Hi!

I have ended up to a decision that I need a new amp and I need some help for buying one.

I have decided that I want some sort marshall cabinet and head, both for under 1000 e, But I don't want the MG series (u know why).

Also If I'm buying a cabinet and a head, should I invest more on the cabinet or the head?

Cheers!
鋼の錬金術師
why does it have to be a marshall? And if im correct, 1000 E (idk the symbol) on guitar equip is the same as $1000. So you would be lucky to find a good marshall half stack for under a grand. Also what type of music do you play, vintage modern, ect.
I have to agree under a thousand for both the head and cab your not gonna get much. If you want that marshall sound though check out Traynor amps.
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
I play mostly shredding music like from randy rhoads, yngwie malmsteen, paul gilbert, joe satriani, The amp and the head from marshall aren't a must but I'd like it to be a marshall
鋼の錬金術師
Get a used JCM800 head and sacrifice a little on the cab
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Quote by Leper_Messiah_
Get a used JCM800 head and sacrifice a little on the cab

I wouldn't go buying used JCM800's, but that's just me. They are going to be old, with no warranty or anything. I'd suggest staying with current models. If you must have a Marshall head and cab, go for JCM2000 DSL 50 head and a 1960AV cabinet, although you can get much better amps than the modern Marshalls
I'd take an old Marshall over their new stuff.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by XtAsY2007
I wouldn't go buying used JCM800's, but that's just me. They are going to be old, with no warranty or anything. I'd suggest staying with current models. If you must have a Marshall head and cab, go for JCM2000 DSL 50 head and a 1960AV cabinet, although you can get much better amps than the modern Marshalls

you do realize that people pay upwards of $20,000 for JTM45s right? the ones that range back from around 1962? Not to mention the 1966 JTM45/Super100, and original 1987 and 1959 plexi panel JMP Marshalls?

and yes, they play them too. if an amplifier is well built, age should not be an issue as long as the owner has taken care of it.

And to the OP, a good head can be wasted with a bad cabinet. Just keep that in mind. And do not feel like you have to get a Marshall, for your budget, there are better amplifiers than Marshalls.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 23, 2008,
why do you need a half stack?? You could easily get away with a high gain 60w combo e.g peavy XXX or a 5150+
Here is my honest, humble opinion -

Many people nowadays want to go out and get that AWESOME HALFSTACK for under a grand, and usually come home with something that they will become disappointed with rather quickly.

First question - do you REALLY want a half-stack? This is an important question. It's a lot of work to carry that from gig to gig, back home, back to practice, etc. Why not a combo? A lot cheaper, much more convenient, same or better tone depending on speakers.

Next question - you mention artists like Gilbert, Malmsteen, Satriani... Here is my question - do you want their SOUND or their FEEL? See, a majority of tone comes from the player. Ask anyone that knows what they're talking about. Also, you probably wouldn't think it, but these players aren't using nearly as much gain as they are volume.

The best thing I can recommend to you is not an amp, but a re-evaluation of what you really want.

The combo amplifier seems to be your best pick - not a half stack.

But, if I do have to recommend anything cheap and good, try the Crate Flexwave series. These amps have really impressed me.

Also, on the cabinet, try out a Behringer Ultrastack with Jensen Bugera speakers if you can. To me, it sounds a hundred times better than a Marshall cabinet. Only $250 courtesy of Musician's Friend.

BEST ADVICE EVER - DO NOT BUY SOMETHING LIKE AN AMP ON A WHIM. RESEARCH, TRY OUT, ASK GOOD PLAYERS.
Quote by StratFox
Here is my honest, humble opinion -

Many people nowadays want to go out and get that AWESOME HALFSTACK for under a grand, and usually come home with something that they will become disappointed with rather quickly.

First question - do you REALLY want a half-stack? This is an important question. It's a lot of work to carry that from gig to gig, back home, back to practice, etc. Why not a combo? A lot cheaper, much more convenient, same or better tone depending on speakers.

Next question - you mention artists like Gilbert, Malmsteen, Satriani... Here is my question - do you want their SOUND or their FEEL? See, a majority of tone comes from the player. Ask anyone that knows what they're talking about. Also, you probably wouldn't think it, but these players aren't using nearly as much gain as they are volume.

The best thing I can recommend to you is not an amp, but a re-evaluation of what you really want.

The combo amplifier seems to be your best pick - not a half stack.

But, if I do have to recommend anything cheap and good, try the Crate Flexwave series. These amps have really impressed me.

Also, on the cabinet, try out a Behringer Ultrastack with Jensen Bugera speakers if you can. To me, it sounds a hundred times better than a Marshall cabinet. Only $250 courtesy of Musician's Friend.

BEST ADVICE EVER - DO NOT BUY SOMETHING LIKE AN AMP ON A WHIM. RESEARCH, TRY OUT, ASK GOOD PLAYERS.

Yeah but i already have a guitar combo, a roland cube60 and I love it, but now my band has gotten a band house, where I need more deadly noise and i though that a cab would be the best sollution but by the looks of these posts, clearly isn't.

What about than a peavey valve kind 212?
http://www.thomann.de/fi/peavey_valve_king_212.htm

I heard it is pretty good amp, though have never really tried by myself.
鋼の錬金術師
The valveking won't give a great shred tone and is not the greatest amp in the price either.
what about a Bugera.?

i have the Bugera 6262-212 combo.
i use it along side my 5150 II and my mesa dual rect
the amp shreds man. just like my 5150 II
i use it as a back up for my peavey on the road or my Mesa, depending on what i take with me.

i play in a punk band and it does it well and can't do Blues to Metal with no problems
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
I would suggest you try a Traynor YCV50 Blue. It's a huge jump from the Cube 60 and with the right od pedal will do what you want. One opinion.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 24, 2008,