Hello the wonderful community of UG! As you see, I am a new member to this huge forum, reason for that is because I'd like to start learning how to play the guitar.

Now, I know absolutely NOOOTHING about guitar as of right now, but here are some questions.

1 - I'd like to buy a guitar, nothing too big nothing too bad. So would one of these guitars be good for a beginner like myself? Here is the link:

http://www.samash.com/catalog/categorysub.asp?CategorySubID=681&departmentid=1&categorysubpricerangeid=2&BrandID=0&sourcetype=categorysearch

2 - Does every electric guitar require an amplifier to actually play instead of making barely hearable sounds ? If so, would this amplifier suit me well?

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=9&TempID=10&STRID=21269&Method=0&CategoryID=0&BrandID=0&PriceRangeID=0&PageNum=0&DepartmentID=0&pagesize=10&SortMethod=2&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=GROUP&GroupCode=all_guitar_amps

3 - Should I begin using a pick or my fingers?

Okay, I think that's about it. I apologize for the long links I put up, please bare with me. Okay, well that's it, thank you everyone for your time and have a good one!
I dont know about the equipment but

the whole point in electric is to use an amplifier, but you can practice without one, it makes a small hearable sound.

electric guitar is very hard to use with fingers as you need to alternate pick, so yes use a pick
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
i think you should save up a bit of money and buy a used guitar, i suggest a fender MIM strat or tele but theres a whole bunch of other decent guitars you can get for pretty cheap, also yes you do need an amplifier i would say either an Epiphone Valve Junior or a Blackheart Little giant, both are very good amps. As for using your fingers or a pick its all a matter of preference I started off with my fingers but after about 6 months of playing I started using a pick.
↑↑↑ i agree to that (two above) (50/50 on right above me, lol)

what is your budget?
if its $100 for guitar+amp, you will get nowhere
please give me an estimate so i can point you in the right direction
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
any of those would be perfect. I wouldnt spend much more than 200, 250 but for just starting the cheaper the better, if you lose interest you wont have lost too much money.

yes, so would an acoustic be a better option? also, an electric can definitely be heard w/o an amp, but the reason for buying an ELECTRIC guitar is to amplify the sound and be able to modify the sound with effects and such (2nd link is broken)

use whatever you want, pick is more suited to some styles(rock, blues, almost anything) fingers for others. (softer acoustic music, classical guitar, folk, country) I'd say start with the pick just because, why not. Be aware that most, ill even say the vast majority of guitarists can play with AND without a pick. Obviously not everyone can do the intricate finger picking for classical and stuff like that but...

Fiddle around with both see what you like more.

cheers!
The first three guitars on the list are 3/4 size... which means if your over 12 you'd deffinately need a full sized guitar. as for the amp link, its not working.
Wow, ton of answers, thank you everyone! Okay so let me respond to you guys:

Akm_202 - How loud is the sound without the amps? Thx for reply!

Funkymonks - I was never really a fan of buying used items, due to their damage and problems =\. Thx for reply!

AeroRocker - Well, I was thinking of spending about 200$ on both the amp and guitar. Thank you for the answer!

Wyantsm - Yes. That's a good point :-p. If I loose interest I know I didn't spend too much cash. So my goal is about 200-250 like you said. I don't know about acoustic guitar because I'd like to start heavy :X. I get used to things like that easier. I'd like to play Metal, so yea I'd definitely use a pick :P. Thank you!

Jeremy Clark - Hey there. I'm not clearly sure I understood your response. Are you saying that if I'm over 12 that those guitars would be bad for me? I'm 16 and 6'1. And OMG why is that amp link not working -_-! Let me try to post it again:

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=9&TempID=10&STRID=21269&Method=0&CategoryID=0&BrandID=0&PriceRangeID=0&PageNum=0&DepartmentID=0&pagesize=10&SortMethod=2&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=GROUP&GroupCode=all_guitar_amps

Okay I just have one last question guys.

4 - Do electric guitars have their own unique sound? Or is it all up to the amplifier to make those kick ass hard metal noises?

Okay, that's it I think. I'd just like to thank anyone who responded to my topic, thank you for taking your time to help me out!
Quote by SynisterGates!
How loud is the sound without the amps?

Not loud enough to make music with, but loud enough to practice finger exercises. Really there's no point in buying an electric guitar without an amp, otherwise buy an acoustic.

Quote by SynisterGates!
Do electric guitars have their own unique sound? Or is it all up to the amplifier to make those kick ass hard metal noises?

Different guitars have their own unique sound, but the majority of tone comes from the amp.

Quote by SynisterGates!
Are you saying that if I'm over 12 that those guitars would be bad for me? I'm 16 and 6'1.

