I am a beginning guitarist and I think if i practice hard i might move into the "intermediate" guitar level (whatever that means) anyways... it seems to me that speed was never an issue for me, I never have wanted to play to play insanely fast Van Halen music or whatever, and i could kind of cheat when playing Hendrix... anyways but now, i've found something that i must overcome and the only way to overcome it is to build up my speed.
In the song Aeroplane by RHCP, there is a specific run in the guitar solo that is very fast, and I have been practicing the run at slower speeds, and slowly building up the speed. At 60 bpm I've hit a roadblock... when I focus, i notice that my fretting fingers are moving slower than my right picking hand and making extra muted notes making it sound choppy and sloppy... if my hands are moving at different speeds is there some sort of fundamental coordination issue or do i just need to practice, practice, practice?

It seems to me that it is more than an issue of merely practicing, when i do this excercise:
e: ------6-8-6-8------- tremolo picking very fast for a long time, it sounds very choppy and bad... my left hand fingers just can't keep up with the picking... also while i'm doing this i look at my left hand and conscioussly will my left hand fingers to move faster, but then my right hand speeds up along with it... its really annoying and worrisome

thanks for the help and sorry for yet another "increasing speed" thread...

btw: the little run in the solo is 16th notes and 32nd notes at almost 100 bpm, just to give a more specific picture of what i'm dealing with
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
uhh what time in the song?
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
co ordination exercises ....just do those you'll find that steve vai and joe satriani have awesome exercises like 1 2 3 4 on each string and then theres

--5-4----6-------7-------------------------------------
-------4----5-------6------7---------------------------
----------------4------5------6-------7------------------
--------------------------4------5-------6--------7---------
------------------------------------4-------5---------6-------
-----------------------------------------------4----------5---4

do alternate and sweep picking on this exercise also you can flip this exercise upsidedown and challenge your 4th finger to lead.

then theres hammer on pull off exercises ...do them with each variation of hammer ons and pull offs

just look in guitar lessons and theres heaps of similiar exercises to these for warm ups and also practice.

GOOD LUCK! nail that solo

hope this was of use

do alternate and sweep picking on this exercise also you can flip this exercise upsidedown and challenge your 4th finger to lead.

hope this was of use

I don't think he can sweep pick just yet
thanks okeefe i'll try that exercise there

and RHCP its at 4:26 in the song.... navarro holds some bent notes and then descends in this sweet sounding run... it'll be awesome if i can play that
AROUND THE WORLD

yeah i can't sweep

but is that important?

yet another edit : one more question, is finger strength an issue? because my pinky is weak and not very good so it doesn't help the other fingers for those fast runs... plus for that exercise you showed me okeefe
AROUND THE WORLD

Last edited by Yeti60 at Jul 21, 2008,
I haven't looked at the song tabs, but I find that when playing things fast, like the '6, 8' thing you do, it's best to relax, and not concentrate much. If you're having to look at your hands whilst doing that exercise, you should slow it down, because you're probably not ready to do it at that speed.

Remember, slow and clean playing is better than fast and ****ty playing.
i think i may apply the "21 day challenge to this solo"
AROUND THE WORLD

I’m not familiar with the song, and I too can’t sweep, I think, I don’t even know what it is, so maybe I can and don’t know it. Anyway in reference to finger strength, I do those 1-2-3-4 and 4-5-6-7 exercises, both fast and slow, everyday. But went I do them slow I purposely push harder/firmer on the strings in an effort to build up finger strength. It’s like doing heavy weights at the gym.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
thats interesting Brian C, I hadn't thought of the slow hard pressing on the frets, I'll try that too thanks!
AROUND THE WORLD

I don't know if you want to get in the habit of pressing down really hard on the strings, you can change the pitch of the note like that. The longer you play the more you will realize you don't have to try and flatten the string when you press it down.

To strengthen your finger muscles I would practice trills,(I think thats what thier called), a rapid continuous hammer-on-pull-off, for a set amount of time. I practice this whille watching TV, and try to use my 1st and 2nd finger the length of one commercial, my 1st and 3rd finger on the next one, then 1st and 4th gradually extending the amount of time. This will really wear your hand out and build muscle. The speed of my hands tend to cycle back and forth(left will be faster for a couple months, right will be faster the next few) The thing you want to concentrate on is slow, effortless playing until you get that "speed"