Ok so I called it a "sort of" build cause all I really did was take some parts I had laying around and buy some new ones, cut everything up the way I like it, and screw it all together!

Body: Normal strat body, cut out about 25 years ago and never finished. I cut the cutaways considerably deeper, and sculpted back the heel, somewhat after the Ibanez style heels. I carved a little bit more out of the bottom left front, to rest my arm on, and smoothed out the belly carve in the back.

Neck: Again, this used to be a normal strat style neck; I cut the headstock to taste, thinned it out a bit in the back, sculped the back to the new heel, and did a full scallop. The fretts are jumbo, the wood is obviously birds eye maple, and the fingerboard is ebony. I snagged this off eBay with a nut and truss rod already installed, because I can't make a neck yet.

Electronics: GFS pre wired pickgaurd, cut to fit the deeper cutaways.

Hardware: A mixed bag really; Fender licensed bridge, knobs off a Jackson RR3 I used to have, Wilkinson tuners ( they're quite bad ), and Greasy Groove neck plate and jack.

Finish: Wood stain I got a Home Depot . You'll notice I don't know how to make the grain even with the "other parts" of the wood...

I actually ended up selling this recently on eBay for more than I thought it was worth, $640! Wahoo ! Sorry I don't have pics from the beggining as a proper build thread should, I put this one together before I was a frequenter of the GB&C forum. Also, something about the headstock coloring is that it was mostly done with crayons I found in my office, no joke ! Also, that's my signature at the top, Mike Misulia.

Here's a CRAPLOAD of pics, what do you all think?

Last edited by lumberjack at Feb 15, 2009,
that is freaking amazing.... i love the grain, and i still cant believe you made a strat look GOOD!
EDIT: would be amazing with a locking strat trem (they have those now!!!) they are add-ons though... just another new bridge, but no locks up top
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
what is the advantage of "scalloped" frets? they look uncomfortable and look like they'd hurt my fingers
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Quote by cukd7x-a2-
that is freaking amazing.... i love the grain, and i still cant believe you made a strat look GOOD!

Thanks! Most of the mods I did to the normal strat design were simply to do away with the parts of a normal strat that I don't like, i.e. big time heel block, small frets, poor ( ok it's not that bad but it could be better ) access to the high frets, and being limited by the whole 21 fret thing, which I never totaly dug.
something about the frets scares me but it probally plays really good i just can't get over how deep the frets are
Quote by demiphoenix
That's beautiful. Remind me what the U shaped frets do/are for?

Personally, I think playing bends and really wide vibrato is easier on a scalloped fingerboard, as well as pull-offs, hammer-ons, and tapping. That's just my opinion though.

Quote by ESP_Shreder
Simply amazing! I wish my build was that SICK!

Maybe, but yours is an actual build, and all I did was re-cut a bunch of parts . Hopefully I'll be brave enough to try something like yours someday soon!
Last edited by lumberjack at Jul 21, 2008,
so how much did this end costing you altoghter, if its in teh orignal post sorry, i only read the last paragraph/ and i think it looks great!
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by LP Addict
use a straight edge for your tuners =]

Yeah, they came out pretty ugly, I didn't figure on straightening up the little screws since the tuner peg holes were already drilled straight =\. Lesson learned!

Quote by metalwarrior40
so how much did this end costing you altoghter, if its in teh orignal post sorry, i only read the last paragraph/ and i think it looks great!

It ended up costing me about $250 in parts, and about a billion hours in labor!

Thanks for the comments everyone.
wow, i just read the whole post, you got 640 for it! I'm gonna start putting some guitars up on ebay!
Quote by carousel182
wow, i just read the whole post, you got 640 for it! I'm gonna start putting some guitars up on ebay!

eBay is the greatest! I have not needed a "normal" job for over a year due to buying, fixing, or making and selling guitars on eBay and Craigslist. Granted I'm only in college, so my bills arn't too extreme...