He's saying they would be to small for you. You need a full size guitar.
Thank you rhettro and MopMaster! That helped me a lot. So is there like a big difference in price for a full sized guitar? If so approximately how much? Let's say if I needed a guitar full sized, which one would you think would suit me best? Thanks for the answers guys, hope I'm not asking for too much.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/categorysub.asp?CategorySubID=681&departmentid=1&categorysubpricerangeid=3&BrandID=0&sourcetype=categorysearch
you could go with an acoustic electric and play wit or without an amp. or get a starter pack that comes with a guitar and amp for cheap. you dont wanna waste money if u end up not liking it or not having enough time or something. plus every guitarist upgrades their equipment sooner or later so you can always get something better.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
Its a tiny bit more expensive, but about the same thing. Squier Affinity Strats go for what, U$150? Also, take a look at those value packs at Sam Ash.com...they come with guitar, amp, gig bag, cables etc. and are really cheap

This would be a good choice: http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=7&TempID=8&DepartmentID=1&STRID=14139&CategorySubID=1008&CategoryID=1008&BrandID=0&CategorySubPriceRangeID=0&pagesize=10&SortMethod=3&Method=3&PriceRangeID=0&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode=&categorysubsearch=true

There is the guitar, an amp, tuner, gig bag, DVD, picks....everything you need!

EDIT: missed the part where you said metal...this one would suit you more: http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=8&TempID=9&DepartmentID=1&STRID=141852&CategorySubID=1008&CategoryID=1008&BrandID=0&CategorySubPriceRangeID=0&pagesize=10&SortMethod=3&Method=3&PriceRangeID=0&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode=&categorysubsearch=true
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
Last edited by alexdoabismo at Jul 22, 2008,
NSHSpolevault - Thank you I'll look into it !

alexdoabismo - Oooh my god that looks absolutely perfect! Thank you so much!!! That's going to be what I'll get most likely haha =p. Thank you again Alex!! I didn't know they had such things hehe.

Thanks to everyone else who tried to help I'll take all of your advice. Have a good one all! =]
You need an amp, definitly. And if you're serious about playing, get a good one and a nice guitar. $100 will get you nowhere. I reccomend the Roland Cube models, they get great sound, aren't terribly overpriced, and come with tons of cool and fun effects, including good distortion for metal on the R-Fier setting. They're pretty portable as well. As for the guitar you buy, it totally depends on what kind of music you like. If you like A7X (great band ) like your name suggests, I would reccomend getting an Ibanez if you're looking for that kind of music. They have flat necks which are great for speed riffs, and are overall REALLY good metal guitars. By the way, Samash is a great store to shop at. Definitly buy some picks there, so you have the option of picking or using your fingers. Good luck!

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLCUBE15X - (the type of amp i was reccomending.)
guitarrra - Haha yes I was thinking of playing somewhat similar to the sound of A7X's guitars. But you know I still need to start learning how to play before I should go heavy on the equipment. I'll eventually get to the amp you suggested in time. I just need to see if I really do like guitar as I do right now when I actually get one :-p. For now I think I'll probably get one of those packages Alex recommended. Thanks for your reply tho =)! But you know on a side note if you recommend the Ibanez guitars I might get this:

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=0&TempID=1&DepartmentID=1&STRID=154314&CategorySubID=1008&CategoryID=1008&BrandID=1380&CategorySubPriceRangeID=0&pagesize=10&SortMethod=3&Method=3&PriceRangeID=0&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode=&categorysubsearch=true
Last edited by SynisterGates! at Jul 22, 2008,
Oh one last silly question. Will guitar hero help me prepare for actual guitar in someway at all? Like build flexibility between fingers, finger muscles, or whatever that's associated with that. Thank you :$.
Quote by SynisterGates!
Oh one last silly question. Will guitar hero help me prepare for actual guitar in someway at all? Like build flexibility between fingers, finger muscles, or whatever that's associated with that. Thank you :$.

No, only an actual guitar can do that. Guitar hero have 5 buttons, a real guitar have 132 "buttons".

Here's your first lesson: Learn 5 open chords, C A G E and D. Remember them as "shapes". They'll come in handy later as you learn.
Quote by PanHead
No, only an actual guitar can do that. Guitar hero have 5 buttons, a real guitar have 132 "buttons".

Here's your first lesson: Learn 5 open chords, C A G E and D. Remember them as "shapes". They'll come in handy later as you learn.

Yes! I've actually seen a couple of videos demonstrating those cords, was very interesting, thank you!
Quote by SynisterGates!

No, but I found that playing real guitar actually helps with the game, because guitarists generally have stronger, faster fingers than non-guitarists.
Quote by akm_202
I dont know about the equipment but

the whole point in electric is to use an amplifier, but you can practice without one, it makes a small hearable sound.

electric guitar is very hard to use with fingers as you need to alternate pick, so yes use a pick

my friend has the red squire its a pretty good instrument(great sound)
haha im 4ft something (i think) and i use the normal sized guitar, so you should too,

90% of the guitar sound comes from the amp, dont go overboard on buying the guitar but spend more money on the amp, sooner or later you will want to get a new guitar but the amp would still be ROCKING!!!!!!!!

ultimate-guitar.com/lessons
&
Justinguitar.com

is good for beginning your guitar playing,
try to stay away from the pit, you will get addicted and have less time to play guitar

one you get a guitar post pics and ask questions on the forum

Originally posted by GOD
Quote by akm_202
dont go overboard on buying the guitar but spend more money on the amp
That's ridiculous. I agree that signal processing makes the original tone of the guitar less important than it would be otherwise, but getting a high quality, well made guitar with excellent playability and action is going to be expensive.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
That's ridiculous. I agree that signal processing makes the original tone of the guitar less important than it would be otherwise, but getting a high quality, well made guitar with excellent playability and action is going to be expensive.

