not trade it (except for the monetary value) for the '52 Tele and '63 Strat I used to own. I bought mine from a reputable seller on Ebay for $1200, and it had not even been set up yet. I love the 12 string and baritone tunings. The Tele mode is excellent and brings back memories when I played the '52 in a Surf band. It seems to have plenty of layers of tone to me, and the tracking is right on except when switching as there is a slight lag. Go and demo one more extensively just to make sure, because everyone has different opinions that may not be the same as what you experience. You will get "love it, hate it" opinions on every guitar out there including the most revered and expensive models.

If you play a lot, get an extra set of rechargeable batteries so that all you have to do is change them out. The VG gives you plenty of low battery warning time, but if you still play too long, all you have to do is switch to the normal mode and you have a true MIA Strat. I am thinking of ordering an extra battery box which will make it even easier. Fender should have built in a charging system, it would have added very little cost to it and that would eliminate the only complaint I have about this great guitar.
Even cheapo portable radios and cassette recorders come with this feature.

Well worth the price, especially for a near new one for $1200, and if for some strange reason I decided to sell it, I could still get near what I paid for it.

Have Fun!
Last edited by Gage2k5 at Jul 24, 2008,
Quote by hawk5211
Just played one today!!

I like the fact that its still a strat. when you need real tone, you just flip back to the reagular strat pickups. The emulations are good, and usefull, but still don't have that extra layer of tone that you get from the real guitar... all in all, it is a decent job.

The tunings are neat, and may be useful for some. i find that the tracking isn't all that good one them, which leaves pauses when switching between pickups sometimes.

Is it worth $700 over the base USA strat, NO. however, if you have the cash and absolutely want to get all these tones in one guitar, then go for it.

I would upgrade your strat pickups, and do some mods to the switching that gives you both the tele and humbucking tones. What amp/effects are you running?

Quote by ~GuitarGirl~
Hello everyone, I'm completely new here so you probably haven't seen me around.

I'd like to know your thoughts on the Fender VG Stratocaster. I currently use a MIM Arctic White Strat, but I would like to upgrade to something really nice one of these days. The VG is one I've been drooling over lately.

However, reading reviews on Harmony Central has led me to the conclusion that some people love it, and some people hate it. I'm not sure what to think. I played it briefly at Guitar Center and really liked it, but I'm not an expert.

So anyway, what do you think and more importantly, WHY?

Well I don't know if you're a very experienced guitar player but if you aren't I wouldn't buy a guitar that costs that much =P
Quote by kevC4
Well I don't know if you're a very experienced guitar player but if you aren't I wouldn't buy a guitar that costs that much =P

Why not? It will last her a lifetime!! Plus, it would cost a lot more to purchase individual instruments to do what this one does.
Quote by Gage2k5
Why not? It will last her a lifetime!! Plus, it would cost a lot more to purchase individual instruments to do what this one does.

Anything can happen. I would say try it first too.
And try it a lot. See if you get "bored" of the sound or something in just a few sittings. I've had that happen to me a few times... Better to know you won't really like it all that much ahead of time, if that _is_ the case.
Gear:
Fender MIM HSS Stratocaster
Some random Yamaha acoustic
VOX amPlug AC30
After trying it out for several hours I bought the Variax 700 and a POD XTL.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I definitely recommend getting one.
On top of it being an excellent version, Stratocasters in general are top notch instruments.
Hey, why not? You get tons of tones from it, and they're better than the Variaxs when I played one. (Before you ask, it was the 700 one).

If it was up to me, I would just get a normal Strat, because I would only use a Strat tone, but if you think you'll change tunings and stuff like that, get it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero