I don't know if theres anyone here whos had experience with creating a music video for themselves but I just got hired by a local band to produce their music video. I'm interested in seeing if any bands out there wouldn't mind letting me see their videos, or have any tips. I really want to do a good job on this because if all goes well I can be sure to expect to be doing more music videos for them and other local bands.
I did a few during my high school days, unfortunately don't have access to any of them. All I can say is that when some of the local bands asked me to help on it, one of the first things I did was come up with a theme for the video. Often I followed the story the song was trying to get across, that's probably the easiest thing you can do. It's also good to mix that in with the band playing the song. And if you can get access to a green screen of some sort, that's a good way to spice everything up. So, shoot them playing a song a few times to get a bunch of different angles/views/close-ups and whatnot, I'm sure you have skills in video composition if you are being asked to do this. The best thing about shooting music vids is that it doesn't matter how much background noise there is, because the audio doesn't even matter.

Did that help at all? Or did I just tell you a bunch of things you already knew? lol
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Well I think it'd help first off to know what kind of video they are shooting for. Are they going for something like a story told by the video like stinger said, or is it more of them just playing?
Quote by stinger12345
I did a few during my high school days, unfortunately don't have access to any of them. All I can say is that when some of the local bands asked me to help on it, one of the first things I did was come up with a theme for the video. Often I followed the story the song was trying to get across, that's probably the easiest thing you can do. It's also good to mix that in with the band playing the song. And if you can get access to a green screen of some sort, that's a good way to spice everything up. So, shoot them playing a song a few times to get a bunch of different angles/views/close-ups and whatnot, I'm sure you have skills in video composition if you are being asked to do this. The best thing about shooting music vids is that it doesn't matter how much background noise there is, because the audio doesn't even matter.

Did that help at all? Or did I just tell you a bunch of things you already knew? lol

Haha yeah I was considering either telling a story while occasionally showing them performing or only them performing while adding some cool little effects. Yes I do have a green screen that I am defiantly going to take advantage of. I think what I'm going to do is ask the band how they think it should be. they are quite the creative bunch, they do right their own stuff, so they must be. Other than that I'm just going to be the director an occasional videographer and editor.
Here's an idea for you http://youtube.com/watch?v=jQim6qMvh5I&feature=related

This is probably the first idea that popped up in my mind for an easy video. Basically set up in a room / garage or wherever, film the song around 5-6 times from different angles. Make some of the angles stationary, and some of them with some movement, and one angle all spruced up (like toward the end when Anders is grabbing the cam). Just an idea!
Quote by Metalfan757
Here's an idea for you http://youtube.com/watch?v=jQim6qMvh5I&feature=related

This is probably the first idea that popped up in my mind for an easy video. Basically set up in a room / garage or wherever, film the song around 5-6 times from different angles. Make some of the angles stationary, and some of them with some movement, and one angle all spruced up (like toward the end when Anders is grabbing the cam). Just an idea!

Hey thanks, that really does help. Its a good thing I've got three cameras to do this with or I'de be out there filming all day, haha.
I have done many videos however I'm just starting my first music video for a contest entry. Nothing long at all however it will be awesome in the end.

[edit]
Here's that music video I was talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcmT4oUXccI
(I decided to finish up the editing tonight)
See my blog at UG for more info on the high quality stereo video file.
The production was done with 1 camera and I filmed and recorded the song at the same time to keep sync close however I could not do well with the kick pedal shot.

[/edit]
The trick to syncing everything is to play the actual audio track (CD version or whatever) while you film each shot. This way each member of the band can play along with it (even though amps and such are normally turned off) and everything will look like its really played. I'm not exactly sure how high end TV music videos are done but im sure its a similar style.

Im sure theres tips on youtube on how to make music videos.
Green Screens are a nice feature if you have a budget for them and lights. Tubetape.com is a great place for chroma key products like that.

Since you have 3 cameras that will help a lot with syncing up.
As for post production stages, make cuts to the beat of the music but dont cut too often.
look up pro. grade videos on youtube or watch them on TV.

Interesting camera angles really add a lot IMO
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 22, 2008,
Yea 3 cameras will cut the filming time way down, I was gonna ask if you had more than 1 cam but I figured not to bother since it'd be discouraging if you didn't. Like Moody said, have the band play along with the audio.

Also, I've found that recording the audio itself during filming helps me out big time in syncing the video with the audio track. It depends really on how you are cutting the video and what program or tools you may use to cut the video, but in my case, when I use my video program, I have a video track, along with an audio track under it containing the audio recorded during that filming. This way, you can visually sync up the sound waves for each track and the video should be in sync with the song itself. Just make sure in the end all the audio recorded during filming is muted
Quote by moody07747
I have done many videos however I'm just starting my first music video for a contest entry. Nothing long at all however it will be awesome in the end.

[edit]
Here's that music video I was talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcmT4oUXccI
(I decided to finish up the editing tonight)
See my blog at UG for more info on the high quality stereo video file.
The production was done with 1 camera and I filmed and recorded the song at the same time to keep sync close however I could not do well with the kick pedal shot.

[/edit]
The trick to syncing everything is to play the actual audio track (CD version or whatever) while you film each shot. This way each member of the band can play along with it (even though amps and such are normally turned off) and everything will look like its really played. I'm not exactly sure how high end TV music videos are done but im sure its a similar style.

Im sure theres tips on youtube on how to make music videos.
Green Screens are a nice feature if you have a budget for them and lights. Tubetape.com is a great place for chroma key products like that.

Since you have 3 cameras that will help a lot with syncing up.
As for post production stages, make cuts to the beat of the music but dont cut too often.
look up pro. grade videos on youtube or watch them on TV.

Interesting camera angles really add a lot IMO

Hey yeah I never thought of recording the audio while filming and using that to sync in post. Thanks a lot man! So I noticed you're using this video to enter marks give away contest. I'm also planning on entering, but I'm not sure what to enter since all of my talents are very mundane.
So far I see quite a few "stupid" talents posted for his contest. I think most will be this way TBH and you should just post the first thing that comes to mind.

my first thought was a music video showing how I could play all these different instruments and as you can see, I went though with it. I would have liked to put some vocals in however I'm still getting over a cold and my voice Isn't holding up well this week. The double bass pedal shot filled that in though.

Good luck with the contest