Hey guys,

If you had a gig, would your band play something that the audience would like but your band might not like it, or something your band likes but the audience might not like it?

I'd personnal go and play the stuff i like, because its MY gig and not the audience's gig.

i wanna others' opinion.
Stuff you like. You'll be more comfortable with it, and have more fun. People who like similar stuff should be there to enjoy it with you. Even if they don't like what you play, if you're really into the music and having a great time on stage, and are really energetic, people will still enjoy the show.

I went to a hardcore band's show a while ago, and I don't really like the screaming stuff, but I had a great time just watching those guys headbang and jump around like nobody's business.
All your base are belong to us.
Depends on the place.
For example, I'd play rock at a bar, but I wouldn't play screamo **** at a breast cancer fundraiser. :/

EDIT: I'd just play whatever is comfortable for the band. Chances are if your band is having a good time, so is the audience.
Last edited by St. Jimmy189 at Jul 21, 2008,
Quote by chriskhng
Hey guys,

If you had a gig, would your band play something that the audience would like but your band might not like it, or something your band likes but the audience might not like it?

I'd personnal go and play the stuff i like, because its MY gig and not the audience's gig.

i wanna others' opinion.

well it's not really your gig. they're paying to see you. you have to satisfy them, otherwise you might as well be playing in your practice room. If you're not going to try and please the crowd, why are you playing for them?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
i'd play the stuff i like, but i'd make sure that either the audience at the gig would at least have similar musical taste or make sure the other bands play a similar music style
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
We mix it up- the two cover songs we do live are Black and Gold-Sam Sparro and Turn It Again-RHCP
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
I would play what I want.There's no way in hell I would wanna play Simple Plan although it gets me laid.

(Probably the main reason why I've never gigged )
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
the audience is paying... should be a simple choice

its one of the things that really annoys me with some local bands, ones that dont play to the audience, if a type of music is really popular in your town, you're just gonna have to suck it up and play some.

once you get a bit more well known, you can fit in some of what you want to play
I'd play stuff I like. If they dont ****'in like it, they are worthless and weak. Or at least that's what I think...
Quote by EddieRhoads
I'd play stuff I like. If they dont ****'in like it, they are worthless and weak. Or at least that's what I think...

Hmm "think like me or you're weak".... how are things in nazi germany?
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
A gig itself is playing music for others. surely that should give you a big hint.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Stuff the audience likes. If they wont like what youre playing, why play a gig? Just play by yourself.
Quote by Deep*Kick
why do you need to have ur amp flat bickie in your house if you are just practicing is what i'm wondering? Of course it's bad for every1's hearing

Rig:
Ibanez Xiphos7 w/ Blackouts -or- ESPh307->MXR ZW-44-> Peavey 6505+

7/ERG Legion
Play what your band likes, and get an audience that likes it too. Then everybody wins.

Duh!!
i just put my guitar against the amp so it feeds back and scream random obscenities into the mic for the whole gig.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
where i used to play one of the rules were you had to get the people on the floor dancing so they would get hot and buy more beer. and if your an origional music band thats hard to do w/out a big following . so be sure and at least have enough covers in your setlist to get-em up on the floor. what we did was play the first set all coversand the 2nd set we mixed in our best origionals and still added some covers to keep the owner happy. but always finish the nite w/ one of your best orig. tunes. b4 our band broke up we had requests for our stuff, and people would sing the words......thats a feeling that rivals sekks, fellas.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
I'd mix it up...

I've never had a band (let alone a gig)... but besides stuff your bands LIKES to play, there's no harm in throwing in random songs that everyone in the audience is going like...

Having a metal band then busting out some of the really pop-ish RHCP or Weezer is a good time.
Do you want a return invitation for another gig? If you do, then you need to play what the people want to listen to.