I can agree to that but there's a way around it. Never mind the bindings and paint jobs and put your money on good wood and hardware. My SG faded special was a good example of it and my custom made guitar is a "no frills" for $900.

Another good example is a Carvin bolt kit which I ordered a few weeks ago. I'm just gonna poly wipe the guitar.
Quote by PanHead
Another good example is a Carvin

I wuv my neck-through Carvin.

It sounds really good and everyone who plays it is jealous of its playabilty.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

I wuv my neck-through Carvin.

It sounds really good and everyone who plays it is jealous of its playabilty.

I'm about to find out soon.

I'm afraid my BD will be in the case 99% of the time.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

An average beginner would buy a new better guitar after one year of playing, but it is very unlikely they would buy a new amp, so if you were playing a better guitar rather than an amp and then buy a new even better guitar but still have a crappy amp then it wont sound good,

im not saying buy a totally cheap guitar but the amp just has to be of better quality

Originally posted by GOD
Ok.

1:

It depends really about how much money you want to spend, although for a first timer I don't suggest anything too fancy. Try to spend from about, $100 to $300 at the very most. Remember, just because a guitar looks good, doesn't mean it'll sound good, and sound is what you want to acheive. So if you see a guitar you fancy, read about it first.

2:

Basicly the same as number 1, but be sure to read some threads about different types of amps here, there's some good stuff on UG. But once again, don't go out getting like a 400 Watt amp, unless you'r locking yourself in your basement until someone digs you out; which I guess, and hope your not.

3:

If you playing electric guitar, use a plectrum(different to a pic but called the same), they're plastic things that you strum with, I hope you know that.

Good luck learning guitar, and remember, if you cut you hair it means your not being persistant.
Even just find a local musical instrument store and ask them to set you up with a starter kit. You get guitar amp etc cheap and all together.
Look up tabs for your favorite A7X songs.... But they are REALLY hard sometiems so dont give up.

Good luck my friend
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

Uh wow this is a great community here, everyone so helpful, thank you guys! I'm taking all of your advices.

akm_202 - I'll definitely check out those beginner things you listed :P.

The Downfall - Like I said I know nothing of guitar :-p, I knew what a pick was but not spectrum. And I Have very short hair :{.

Teh_Asian_Pro - Heh thanks I'll try to look for some tabs on the net ^_^.

Thank you to everyone else who replyed!
About the tabs, don't take them too literally as they are interpreted by the composers who made them.

As you play with them you'll get the groove of 'em and may make your own interpretations (or correct 'em ).

Trust your ears and have fun.
Yeah, the Bat Country bass tab sounds a little off during chorus imo, and I like to improvise.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

Quote by Teh_Asian_Pro
Yeah, the Bat Country bass tab sounds a little off during chorus imo, and I like to improvise.

That's good and whether they need corrections or not use your imagination. Lots of times when I have repeating phrases I change a note every other phrases to give it a rocking feeling. Improvising is real fun and don't be afraid to make mistakes, you'll learn from them.

I like playing with the tabs and alot of them are quite good. I have both powertab and guitar pro.

Also a bunch of text tabs.
Do I need to learn like where the music notes are everywhere or can I just learn TAB and be ok with it without having to know how to read from actual music sheets?
I'm in the same boat as you. I just started playing about 7 months ago. I started out with an Epiphone SG, but I'm also 26, so I had a bit more money to throw at a new hobby than some people.

I'd suggest getting the book Fretboard Logic. It's blue and has a picture of The Thinker on it. It's really really heavy on music theory and can get overwhelming at times but I've found that alot of what it goes over is really helpful for understanding how to actually make music.

The first DVD I started with was eMedia's essential Rock Guitar DVD. It only teaches the absolute basics, but I found it to be really easy to use.

The biggest thing I can tell you is not to get frustrated at all. Just stick with it, even if you don't sound like a god right out of the box.
yeah you can get away with only reading tabs and u'll be happy with that at first. then you'll be into it maybe two or three years and wished you knew notes and theory and since ur already into it its hard to break the habit and get into notes and stuff. i wish i would've stayed with notes and stuff when i got into it cuz its way easier to understand music. learn notes first. u can go ahead and learn tabs but make sure you dont get away from notes.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
MrPilkington - Haha, my friend I didn't even start yet :-p! I'm going to buy a guitar pretty soon but I'll definitely give a look at that book you recommended thanks!

NSHSpolevault - I know how to read tab but I didn't get used to it at all since I don't play guitar yet :p. I do know all the treble and bass cleff notes though due to me playing a Trumpet and a Trombone heh. I'll definitely try to read both notes and tabs thanks for the advice!